Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorway closed for 24hrs due to man on bridge. Who makes these decisions?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Serious question. Has anyone actually killed themselves this way in this kind of incident? I can't remember one which hasn't resolved in the person leaving the scene peacefully. It strikes me, if that is the case, that the person in question wishes to attract attention rather than kill themselves.

There was one recently in Shoreham. He didn't die immediately but did die of his injuries.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There was one recently in Shoreham. He didn't die immediately but did die of his injuries.

That's terrible. I wonder if the gentleman had been spoken to or if it was a hasty action which didn't allow help to arrive in time. For one thing, it shows that however inconvenient, it's worth the effort to try to persuade the person that they can receive help.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
"The M42 in Worcestershire has been reopened after a 24-hour closure and the Highways Agency said traffic was now "flowing freely".

Police said a man who had been making threats to harm himself, while standing on a bridge at Catshill, was safe.

The motorway had been closed since Saturday lunchtime while the man remained on the bridge"

Imagine the chaos caused. How many people had their weekends ruined.

If the guy wanted to jump, let him effing jump. He gets what he wants, the motorway reopens, and people who want to get on with their lives can do so.

Can you imagine the mental state of this guy to actually want to do something like this. You started this thread just to get a reaction, if you didn't you really are a heartless soul.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Obviously you have to close it while he's up there to prevent him harming motorists, but surely the authorities could've got him down a bit quicker.

Agree with this.
British police always seem to close roads for bloody ages whenever there is an incident.
Seems to have got worse in recent years and there seems little or no interest in keeping traffic moving as far as possible.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Serious question. Has anyone actually killed themselves this way in this kind of incident? I can't remember one which hasn't resolved in the person leaving the scene peacefully. It strikes me, if that is the case, that the person in question wishes to attract attention rather than kill themselves.

In my experience there's a lot of truth in what you've posted, People hell bent on killing themselves try not to draw attention whereas those that do try and attract a lot of attention rarely go ahead with it and it appears to be a cry for help as much as anything.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Agree with this.
British police always seem to close roads for bloody ages whenever there is an incident.
Seems to have got worse in recent years and there seems little or no interest in keeping traffic moving as far as possible.

Why is your journey more important than someone else's life?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

What a twatty question.
I am not saying that;I have merely made the observation that on a general basis roads seem to be shut for an inordinate amount of time whenever there is an incident of any sort.
I think this has generally been acknowledged and may be down to the fact that the cops regard any 'incident' as a possible crime scene.
In times gone by,there appeared to be a greater effort to deal with both the incident AND keep disruption to the general public to a minimum.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

When my daughter was at Uni in London - living in Camden - there was a railway bridge over one of the main roads in to London from the North, and the road was relatively regularly closed because someone had jumped.

The callous attitude of some people to this sort of question I find hard to take.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

The guy's life clearly wasn't important to him, so why screw up the plans of thousands of people? Don't they have an equivalent of Beachy Head nearby where he could go and jump without affecting others.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was on the road yesterday afternoon making my way back from Cadbury World in Brum back down to Glouc. Very sad but praise goes to the police for saving his (and possibly others) life.

This reminds me of a documentary I watched earlier in the year about people jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Link below but be warned, the video contains potentially disturbing footage.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Have the police not watched Lethal Weapon? Mel Gibson would've had him off that bridge in no time.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
"The M42 in Worcestershire has been reopened after a 24-hour closure and the Highways Agency said traffic was now "flowing freely".

Police said a man who had been making threats to harm himself, while standing on a bridge at Catshill, was safe.

The motorway had been closed since Saturday lunchtime while the man remained on the bridge"

Imagine the chaos caused. How many people had their weekends ruined.

If the guy wanted to jump, let him effing jump. He gets what he wants, the motorway reopens, and people who want to get on with their lives can do so.

On it theory of let him jump guess what happens next,more people will probably die when he lands and the motorway gets closed for 24 hours while an investigation and a clean up begins.****

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I'm sure something like this happened in Japan or somewhere a couple of years ago. Police had set up trampolines or a big hammock type thing under the bridge, but after waiting, another motorist or a pedestrian got really annoyed and just went and pushed him off the bridge on to the trampoline thing.

It'll be on YouTube somewhere, haven't got access as I'm at work

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so, should we have some sort of euthanasia pod, somewhere in each town where people who've just had enough can go and quietly suffle off this mortal coil. efficient, no trouble to other members of the public.:fishing:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It never ceases to amaze me when these threads come around, how little compassion people can show for another human being, who is clearly so troubled. This is someone's child, it could be someone's parent. That they reach a mental state where they are preparing to overcome every instinct of self-preservation and end it all, is a very sad state of affairs. Only made sadder by people deciding their petty journey from a to b is more important than a fellow human being's LIFE. Whether a 24 hours road closure is an appropriate response is a different matter, but "let them jump" is frankly a sick response.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree with this.

Absolute, total and utter bullshit.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I spent almost an entire eight hour shift a couple of days ago with a man who was threatening to commit suicide.

He told me over the course of the night that his father had died this year, he'd had to sell his house due to the inheritance tax bill. His wife had had an affair with a mate and left him, and then came after what little proceeds of the house he had left. He couldn't see his kids, and his job- which he said he was (perhaps inevitably) struggling with- was on the line due to the circumstances in which he came to my attention. He told me through his tears that he couldn't take any more and had absolutely nothing left to live for. I completely believed he meant it.

I don't know, perhaps I should just have let him go and chuck himself off the nearest bridge though. I mean, it was the middle of the night, so, once I'd cleared the broken bits of him off the carriageway, hopefully I could have had the road reopened by rush hour, thus minimising the inconvenience to some of you lot.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Absolute, total and utter bullshit.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Edna,obviously you have more experience than me in this matter,but I don't think my remark was total and utter bullshit.
There has been quite a bit of discussion in the press about the time that roads are closed following incidents and I think it is a legitimate subject for discussion.
I don't think I am imagining it when I say that lengthy road closures seem to be getting more and more common and a matter of concern for the travelling public.
Hopefully the new laser cameras I have read about may enable evidence to be gathered more efficiently than is the case now and lengthy road closures may reduce in future.
I read your post re the tragic case of the man you helped and quite frankly am surprised that you can compare that incident to more common occurrences on our roads.Of course no-one would have wanted you to let him chuck himself off the nearest bridge and quite frankly ,in your own words,it is absolute total and utter bullshit to suggest otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here