Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motor Insurance: have I lost my NCD?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Wish you would have looked after me, I have just bought a second car just for use as a summer toy. And although I have 9 year NCB on my everyday car, and 8 years NCB on a motorcycle only one company (Tescos) would let me use the m/c ncb fo the second car but their quote was over £100 more than the others giving me no NCB.

Even admiral who I’m with for the main car said we can you a “multi-car policy” having already insured the first one, and again they were over £150 more the best quote for the second one.
Went with a local company in the end First Central in Haywards Heath.

Just as a matter of interest, whats the car? If its some sort of car you can insure on a Classic Car policy for limited mileage that will be why the NCD you want to use doesn't seem to be making a difference to your best quotes

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Just as a matter of interest, whats the car? If its some sort of car you can insure on a Classic Car policy for limited mileage that will be why the NCD you want to use doesn't seem to be making a difference to your best quotes

Its an MX5, no limit on milage. and not old enough be on a classic policy.
I have a couple of Motorcycles on classic policys.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Its an MX5, no limit on milage. and not old enough be on a classic policy.
I have a couple of Motorcycles on classic policys.

Blimey - surely only the insurance industry would punish such a good customer

(well them and the bankers anyway)

:lolol:

I haven't been a policy holder for years as I am the named driver on my wife's insurance (she has a motability car but can no longer drive). Surprisingly or not I apparently don't qualify for no claims discount should I need to re-insure in my own right at any time in the future even though I consistantly drive around 18,000-20,000 miles a year.

Does this not put you in the same position as the under-25 son/daughter who says they are just an additional driver on their parent's car when they are really the main driver (and, usually, the real owner)? I know insurance companies are clamping down on this sort of thing, and you may find yourself on thin ice if you have to make a claim.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Does this not put you in the same position as the under-25 son/daughter who says they are just an additional driver on their parent's car when they are really the main driver (and, usually, the real owner)? I know insurance companies are clamping down on this sort of thing, and you may find yourself on thin ice if you have to make a claim.

Tricky one. She is the one who qualifies for motability and the whole purpose of the benefit is to help her get about (which having the car does) but she can no longer drive it herself which means that unless I do the driving she will get a benefit she cannot use (or conversely not get a benefit she is entitled to) . Bit of a catch 22.

I'm glad this thread came up and turned the way it has because I'm now going to get in touch with Motability to clarify the insurance situation :thumbsup:

There must be hundreds more in the same position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here