Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Move all political threads to the bear pit?

Move all political threads to the bear pit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Firstly, I won't commit to going with the outcome of this poll, but I'd like to see what people think.

Should all overt political threads me moved to the bear pit, leaving the Big Board free of them?

(Some may ask who/what defines what a political thread is, which is fair. A pragmatic decision would have to be made on a case by case basis, but most political threads are very obvious)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
On second thoughts it might make the Big Board a bit dull - too much football :yawn:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Big events like the sacking of what's his name (no racism, just don't know his name) the chancellor, should stay on the big board. Right now there is one for Liz Truss and that should be the main output.
If you isolate politics then why not rugby, cricket or other things certain people are not interested in.
EDIT
With this new NSC can readers opt out of seeing certain 'prefix'. In other words not show any 'politics'. Having just clicked on politics I note it now shows all politic posts only. Can I click to eliminate all politic posts?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, not automatically - but should be promptly moved if/when they become vitriolic, or when some idiot seriously derails it (which should warrant a thread ban).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's obviously your forum so you can do what you want, but IMO, stuff should only move to the bear pit once it's crossed a line, or almost certainly will cross a line. At the moment that balance is pretty good.
Think it's a good idea seeing/reading things you don't immediately agree with, has certainly affected my views on some things.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have always loved the fact that The Big Board has such a broad variety of threads, it's something that sets NSC above any other forums I have seen. I very rarely look at The Bear Pit, and rarely comment on political threads, but I use NSC as a news source, so want them to be accessible alongside everything else.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you isolate politics then why not rugby, cricket or other things certain people are not interested in.
Because politics is highly divisive, more so than ever, and some people like to be able to get away from that.

I've been regularly told how it puts people off joining and/or using the site.

Moving political discourse away from the main board would not stop those wishing to spend all their time debating it from doing so, whilst allowing others to not have it shoved down their throats.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With out having any idea of how much work it is for you, A third option of a politics sub forum?
No work at all.

A minute or two to create a sub-forum, and a few seconds to move a thread as and when required.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s nothing ever posted on NSC without the potential to end up in the Bear Pit so I wouldn’t bother. The capacity to find offence in anything and everything these days is mind boggling. You could start a thread on Favourite Summer Meadow Flowers and before long someone’s sparked some controversy and a row ensues! It’s quite beautiful in some ways, very NSC!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because politics is highly divisive, more so than ever, and some people like to be able to get away from that.

Moving political discourse away from the main board would not stop those wishing to spend all their time debating it from doing so, whilst allowing others to not have it shoved down their throats.
I have no interest whatsoever in Cricket, Cycling and a few other threads but don't feel that ignoring a thread on those subjects is having it 'shoved down my throat' :shrug:

*edit* as above, if it goes into other threads then sanctions

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I like this “change your vote” option. I initially voted yes, but then thought no, only if a thread gets out of hand and toxic. They’re easy enough to avoid, anyway. I’ve been quite enjoying the Liz Truss thread - it’s a bit like an outrageous soap opera at the moment, with lots of oohs and ahhs, and “goodness me, I wonder what will happen next”s from the gripped viewers.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

I kinda understand what you're getting at, but there's many threads on the main board that I don't bother reading, simply because they hold no interest for me.
Surely the same applies for those who have no interest in the political threads?
It's a bit 'nanny state' if you go down that path, imho.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

As I said, there is one post for Liz Truss at the moment. If, like the events of Friday, the first page gets filled with politics then there is a reason it happens. At that time I'd imagine many are interested in what is happening in our country. But having said that, one thread to cover all the 'live' events should be enough. As with any live event, others will start a new thread but these can quickly be merged. For me personally I think one thread covering an event is needed using a title that covers that event.
I added this edit to my first post.
With this new NSC can readers opt out of seeing certain 'prefix'. In other words not show any 'politics'. Having just clicked on politics I note it now shows all politic posts only. Can I click to eliminate all politic posts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here