Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You utterly miss my point. I simply suggested that people should not drive along motorways with an empty lane to their left. For you to say that I am therefore calling on people to move into exit slip roads when they don't want to exit is absurd.

I am not "utterly" missing anything! I just responded to what you put in your post, that's all.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There is nothing to stop you undertaking in laned traffic. It's completely legal.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Last week, whilst driving oop norf, I actually saw a motorway electric sign (M40/42 ?) saying 'Keep to the left Unless overtaking'. Much more useful than the usual non-information stuff that appears on these signs.

Agree with that. Think bike, think biker ... what the feck does that mean?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Fining middle-lane hoggers on the spot would be very dangerous ... imagine ... the police car comes up behind the hogger in the middle lane, stops him "on the spot" in the middle lane, gets out for a discussion and writes a ticket ... hellish back-up building in the middle lane behind the stopped vehicles, people being killed and injured ... disaster.

Or am I misunderstanding something???

Sussex By The Sea
Jul 21, 2011
The People who undertake I find far more dangerous, they should be made to retake their driving test after a minimum period of 6 months off the road. This would also see off many of our "overseas" dangerous drivers.

If you pulled over out of the middle lane, they wouldn't have to.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
About time, only problem is how is it going to be policed. I read in the "I" newspaper a combination of cameras and GPS would be rolled out in about two years and a letter would appear in the post if you have transgressed.
Last weekend driving down the M40 to watch the golf at Wentworth I didnt see any traffic until Stokenchurch and guess what a twonk in the outside lane doing about 70 ish so I stayed in the inside lane and undertook him, made no difference he stayed there. Obviously on auto pilot.
A previous post mentioned motorway driving tuition, only problem this was mooted decades ago and was thrown as being unworkable.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Fining middle-lane hoggers on the spot would be very dangerous ... imagine ... the police car comes up behind the hogger in the middle lane, stops him "on the spot" in the middle lane, gets out for a discussion and writes a ticket ... hellish back-up building in the middle lane behind the stopped vehicles, people being killed and injured ... disaster.

I think somehow the police would get the driver to pull over onto the hard shoulder and stop so they could issue a ticket. The police would have to use their judgement on whether or not it is safer for a motorist to stay in the middle lane rather than alternating between lane 1 and lane 2 when so many lorries are trundling along in lane 1.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The People who undertake I find far more dangerous, they should be made to retake their driving test after a minimum period of 6 months off the road. This would also see off many of our "overseas" dangerous drivers.

Not sure I agree. Driven for miles in USA where undertaking is normal (in most states) and have always found it helps traffic flow and you tend to get more consistent average speeds without the stop start we get here with the need to keep switching lanes. Exceptions are the freeways around LA. OK our rules of the road are different and it would take time for motorists here to adapt but in three or more lane highways I think undertaking would be much safer and free traffic flow.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think somehow the police would get the driver to pull over onto the hard shoulder and stop so they could issue a ticket. The police would have to use their judgement on whether or not it is safer for a motorist to stay in the middle lane rather than alternating between lane 1 and lane 2 when so many lorries are trundling along in lane 1.

My post was an attempt at humour (lost on you, unfortunately) based on the fact that the driver of course would not be stopped literally "on the spot" as suggested, but more likely on the hard shoulder a few yards further along.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Do they carry the 'spot' with them or will they be strategically placed alongside the motorway network every mile or so?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My post was an attempt at humour (lost on you, unfortunately) based on the fact that the driver of course would not be stopped literally "on the spot" as suggested, but more likely on the hard shoulder a few yards further along.

The humour was originally made in post number 7 :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wouldn't it be less confrontational if the rule was to merge in turn at the end of a queue, then no-one gets an advantage, regardless of what lane they are in.

Maybe in Heaven that happens but here, in the real world, most drivers seem to think that they can steam as far as possible down the emptying right hand lane and then just expect people to let them in 30 yards before the lane closes.

kjgood

Well it appears my motorway driving career is finally over. Over 50's are now classified as eldery so I qualify there, Top of the range cars, probably my E class mercedes work car and mercedes SL on a sunday qualifies me for that, and I do wear a hat when I play golf so I also qualify there.

Finally I do also spend a lot of time in the outside lane 'Going as fast as I feckin well can'!!!!!!!!!!!

Suppose i'd better send my season ticket back as its hard to drive from South Wales to Falmer without using the motorway.

A lot of undertaking stems from the frustration of people travelling too slowly in the fast lane and people hogging the middle lane. You see these idiots driving for miles in the fast lane in their top of the range cars even though both middle and slow lanes are available, but god forbid they should have to inconvenience themselves by switching from their 'rightful lane' for a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here