Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists Respect the Law

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is absolutely no excuse to have your phone held up to your head while driving, the same applies to cyclists.

No, no it doesn't. The mobile phone legislation only applies to motor vehicles, for obvious reasons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly - this is why there has been so many threads about problem cyclists recently. The law really doesn't do enough to tackle dangerous & inconsiderate cycling. It should really not be allowed for a cyclist to sway all over the road while talking on the mobile phone.

Oh FFS, let's not do this one AGAIN.

The reason the law is like it is, is because it stands to reason that a driver who is distracted by using his phone is significantly more likely to kill a pedestrian/cyclist/ other road user than a cyclist who is doing the same. There are a number of cases where drivers have ploughed into cyclists or walkers on straight roads and killed them, simply because they were sending a text at the time. There are no known cases of cyclists killing anyone by the same means.

Look at it for what it is, for once, instead of having this constant feeling of being aggrieved because some cyclists might get away with stuff (just like some drivers do).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Having witnessed on here quite how much you whined when you were quite legitimately caught speeding, I dread to think what your reaction would be if you found yourself nabbed for using your phone while driving.

Ha. Good thread. http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?265941-Radar-Speed-Cameras&highlight=Speeding

You're living a fantasy BG, or your senile.

So far you were clocked at 128.4 mph on the M23 in 1970, which didn't exist until 1975.
In a Audi Quatro GT, which didn't exist until 1980.
By a Police car with a computer in it, in 1970.....!!!!! A computer in a Police car in 1970.!!!!!
Defended by a solicitor who convinced the Magistrate you were Chairman of BHA.

Fair play.

Is your weekend name Walter Mitty?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Use of a mobile phone at the wheel...........a 6 month driving ban would cut figures by 95%

Speeding............£500 and 6 points would make many think twice...

No deterrant= No law or a law's that can be bent or broken

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What would happen if a passenger wanted to make a call, or if the car was fitted with hands free kit.
To make a call they would have to stop turn off the engine and make the call. In the old days you had to stop and use a phone box. If they could bring in that sort of technology they could do so if the call went via the radio and no other hands free.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What about cyclists riding with a phone in their hand and up to the ear.

Deserve to be road kill? (ok very harsh,let's agree end up in a bush not injured) cause and effect....they should be more careful with their lives....and that of pedestrians too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Automatic 6 month ban for using a mobile phone, doubling for a second offence. More speed cameras with more points put on a licence than now leading to serial offenders being banned sooner.

...........leading to more banned/uninsured drivers on the road (sadly inevitable)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
...........leading to more banned/uninsured drivers on the road (sadly inevitable)

5 years inside for uninsured drivers.regardless of circumstance....i'll pay a bit extra tax if needed.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What about cyclists riding with a phone in their hand and up to the ear.

What about them? This happens very rarely. Yet because motorists hate cyclists to get away with anything that they themselves are not allowed to do (though this law is widely flouted), people like you moan about it.

When a cyclist is on the phone, he or she is putting their own life in danger, whereas motorists regularly kill people whilst using their mobile.

I drive and cycle loads, and I virtually never see cyclists on the road using their mobiles. You are making problems up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having witnessed on here quite how much you whined when you were quite legitimately caught speeding, I dread to think what your reaction would be if you found yourself nabbed for using your phone while driving.

My whinge was about the HIDDEN motor bike cop with a gun. Had I put a notice up 100yds either side I would have been breking the law advising people of his presence but achieving the aim of prevention of an offense by slowing the speedsters down. Our car has hands free attached to the radio and activated by voice control other than switching it on via the steering wheel.

As for making important calls in the car IMHO there is no call whatsoever that it so important that taking 30 secs to stop and then make it is that impossible to do.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
5 years inside for uninsured drivers.regardless of circumstance....i'll pay a bit extra tax if needed.

A friend of mine in West Midlands Police reckons that as many as 1 on 3 of the driving incidents she attends around Birmingham involve uninsured drivers :nono:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My whinge was about the HIDDEN motor bike cop with a gun. Had I put a nitice up 100yds either side I would have been breakking the law advising people if his presence but achieving the aim of prevetion of an offense by slowing the speedsters down. Our car has hands free attached to the radio and activated by voice control other than switching it on via the steering wheel.

As for making important calls in the car IMHO there is no call whatsoever that it so important that taking 30 secs to stop and then make it that impossible to do.

If he was "hidden", how did you know he was there?

Besides. You won't speed down there again, will you, so it's achieved its aim.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My whinge was about the HIDDEN motor bike cop with a gun. Had I put a nitice up 100yds either side I would have been breakking the law advising people if his presence but achieving the aim of prevetion of an offense by slowing the speedsters down. Our car has hands free attached to the radio and activated by voice control other than switching it on via the steering wheel.

As for making important calls in the car IMHO there is no call whatsoever that it so important that taking 30 secs to stop and then make it that impossible to do.

Who cares if he was hidden? You were breaking the law.

So shut up.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
A friend of mine in West Midlands Police reckons that as many as 1 on 3 of the driving incidents she attends around Birmingham involve uninsured drivers :nono:

They are a menace,imagine a hard up family,the bread winner uses his van for work,they are living on the edge already,and then some uninsured driver crashes into his van?

Yes agree some areas of the country and even Sussex have a higher percentage of this type of driver.

My whinge was about the HIDDEN motor bike cop with a gun. Had I put a notice up 100yds either side I would have been breking the law advising people of his presence but achieving the aim of prevention of an offense by slowing the speedsters down. Our car has hands free attached to the radio and activated by voice control other than switching it on via the steering wheel.

As for making important calls in the car IMHO there is no call whatsoever that it so important that taking 30 secs to stop and then make it is that impossible to do.

How do you feel about convictions secured by CCTV evidence then BG.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Am i missing something here? has the law changed in that its illegal to use your phone when driving?
I have a fully functional integrated full surround sound hands free kit, have they been outlawed?
Or are we just talking about those that use them holding them in their hands like cyclists do?

On the speed issue very simply fit a cheap tracker box like the youngsters have in the their cars for cheaper insurance.
It GPS so know where it is, what the speed limit is and what the speed the car is doing. So fines could be sent out very quickly and easily in the same way camera's are operated with no human interaction necessary.

so you are saying motorists should be legally obliged to pay to have a tracker fitted,
imagine the tantrum as they realise they will have to respect the law :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here