Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Quote has been Mod Edited.

Ok folks, I know when I'm beaten. Fortunately we all support the same football team so we probably agree on something. I promise that in future I will stay in the left hand lane unless merely overtaking and will immediately return to said lane at the earliest opportunity. I will have my speedometer checked at the next service to ensure that its within accepted tolerances. No doubt all of you will also be joining me in the left hand lane, never going over 70 mph and also making sure there speedometer is showing the correct speed. Just hope there's room for all of us. :smile:

No, you are not beaten. I completely agree with all you have said.

I have always found drivers weaving in and out of inside lane much more dangerous than those travelling at 70 mph in middle lane.
I love the hypocrisy that driving at 80-90 mph is morally better than driving at a steady and legitimate 70mph.

The only time I accept this argument is on a 2 lane motorway.

No, you are not beaten. I completely agree with all you have said.

I have always found drivers weaving in and out of inside lane much more dangerous than those travelling at 70 mph in middle lane.

It entirely depends what you mean by 'weaving'. If you mean changing lanes every 30 seconds - that's not weaving, it's good lane management, IMHO.

I love the hypocrisy that driving at 80-90 mph is morally better than driving at a steady and legitimate 70mph.

The only time I accept this argument is on a 2 lane motorway.

Your argument is precisely the same - that because you're not breaking one rule you're entitled to break another. I drive at somewhere between 70 and 80mph on the motorway generally, and using the left-hand lane is nothing about being morally right or allowing me to charge past other drivers - it's simply good manners and considerate use of the motorway. Let me put it another way - given the choice, why on earth wouldn't you do it?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I must be dim ... Let's say that I am on the motorway in my small car that is happy to cruise only at the max allowed of 70 mph. The inside lane is intermittently blocked by slow lorries and caravans. Why make a law that panders to the lawbreakers who want to overtake me? If I have to weave in and out of the nearside lane it is much more dangerous ????

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was driving in my car up the M23 early on Friday and on approaching the Gatwick junction, a car came down the slip road in front of me and moved straight across into the right hand lane. It just seemed weird as we were the only two cars as far as the eye could see.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
what fuxks me off is on a dual carrigeway.some muppet will sit in outer lane usually below speed limit and not move over for anything

Very often along the Old Shoreham Road because (s)he is turning right at the Holmbush roundabout!! Some people think they need to be in the outside lane 5 miles before their turn-off, regardless of whether there is anything in the inside lane....or not:confused:

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
Very often along the Old Shoreham Road because (s)he is turning right at the Holmbush roundabout!! Some people think they need to be in the outside lane 5 miles before their turn-off, regardless of whether there is anything in the inside lane....or not:confused:

If im in the 300zx twin turbo,i undertake and the old girl is pretty loud when floored and scare the crap out of them

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So let me get this right. I'm travelling at 70 in the middle lane and someone comes up behind me. If he wants to overtake he goes in the fast lane, (and of course breaks the law), while I continue at a legal maximum of 70. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? ???

This makes me seethe! You're massively reducing the capacity of Britain's crowded roads, causing stress, traffic jams and economic harm.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This makes me seethe! You're massively reducing the capacity of Britain's crowded roads, causing stress, traffic jams and economic harm.

Very much this. How many times do you go along a 2 lane carriageway with cars in both lanes. then it becomes 3 lane by the addition of a new inside lane and everyone stays in their lane, leaving the inside lane completely empty?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I must be dim ... Let's say that I am on the motorway in my small car that is happy to cruise only at the max allowed of 70 mph. The inside lane is intermittently blocked by slow lorries and caravans. Why make a law that panders to the lawbreakers who want to overtake me? If I have to weave in and out of the nearside lane it is much more dangerous ????

Because most of our motorways are so BUSY that if people don't use lane 1 they grind to a HALT.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

No one is saying you should weave, this means constant use of the steering wheel turning form one direction to the other without and time between each manoeuvre. Not sure where this came from.
What the law is saying is that if the left hand lane is empty move into it. if its already being used by other vehicles then you can't so you don't.

Its interesting than you seem to want to claim the moral high-ground claiming others are lawbreakers when you are also a lawbreaker causing a bigger danger to those around you than those you feel superior to.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very much this. How many times do you go along a 2 lane carriageway with cars in both lanes. then it becomes 3 lane by the addition of a new inside lane and everyone stays in their lane, leaving the inside lane completely empty?

Indeed. Always happens heading south from Handcross Hill (though this is being made into 3 lanes) where the two lanes feed into the outer two lanes and therefore the left lane up the hill remains unused (except by me). This has happened literally HUNDREDS of times when I've used this stretch of road over the years.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No one is saying you should weave, this means constant use of the steering wheel turning form one direction to the other without and time between each manoeuvre. Not sure where this came from.
What the law is saying is that if the left hand lane is empty move into it. if its already being used by other vehicles then you can't so you don't.
Indeed. I would add that you should ideally only move into the left hand lane if there is a two second gap between you and the car in front AND the car behind.

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
Indeed. I would add that you should ideally only move into the left hand lane if there is a two second gap between you and the car in front AND the car behind.

Thats something else that fxcks me off.when you leave a 2 second safety gap and some jerk pulls in front and closes gap.Why the Fuxk do you think i left that gap in first place!!!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I was driving in my car up the M23 early on Friday and on approaching the Gatwick junction, a car came down the slip road in front of me and moved straight across into the right hand lane. It just seemed weird as we were the only two cars as far as the eye could see.

Ah that's an easy one. The driver had just got off a plane, hired a car and hadn't got the hang of driving on the left yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports