Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Move back to Britain - No way" - any other Albion ex-pats seen Telegraph article

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
No plans, none at all, love Perth, love Australia, love my life here. Enjoy coming back to Blighty for a holiday or business trip but don't want to live there. Been in Perth nearly 20 years now and consider it home.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
No way that i'd return to England. I live in Michigan have a dream job.......the weather has 4 great seasons. Don't know why but everytime I come back to Brighton ( which is one of the best places to live in England) I just think how much worse its got . Think that's society in general though. Maybe me, but just seems too crowded

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No way that i'd return to England. I live in Michigan have a dream job.......the weather has 4 great seasons. Don't know why but everytime I come back to Brighton ( which is one of the best places to live in England) I just think how much worse its got . Think that's society in general though. Maybe me, but just seems too crowded

Agreed. Went back last year for the first time in 8 years and it felt really cramped and crowded.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
someone tell footsoldier that the NHS has been sold off to private corporate mates of the politicians......and that the mail and express are pumping out how the NHS is a failure to mind control those who will welcome the corporate control of medical care in the UK.

england is beautiful land...ruined by too many rules, a rigid system, closed people, and a strange TV / technology / fashion / class / ego / materialistic type of fashion / ethos.

D

Deleted member 18477

I love England but would consider a move to the US for a dream job.

Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though.

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
No way we'd move back now either. Left in '83 (day after we beat Liverpool away in the cup and, yes, I did fly back from US for the final!). Having lived in the UK, France and the US (Tennessee) people often ask us which is best. My reply is that everywhere has its good and bad aspects. I still miss going to watch my beloved Albion, going to the pub, and living by the sea. But I also miss the french food, language, and living in the mountains (Grenoble). But there are also things I'd miss about Tennessee - the friendliness of the people, the convenience of everything, and how cheap it all is. Oh, and the fact that our grandson is here!!!!!! Had to go through a battle with lymphoma a few years back and I have to say the healthcare system here was fantastic. From first symptom to first chemo treatment was 1 week! But of course I do have insurance.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Always going to be a slight bias on this topic because it seems 90% of the people that leave England do so for a better job opportunity.....which in turn brings with it a better quality of living .

I wouldn't fancy living in the US if I was skint !

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Always going to be a slight bias on this topic because it seems 90% of the people that leave England do so for a better job opportunity.....which in turn brings with it a better quality of living .

Been living in Spain for 12years moved to New York this year with family,loved Spain don't mind the States just feel Europe has more to offer would move back to England if needed to but would find it hard to afford a house etc miss my football but have Fox soccer so can watch all Palace games now we are in the old first division.Before anybody mentions Croydon I grew up in Mid Sussex and that would be the area I would choose.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Can't afford to live in my home country (UK) - love it, but as a working class lad there just isn't enough opportunity to be financially secure all the while owning a property will always be a impossible dream. Don't want to be a tax slave on the verge of repossession and homelessness.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I would be very happy to come back... and then I read Footsoldiers comments and I remember the things I hate rather than the nostalgia.

For my kids though, Id come back in a millisecond.......whatever you may think about the education system when you live in the Uk you have no idea how lucky you are.... and this is from someone who has worked with education systems in more than 70 countries.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I would be very happy to come back... and then I read Footsoldiers comments and I remember the things I hate rather than the nostalgia.

For my kids though, Id come back in a millisecond.......whatever you may think about the education system when you live in the Uk you have no idea how lucky you are.... and this is from someone who has worked with education systems in more than 70 countries.

Now that is very interesting.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Oh dear. What has the world come to when someone refuses to come home because they didn't like a comment on a football fourm. That's just so sad.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I don't think they would, you know. Americans tend to have an inbuilt sense that they live in the greatest country on earth, hence why so few of them ever leave home soil even for a holiday.

It's not an inbuilt sense. It's drummed into them as soon as they start school or kindergarten.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
We lived on the Med for 10 years and for the first 7 years, didn't want to come home at all to live. England, specifically Brighton, was an overcrowded dump. Then it hit us. We're getting older, and visiting the private doctor more often. Our parents were dying, aging, getting dementia. Our children were getting married and thinking of having their own children. Our ex-pat friends were leaving in droves. We were lonely and bored. There was nothing to do and no one to see but drive down the coast, stop off at a bar and pay 10 euros for 2 cups of coffee. And then another 10 euros for 2 more, just to pass the time of day, and just trying to avoid falling into the alcohol trap. We're back now with a house half the size and an income half the size. It's a struggle but when we remember just how bored we really were, we realise just how "normal" it is to be back home and it's as if we never went away, though there have been a lot of cultural changes.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Don't know why but everytime I come back to Brighton ( which is one of the best places to live in England) I just think how much worse its got . Think that's society in general though. Maybe me, but just seems too crowded
Agreed. I hadn’t returned for a year and Brighton seemed so run down and shabby. And public transport and taxis are incredibly expensive.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
We lived on the Med for 10 years and for the first 7 years, didn't want to come home at all to live. England, specifically Brighton, was an overcrowded dump. Then it hit us. We're getting older, and visiting the private doctor more often. Our parents were dying, aging, getting dementia. Our children were getting married and thinking of having their own children. Our ex-pat friends were leaving in droves. We were lonely and bored. There was nothing to do and no one to see but drive down the coast, stop off at a bar and pay 10 euros for 2 cups of coffee. And then another 10 euros for 2 more, just to pass the time of day, and just trying to avoid falling into the alcohol trap. We're back now with a house half the size and an income half the size. It's a struggle but when we remember just how bored we really were, we realise just how "normal" it is to be back home and it's as if we never went away, though there have been a lot of cultural changes.

where on the Med is it e5 a coffee?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where did you get this statistic from? A lot of ex-pats I know chose the location then found a job to make it work. I simply do not believe this figure I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here