Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
So let me get this right. I'm travelling at 70 in the middle lane and someone comes up behind me. If he wants to overtake he goes in the fast lane, (and of course breaks the law), while I continue at a legal maximum of 70. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? ???

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
That's the silliest idea so far.

Because you drive a lorry by any chance??

To be honest Doug, a vast majority of Lorry drivers I see on the roads are extremely selfish, many will try to overtake another lorry knowing full well both are doing the limit and it just hogs the road for cars etc.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
So let me get this right. I'm travelling at 70 in the middle lane and someone comes up behind me. If he wants to overtake he goes in the fast lane, (and of course breaks the law), while I continue at a legal maximum of 70. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? ???

I would tell you.....but I don't want to have to ban myself!!!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

Ok, I will try the polite version...........why should you dictate how fast the cars are going on that particular stretch of road? its dangerous for one thing, emergency vehicles may want to get through.

I think you will get shot down on that one fella.

(Assuming that the left-hand lane is clear) ...unnecessarily preventing usage of one of the carriageways. I really don't understand this mentality - if the outside lane is free of traffic, why on earth would you not use it?!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Because you drive a lorry by any chance??

To be honest Doug, a vast majority of Lorry drivers I see on the roads are extremely selfish, many will try to overtake another lorry knowing full well both are doing the limit and it just hogs the road for cars etc.

They are the ones that are working. Empty lorries go flat out uphill while full ones may go 25 MPH slower. Most drivers have just enough time to get home, slow them down and they are stuck in a lay-by all night. Why pick on lorries, why not just let the cars stick to one lane they have no time restrictions?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Yes - you are driving in what is supposed to be an overtaking lane when you are not overtaking, presuming the inside lane, which is the fast lane, is empty. Try reading the Highway Code.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
They are the ones that are working. Empty lorries go flat out uphill while full ones may go 25 MPH slower. Most drivers have just enough time to get home, slow them down and they are stuck in a lay-by all night. Why pick on lorries, why not just let the cars stick to one lane they have no time restrictions?

Just giving you my true (and possibly many others) opinion mate, nothing more nothing less.

I agree that the fact about 85% of our goods are moved around this island does not help matters, but sadly I have come across many more selfish lorry drivers than I have good ones, as for them maybe having to spend more time on over night stops, that's for the employees to sort out with the employers I guess, I do know they get paid for overnight stops, my brother in law was a long distance lorry driver, sadly he died of cancer aged 46. :shrug:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

Sorry, meant to add, many many cars are also working they are not all on a day out in the country!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes - you are driving in what is supposed to be an overtaking lane when you are not overtaking, presuming the inside lane, which is the fast lane, is empty. Try reading the Highway Code.

Points 137 and 138 to be precise.

If there is no one in the inside lane, get the f*ck over!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No other job has as many restrictions as lorry driving. They don't need any more.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But if I do your doing faster than 70 to get past therefore your breaking the law. Do you think if I get over at 70 you can go as fast as you like? Pehaps you should read the highway code.

Sure but if I'm doing 70 you shouldn't be going faster than me because your breaking the law, not me. Points 137 & 138 are advisory, not law.

I didn't say they were law!?

You should only be concerned with your own driving, not others. It is irrelevant whether it is possible for someone to pass you within the legal speed limit, if the left hand lane is clear, then you should be in it if safe to do so.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I didn't say they were law!?

You should only be concerned with your own driving, not others. It is irrelevant whether it is possible for someone to pass you within the legal speed limit, if the left hand lane is clear, then you should be in it if safe to do so.

OK read what I said again! I'm doing 70 in the middle lane. To pass me someone is doing more than the legal limit. Why am I in the wrong?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
OK read what I said again! I'm doing 70 in the middle lane. To pass me someone is doing more than the legal limit. Why am I in the wrong?

Valid point ! but, for some people speed limits are a guideline rather than a rule, I was passed by a lady driver with the " Baby on Board " tag, doing almost 50 in a 40 zone, by the time I had caught up with her she had come to a standstill in a yellow box junction at some traffic lights. She had a friend in the front and they were having a lovely animated chat, rules ? speed limits ? what's that all about ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But if I do your doing faster than 70 to get past therefore your breaking the law. Do you think if I get over at 70 you can go as fast as you like? Pehaps you should read the highway code.

Two wrongs do not a right.

You should concern yourself with your own poor standard of driving before worrying about others.

You seem to have adopted a self policing vigilante stance by saying " I'm doing 70 so no one can get passed me legally so I can position my vehicle where ever I like"

To answer your repeated question as to what you are doing wrong.
You are causing a dangerous hazard that carries a higher penalty as its a lot more dangerous than the speeders you trying to stop.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Two wrongs do not a right.

You should concern yourself with your own poor standard of driving before worrying about others.

You seem to have adopted a self policing vigilante stance by saying " I'm doing 70 so no one can get passed me legally so I can position my vehicle where ever I like"

You can't your causing a dangerous hazard that carries a higher penalty than the speeders you trying to stop.

Look mate I understand what your saying BUT how am I causing a dangerous hazard by driving at the legal maximum. I would argue that consistently switching lanes at 70 mph is more of a hazard than staying in the middle lane.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Look mate I understand what your saying BUT how am I causing a dangerous hazard by driving at the legal maximum. I would argue that consistently switching lanes at 70 mph is more of a hazard than staying in the middle lane.

:ffsparr:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

For one, your speedometer might be out by a couple of mph, someone else's might be out by a couple of mph the other way, so you could have 5 mph difference of 2 drivers thinking they're driving at 70.

If the driver behind is obeying the Highway Code, he is in the inside lane doing a couple of mph faster than you in the middle lane - both within the legal tolerances of speed limits. To get past you he has to pull out behind you in the middle, pull out again to overtake, pull back into the middle lane, then again to the inside lane. Just because you sit all high and mighty in the middle lane.

You've now changed your argument to 'consistently switching lanes'. In busy traffic then clearly you can only do so when safe. However this is twisting your original point of if you are doing 70mph which shouldn't you be in the middle lane - this clearly presupposes the road is relatively clear and you have a choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here