Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Movies you expected to enjoy but didn't...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If there is one genre of film that I am more disappointed in than any other it is always science fiction. The thing is I always want to like it.......it's such an open subject but I nearly always find fault. Maybe there is too much license for directors. I enjoyed Her though. I thought that was quite excellent.

You might like Ex Machina. I think it's gone from the cinemas now but should be out on DVD in a while. That is an excellent sci-fi about artificial intelligence and what makes you human, with strong performances from the trio that makes up the main cast.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh, and as for my choice, I'd have to go with Spider-Man 3.

The first two, especially the second, were outstanding. The third, however, was bloated drivel.

Same with X-Men: The Last Stand, actually.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The last two Batman films. Was especially looking forward after the superb Batman Begins but was really disappointed, especially in The Joker. But I won't be happy until Crispin Glover plays The Joker.

Django Unchained. I was really looking forward to this but a weak story and Christophe Waltze's ceaseless mugging just got on my nerves. Surprisingly I thought Decaprio was excellent in it, and I normally cannot stand him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The matrix - it was boring. Alien 3, Terminator 3 and all the batman films

Oh, and as for my choice, I'd have to go with Spider-Man 3.

The first two, especially the second, were outstanding. The third, however, was bloated drivel.

Same with X-Men: The Last Stand, actually.

I don't think I've ever watched a film with a 3 at the end of the title expecting much to be honest...

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Lucy.

A few of my mates told me it was great, and don't get me wrong if the film didn't have scarlett johansson in it it would be a hell of a lot worse, but f*** me it is absolutely awful. It has a 6.4/10 on IMDB as well. Can't trust em.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Django Unchained. I was really looking forward to this but a weak story and Christophe Waltze's ceaseless mugging just got on my nerves. Surprisingly I thought Decaprio was excellent in it, and I normally cannot stand him.

Watched this for the first time last week and have to agree with you. Really looked forward to it, but it didn't seem to know the type of film it wanted to be. Decaprio's teeth were the stand out performance for me.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Inherent Vice

Had high hopes for it but it just sort of went was meh

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Wolf of Wall Street and anything by David O. Russell, who I see reviews all granted the highest scores for, before going in to see and finding it to be generally shouty tripe, again.

I'd go along with the thoughts on Django Unchained, but I went in to see it with low expectations, and they were suitably met.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
To swing the balance back a bit, I loved Django Unchained.I think it's brilliantly written, acted and directed. Superb film.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Inbetweeners II, it was an open goal and they smacked it 5 yards wide.

Terrible film. I loved the TV series and the first film was entertaining but this was rubbish. When they are sitting by the car, lost in the desert and it suddenly just ends I was thinking "is that it"? Awful.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wolf of Wall Street and anything by David O. Russell, who I see reviews all granted the highest scores for, before going in to see and finding it to be generally shouty tripe, again.

I'd go along with the thoughts on Django Unchained, but I went in to see it with low expectations, and they were suitably met.

A few funny moments in Wolf but it just went on and on with a vast chasm of about 45 mins in the middle where literally nothing happens.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To swing the balance back a bit, I loved Django Unchained.I think it's brilliantly written, acted and directed. Superb film.

I might need to give it another watch...My expectations were quite high so that always subjectively clouds the judgement. Just thought it couldn't make up its mind whether it was gritty realism or super stylised, it seemed to lurch between the two, when in the end you needed to realise it was more Frank Miller than John Sturges.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Public Enemies

Johnny Depp
Christian Bale

A film about John Dillinger

This is going to be BRILLIANT.

Nope. Not terrible, but a MASSIVE missed opportunity.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A Fish Called Wanda

'Cleese and Palin together again!' I thought. Sadly it was utter rubbish. I've tried several times to re-watch it and never made the end. I don't think Cleese has done anything remotely funny since 'Life of Brian'.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I might need to give it another watch...My expectations were quite high so that always subjectively clouds the judgement. Just thought it couldn't make up its mind whether it was gritty realism or super stylised, it seemed to lurch between the two, when in the end you needed to realise it was more Frank Miller than John Sturges.

I love the spaghetti western revivalism, I love the way brutal violence is juxtaposed with wit and humour, and I love the dialogue, some wonderful verbal battles throughout - which is a trademark of Tarantino's movies.

It is gritty realism, in a knowingly super-stylised way! Not Sturges or Miller, quintessentially Tarantino.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here