Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Look mate I understand what your saying BUT how am I causing a dangerous hazard by driving at the legal maximum. I would argue that consistently switching lanes at 70 mph is more of a hazard than staying in the middle lane.

If the inside lane is empty why would you want to sit in the middle lane?

If a car is traveling faster than you ( yes illegally !) in the inside lane as its empty and being there correctly they then have to move over two lanes to get passed you .
You argument is that , that's the're fault for speeding yes?
But although they are speeding (and breaking the law !) you are causing and bigger hazard and danger by hogging the middle lane doing the mandatory 70 mph trying to stop him passing you more safely.
You are the danger not them, do you not see that?
It's not about who is driving the "most legal" but the safest and its not you.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

Look, you want me to move to the left hand lane, (advisory), so you can whizz past at 70+ thus breaking the law. You do of course have the right hand lane if you wish to carry out that activity. In the meantime you want me to weave in and out of the slow lane so you can carry on your illegal action. What part of 70 maximum don't you understand!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
If the inside lane is empty why would you want to sit in the middle lane?

If a car is traveling faster than you ( yes illegally !) in the inside lane as its empty and being there correctly they then have to move over two lanes to get passed you .
You argument is that , that's the're fault for speeding yes?
But although they are speeding (and breaking the law !) you are causing and bigger hazard and danger by hogging the middle lane doing the mandatory 70 mph trying to stop him passing you more safely.
You are the danger not them, do you not see that?
It's not about who is driving the "most legal" but the safest and its not you.

God, I must have landed on the planet Zog. Look 70 mph is the legal maximum, (yes?), that is considered by law to be the safest maximum, (yes?), so how am I the problem when people want to go faster than that, (and can of course go into the third lane to break the law and get past me). What about people in the third lane doing 80, should they switch lanes to let you past at 90 or 100? I sit in the middle lane doing 70 because that is the legal maximum and therefore nobody should be going faster than that.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
God, I must have landed on the planet Zog. Look 70 mph is the legal maximum, (yes?), that is considered by law to be the safest maximum, (yes?), so how am I the problem when people want to go faster than that, (and can of course go into the third lane to break the law and get past me). What about people in the third lane doing 80, should they switch lanes to let you past at 90 or 100? I sit in the middle lane doing 70 because that is the legal maximum and therefore nobody should be going faster than that.

Re read what I have posted, I can't be arsed to cut and paste.
Lane hogging at 70 mph is causing a bigger danger than speeders going faster than 70.
You are a a greater danger to other road users than those traveling faster.
I repeat, it not who is driving the most legal but those causing a danger to others, and that's you.
If your struggling to understand this, then driving lessons is the way forward. I have assumed you are a full licence holder already?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost

I hope you get nicked and then banned :wanker:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
About time, only problem is how is it going to be policed. I read in the "I" newspaper a combination of cameras and GPS would be rolled out in about two years and a letter would appear in the post if you have transgressed.
Last weekend driving down the M40 to watch the golf at Wentworth I didnt see any traffic until Stokenchurch and guess what a twonk in the outside lane doing about 70 ish so I stayed in the inside lane and undertook him, made no difference he stayed there. Obviously on auto pilot.
A previous post mentioned motorway driving tuition, only problem this was mooted decades ago and was thrown as being unworkable.

Strange that but you have answered a question that has puzzled me.

You say that you undertook as the guy in front was doing 70. So, you are being moralistic about him but consider it ok for you to go over 70mph thus breaking the law.

I cannot get this middle lane hogging up roar. To me if you want to go less than 70mph stay in the inner lane. If you are going at a constant 70mph stay in the middle lane.
So what is the use of an outside lane?. You cannot overtake the guy in the middle lane as you will be breaking the law by going over 70mph. All seems a bit hypocritical to me.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm sorry Doug, but that's nothing more than a comment supporting your job, there are many employments that have massive amounts of restrictions, not just lorry drivers, its the world we live in mate.

Why would I lie? Not a comment, just a fact.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Lane hogging at 70 mph is causing a bigger danger than speeders going faster than 70.
I repeat, it not who is driving the most legal but those causing a danger to others, and that's you.
If your struggling to understand this, then driving lessons is the way forward. I have assumed you are a full licence holder already?

Why is it right for me to have to change lanes to allow you to break the law. Could you give me the statistics that show that staying in the middle lane at 70 is much more dangerous than you breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit. In other words you want me to change lanes so not to inconvenience you but you dont want to change lanes in order to get past me. I think you lost me there.

Oh and I passed my test in 1969 and have driven about 15000 miles every year since.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why is it right for me to have to change lanes to allow you to break the law. Could you give me the statistics that show that staying in the middle lane at 70 is much more dangerous than you breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit. In other words you want me to change lanes so not to inconvenience you but you dont want to change lanes in order to get past me. I think you lost me there.

Oh and I passed my test in 1969 and have driven about 15000 miles every year since.

Unless you have an accredited speedometer, how do you know that you are travelling at 70? The middle & outside lanes are for overtaking only.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you have to reason that anybody who intentionally drives like this with this attitude is going to be a bit pig headed about it.

There are just people that no matter what speed the middle lane is doing, they will just sit there. Too bloody scared to change lanes. The attitude displayed so far is exactly what you would expect from the type of person that does this.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why is it right for me to have to change lanes to allow you to break the law. Could you give me the statistics that show that staying in the middle lane at 70 is much more dangerous than you breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit. In other words you want me to change lanes so not to inconvenience you but you don't want to change lanes in order to get past me. I think you lost me there.

I don't want you to do anything, i have just highlighted what the laws are and how they perceived.
Even back in 1969 they must have taught the "keep left" rule?

Rules and laws have changed significantly since 1969. this could be part of the problem as to why you can't grasp what you are doing is dangerous.
All us drivers have a duty of care to keep up with any changes rather adopt what we did in the year passed the test.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Edited.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Quote has been Mod Edited.

Ok folks, I know when I'm beaten. Fortunately we all support the same football team so we probably agree on something. I promise that in future I will stay in the left hand lane unless merely overtaking and will immediately return to said lane at the earliest opportunity. I will have my speedometer checked at the next service to ensure that its within accepted tolerances. No doubt all of you will also be joining me in the left hand lane, never going over 70 mph and also making sure there speedometer is showing the correct speed. Just hope there's room for all of us. :smile:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Quote has been Mod Edited.

Ok folks, I know when I'm beaten. Fortunately we all support the same football team so we probably agree on something. I promise that in future I will stay in the left hand lane unless merely overtaking and will immediately return to said lane at the earliest opportunity. I will have my speedometer checked at the next service to ensure that its within accepted tolerances. No doubt all of you will also be joining me in the left hand lane, never going over 70 mph and also making sure there speedometer is showing the correct speed. Just hope there's room for all of us. :smile:

There is room for all opinions in this life, there has to be and we all differ ! :lol:
Just a good healthy debate, not worth falling out over :thumbsup:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I tend to find the whole middle lane thing is a bit self perpetuating in that people who are correctly sitting in the left lane have trouble moving into the middle lane to overtake as it is so full.

Having said that, I find it equally annoying when moving to the fast lane to legitimately overtake when 0.3 seconds later I get a BMW (as it always seems to be) appearing 3 feet from my rear bumper and then flashing me.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
There is room for all opinions in this life, there has to be and we all differ ! :lol:
Just a good healthy debate, not worth falling out over :thumbsup:

No offence taken my friend. Just healthy banter. I think driving is one of those things where we all think were right, (and are probably usually wrong!), so I agree we all have different opinions. Mind you if you think my drivings bad, you should see my old lady's. :eek:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Because you drive a lorry by any chance??

To be honest Doug, a vast majority of Lorry drivers I see on the roads are extremely selfish, many will try to overtake another lorry knowing full well both are doing the limit and it just hogs the road for cars etc.

A good driver will take the cruise control off and allow the other to pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports