Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Moved house and previous owners left a shite load of old shite

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Nope alive and well and have been an absolute pain to deal with, throughout the move.
So I wasn't surprised by the state of the place when finally got the key.

You've done well keeping up your usual involvement with NSC given the process you've been dealing with 👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had the same problem many years ago - my solicitor got the sellers to hire a skip and hire people to clear all the rubbish they had left.

I'm sure this is very good advice :thumbsup:

I'm guessing this was a standard everyday occurrence back when you were a property developer ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks like a decent flymo and strimmer there!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did you buy it off anyone related to Jack Hargreaves by any chance?

Exactly my first thought :lolol:
B0ED57A1-187D-4833-8571-F42F75920690.jpeg

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Looks like some good things in there. The vices are worth some money. Is that a Bandsaw on the left hand side, power tools

Looks like a bandsaw. The NSC vultures are circling.
When I moved into my 2nd house the old boy also left a fair bit in the shed ( the rest of the house was empty including light bulbs and door handles I kid you not). He also left loads of old navigation charts as he was a sailor. To my wonderment they were worth money so sold them for £100 which was quite a sum back in the early eighties

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Looks like a bandsaw. The NSC vultures are circling.
When I moved into my 2nd house the old boy also left a fair bit in the shed ( the rest of the house was empty including light bulbs and door handles I kid you not). He also left loads of old navigation charts as he was a sailor. To my wonderment they were worth money so sold them for £100 which was quite a sum back in the early eighties

It’s a scroll saw.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
When we moved into our current home, the previous owner failed to clear the loft. There were bags of clothes, old tvs, vhs tapes and even his wedding photos. Eventually we cleared it all when we did the loft conversion, 9 years after we moved in.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
What if any recourse do I have?

I've photographed the house.
I'll send them off to my excellent solicitor, later.

Just wondering what he's likely to come back and say.

They filled in the form saying the house would be clear

We're talking:-

Filing cabinet.
Clothes.
Bookshelves.
Plants.
Bedside cabinets.
Tat on the walls (amulets and wind chimes!)
An entire shed is completely full.
Curtains etc.
3 wardrobes.

It's all been slung in the garden but it's going to cost a small fortune in skips to get rid of it all.
i'd borrow a van load it up, unload it onto their new front garden and hope someone stops me setting light to it all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I honestly can’t fathom the kind of person that would leave that for someone else to deal with. I almost wish I cared as little about others as they obviously do, how easy would life be.

Yep, take anything you need then contact the solicitor to arrange them coming back and clearing it. If they arrive in person do be sure to crack open a beer and spectate as they lug it all into a van. With the occasional “ooh, that looks heavy” and “mind the roses there please”.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Weird mindset to leave it all for you to deal with, especially when some of it looks looked after.

We moved into a house that was an executor sale, no living relatives, and even that was more empty than that. The only things left were more hidden - in the loft, or top of cupboards, and memorably for us, clothes still in the washing machine: turned on the fuse box and the washing machine carried on the cycle from when it'd been switched off 12 months previously as the previous owner was carried out having suddenly died :eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Weird mindset to leave it all for you to deal with, especially when some of it looks looked after.

We moved into a house that was an executor sale, no living relatives, and even that was more empty than that. The only things left were more hidden - in the loft, or top of cupboards, and memorably for us, clothes still in the washing machine: turned on the fuse box and the washing machine carried on the cycle from when it'd been switched off 12 months previously as the previous owner was carried out having suddenly died :eek:

Funny you should say that.
The loft was the tidiest place in the house.

Having just done the whole 'give it away or bin it' from my previous house, which was left pristine, I vowed to never put anything in a loft ever again.
The hatch is shut and never to be opened.

As I keep reminding Jnr 'you'll be grateful if this policy when I'm dead'. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here