Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mountain Bikes

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
Im looking to buy a mountain bike for £300ish , can anyone offer any advice or does anyone have anything half decent they want to sell?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a nice Giant hybrid, that you can have for £300. It was only about £100 new mind.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I got a Dawes XC1.4 (I think its) back in May that was about £270 and am very happy with it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Get a Kona my firend although £300 notes doesn't buy much

Fatboy Stenno

Feb 26, 2007
Haywards Heath
You could do a lot worse than a Saracen Mantra One. Cost £299.
24 Gears, disc brakes front & rear, front shocks, hard tail. I Bought one in February and am very happy with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unless you want to do extreme off-road I'd recommend a hybrid. Much more useful.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
£300 will buy you shithouse new, have a look on the bay and try to get a decent brand frame at least there are some bargains out there ...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I picked up my mountain bike for £40 in Tesco earlier in the year and well chuffed with it.

Get yourself one of those and you'll have £260 left to spend on more fun stuff. :)

Within reason, unless he's a really serious bike nerd, you probably have a point. Mine was £100 and has given 5 years hassle free service.

Unless you want to do extreme off-road I'd recommend a hybrid. Much more useful.

Also agreed.

£300 will buy you shithouse new, have a look on the bay and try to get a decent brand frame at least there are some bargains out there ...

Unless he is massively serious, there are loads of perfectly good bikes available for way less than that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To ask the question again, WILL YOU ACTUALLY BE RIDING OFF ROAD?

If not get a hybrid bike, there's plenty to choose from, at that entry level prce point.
Test a few and see which fits the best.
If you buy anything from Halfrauds, pick it up and riding to a Local Bike Shop and ask them to give it the once over.

Also don't forget the cycle to work scheme.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bought a Giant for about £300 18 months ago to replace a Giant I'd had for about 10 years ... never had a problem. Actually that's not true, a washer failed on the hydraulics and jammed the brakes on, but apart from that ...

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
looking for mainly off road ,although to and from work as well, looking to buy second hand if possible, thought i might get something better for my money, i had a scott entry level hardtail a few years back which i loved but it got stolen from outside the hove park tavern and ive wanted to get a bike again ever scince. Cheers for your help guys

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having scooped a Mongoose Crossway hybrid in the Evans sale for £180 (was £250) two months back I have to say it has proved to be an absolute diamond of a bike and an absolute bargain at that price. I can't believe I wasted so many years slowly chugging up hills on a mountain bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
looking for mainly off road ,although to and from work as well, looking to buy second hand if possible, thought i might get something better for my money, i had a scott entry level hardtail a few years back which i loved but it got stolen from outside the hove park tavern and ive wanted to get a bike again ever scince. Cheers for your help guys

Being a roadie, I can't help you with specific bikes, but what I will say, to help, is listen to Woodchip or Redland, they are the resident forum mountain bikers.

Also as a word to the wise if you happen to be coming down to the main road, by Whiteways (Arundel), don't do what the fella did today.
As I was reaching the top of Bury Hill, I heard an almighty clatter, along side of me.
I assume the guy realised he was heading towards a main road, couldn't stop in time and just jumped off.
Luckily I was just in time to laugh at him, before coughing a lung up.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I got of a guy for £300,2 years ago. He only had it a year and had paid £700 + :shrug: Try a decent bike shop see what they have second hand. :wave:

Attachments

• kona07_shred24_hi.jpg
    kona07_shred24_hi.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 87

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nice bike, but looks smaller than a BMX Leekbrook! Either you're a minature Albion fan or that picture is deceptive.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I got a GT Avalanche 3.0 for £300 last year. Seems alright. Wanted a Mongoose as it had all the same specs for £40 cheaper or something but they didn't have it. Go to a decent bike shop like Evans

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
£300 from Evans for a '08 Specialized. I've had a few Specialized bikes over the years and found them all to be very good performers.

specialized-hardrock-comp-disc-2008-mountain-bike-2008.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here