Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motty

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did anyone else notice last night that Motty has lost the ability to differentiate between our Black players?

Three times in yesterday's game, when Vassel came on he called him Cole, and vice versa.

I think it may well be time to put him out to grass and get Barry Davies in.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Motson was appalling last night. Why he is rated more highly than Barry Davies is one of life's mysteries. Davies is just pure class. Motson actually got into trouble a few years ago when he said that black players all look the same. i suppose they're not very good in cold weather either, John.:shootself

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jambo Seagull said:
Motson was appalling last night. Why he is rated more highly than Barry Davies is one of life's mysteries. Davies is just pure class. Motson actually got into trouble a few years ago when he said that black players all look the same. i suppose they're not very good in cold weather either, John.:shootself
Agree about Davies, he can give a sense of occassion to tiddlywinks. Motson is a joke.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Motty - time to hang up the sheepskin coat. He has no idea what is going on in the game and is full of facts that have no bearing on the match at all.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
i haven't got a f***ing clue which commentator is better than any other cos i never really listen to them anyway.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I thought his reaction to our equaliser was a bit shit when watching the re-run. He didn't seem at all excited.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
dave the gaffer said:
Did anyone else notice last night that Motty has lost the ability to differentiate between our Black players?

Three times in yesterday's game, when Vassel came on he called him Cole, and vice versa.

I think it may well be time to put him out to grass and get Barry Davies in.

Or even Ron Atkinson!
:lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the full harris said:
i haven't got a f***ing clue which commentator is better than any other cos i never really listen to them anyway.

I concur with that statement !

the only outstanding one was Sir Murray of Wlaker for his awesome clangers.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
zefarelly said:
I concur with that statement !

the only outstanding one was Sir Murray of Wlaker for his awesome clangers.

Shame that Alan Green doesn't do TV commentaries

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Motty had an absolute shocker - wrong players names, waffling during important incidents, and allowing Royle to talk nonsense too.

All I want is a commentator, in the stadium, who can see stuff that isn't on the TV pictures, comment briefly on passages of play, maybe produce a few (A FEW) interesting stats.

I do not need to be told the name of each player as the ball is passed to him!

And PLEASE, NO !! Not Alan Green!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Motty is by far the best depite the odd gaffe. Davies holds onto last syllables too long. 1990 world cup, Brazil V Argentina. Canigiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa scores! Shut up mate, you're not south American yourself you know.

Anyone else hear Joe Royle mix up Lamps with Jamie Redknapp?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Motty did seem to be getting excited at the wrong times. Shouts "AND THAT'S A GREAT BALL FOR SCHOLES" when it was never gonna reach him. Maybe he just had a shit view or sommit.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i used to really like mottys commentry but he did make a few clangers last night i must admit.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Radio commentary is meant for people who can't see and understand what is going on for themselves! Do you really need to be told the names of the players, and who is passing the ball to who / shooting / getting booked etc... ?? :nono:

I wish football commentators on TV would take a leaf out of the TV cricket commentators. We don't need telling what is happening on the screen. Some useful discussion about off-screen incidents, a little historical info / stats is occasionally interesting, and some info about less well known opposition players etc... is all it needs.

Last edited:

To be fair, he also got a few of our white players confused, too.

There are lots of things I like about Motty, but I agree he has been slipping of late. He does make a few too many errors.

But please ... not that twat Stuart Hall.

I've always liked Alan Green for his willingness to openly criticise players, managers etc. He doesn't really care for egos (except his own, of course). But I suspect that, if he is put on the telly, he will be under strict instructions to be as anodyne as possible. That seems to be the telly way of doing things, and it's what makes radio commentary generally better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here