Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists Respect the Law

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
are you asking "are the police there to catch offenders?",
are you?

What is their prime object prevention of a crime or catch the offenders. In motoring cases I think it is to catch and fine the motorist to bolster the finances., that is assuming they get some of the money either directly or indirectly through council budgets.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Replace safety cameras with average speed cameras to stop the speeding between cameras and the heavy breaking just before a safety camera followed by speeding up once past the camera detection area.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
What is their prime object prevention of a crime or catch the offenders. In motoring cases I think it is to catch and fine the motorist to bolster the finances., that is assuming they get some of the money either directly or indirectly through council budgets.

i think the prime objective is the safety of roadusers and pedestrians.
why are you so aggrieved at being prosecuted for breaking the law?
what were the numbers? mph points fine etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG....your luck ran out,everybody speeds,but hopefully over time less people will and the roads will be safer..that's the aim....what speed were you doing out of interest?

38 in a 30 limit. This was the first time I had been caught since 1968, couple of near misses but never actually caught. As regards Ednas assertion about children walking along that road to school that could be said of any road in the country but near to schools most councils have rightly made it 20mph.

Having reached 70+ I know my reactions arent what they were and I believe that instead of just renewing your licence at 70 for 3 years you should have to retake your test before each issue of a renewal of your license and also after a disqualification, especially for DD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i think the prime objective is the safety of roadusers and pedestrians.
why are you so aggrieved at being prosecuted for breaking the law?
what were the numbers? mph points fine etc
Dont get me wrong, I was not aggrieved at being caught, that was my fault my point was the fact that the officer was hidden and couldnt be seen by vehicles approaching either way and there was no indication that the motor bike officers operate in that road. Many told me, who use the road regularly that they are often there but I was unaware. Mind the points will run out soon.

One bad point of reaching 70, and I am not proud of it just pointing it out, but when grandaughter was rushed into hospital I said to my son if you have had a drink phone me and I will drive if I get done for DD it wont affect me as my wife does most of the driving so could do it all. This attitude is wrong but in an emergency I would do it if just over the legal limit obviously not if drunk as such.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Dont get me wrong, I was not aggrieved at being caught, that was my fault my point was the fact that the officer was hidden and couldnt be seen by vehicles approaching either way and there was indication that the motor bike ifficers operate in that road. Many told me, who use the road regularly that they are often there but I was unaware. Mind the points will run out soon.

i dont understand the being hidden thing, why would they advertise it?
the issue is are you doing more or less than 33

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
38 in a 30 limit. This was the first time I had been caught since 1968, couple of near misses but never actually caught. As regards Ednas assertion about children walking along that road to school that could be said of any road in the country but near to schools most councils have rightly made it 20mph.

Having reached 70+ I know my reactions arent what they were and I believe that instead of just renewing your licence at 70 for 3 years you should have to retake your test before each issue of a renewal of your license and also after a disqualification, especially for DD.

Well 38 is pushing it a bit,but i have done well over that in 30 zones in my younger years,i don't now and for the sake of 1mph i probably would not be attending a course..

We all know that the blanket speed limits for roads are a bit dated and not every road is the same,but a system has to have some form of control to it..

The road i was caught doing 36 was on an industrial area,it has pedestrian footbridges and barriers to prevent people walking on the roads,it leads to a dual carriage way,has good visibility and that in turn leads to the motorway....go a few miles down the road and i can drive out of Sharpthorne and go towards Wichcross and exit sharpthorne and go on a twisty turning single carrige road,with plenty of blind bends,exits of private property and adjoining roads and do 60mph........crazy!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Dont get me wrong, I was not aggrieved at being caught...

er, that precisely what you are:

... my point was the fact that the officer was hidden and couldnt be seen by vehicles approaching either way and there was no indication that the motor bike officers operate in that road.

you feel its unfair and shouldnt have been caught because the methods used.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Funny,i think we all agree too..... :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The speed limits were in the main set a long time ago and before cars had the brakes and stopping capability that they have now.

and crumple zones and air bags,and yet still thousands die every year, which is the point, no?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Somewhat, had there been a sign saying mobile speed cameras I would have said my fault end of story rather than while giving me a ticket 3 other cars raced by and not caught. I was the unlucky one.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Somewhat, had there been a sign saying mobile speed cameras I would have said my fault end of story rather than while giving me a ticket 3 other cars raced by and not caught.

given it was nearly 3 yrs ago you do seem quite upset still.

if they had a sign, you would have slowed down briefly.
the system is inviting you to think about your speed all the time,
they've thought this shit thru pops, do you see that,
before driverless vehicles remove any choice

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Somewhat, had there been a sign saying mobile speed cameras I would have said my fault end of story rather than while giving me a ticket 3 other cars raced by and not caught. I was the unlucky one.

Perhaps the lesson here is to keep our sat navs on as a reminder...

That said are you sure that there is not a sign at least somewhere on that road leading in or out that states police speed check area or even a sign with a camera on it?

Ultimately a 30mph sign is all that is required,if you passed one of those and you probably did that is sufficient.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS give it up.

'Oh I got caught but there were 3 others racing past who didn't, and were worse than me'.

You have been proven to be unable to judge speed when sat in a car with speedometer a foot away from your eyes.
Yet we are supposed to believe you were in front of Button, Mansell and Hamilton, and able to judge their speed while being ticketed by the police, for SPEEDING.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps the lesson here is to keep our sat navs on as a reminder...

That said are you sure that there is not a sign at least somewhere on that road leading in or out that states police speed check area or even a sign with a camera on it?

Ultimately a 30mph sign is all that is required,if you passed one of those and you probably did that is sufficient.

I went back next day to check and there is a 30 sign on the corner as you turn into the road ftom a 40mph. Going from Hickstead to the triangle it is national speed limit then passing the Triangle it becomes 40 then turning into Sussex Way it is 30 and he was in The Woolpack car park behind a van.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can, just about, understand all these entitled kidz not taking any responsibility for their actions.
As much as it gets on my tits, it is all part of 'growing up'.

But so much of NSC is 'I know I did wrong but how can I weasel out of it, cos it's not fair'.
It really does my head in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here