Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOTD2, BBC One 22:30

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lee Hendry on Sky Sports News was extolling our praises for the whole game, "No luck involved, Brighton were the best team by miles"

:clap:

Was also not backwards in coming forward to point out the 'Big Club Bias' of the referee and VAR. Disappointingly MotD were far too polite and pretty much glossed over the deficiencies of the officials. McTominey's leg-breaker attempt was justified by 'Caicedo jumping in', and the penalty 'didn't look much at first sight, but looked at closer' .............FFS, what do the plums think the VAR is there for (Manchester United today, obviously).

Slightly gratifying (but utterly pointless) that it's not just Brighton fans thinking that. It will be fascinating to see how Dermot wriggles out of any criticism of refs and VARs on SSN ref watch tomorrow.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was also not backwards in coming forward to point out the 'Big Club Bias' of the referee and VAR. Disappointingly MotD were far too polite and pretty much glossed over the deficiencies of the officials. .

All three pundits agreed it was a pen, “that’s a pen” said Mark Chapman.”I think United got away with one” said Danny Murphy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All three pundits agreed it was a pen, “that’s a pen” said Mark Chapman.”I think United got away with one” said Danny Murphy.

Yes, but they didn't dwell on it. Didn't even show as many angles as SSN in their clips. Other way round, however ....................................

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, but they didn't dwell on it. Other way round, however ....................................

Well they got a video editor to edit it into the post match analysis giving an opportunity for all three of the pundits to conclude the ref was wrong. (And if it had been a draw then it would have been much more of a talking point I’m sure) .hardly “glossing over” .

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Was also not backwards in coming forward to point out the 'Big Club Bias' of the referee and VAR. Disappointingly MotD were far too polite and pretty much glossed over the deficiencies of the officials. McTominey's leg-breaker attempt was justified by 'Caicedo jumping in', and the penalty 'didn't look much at first sight, but looked at closer' .............FFS, what do the plums think the VAR is there for (Manchester United today, obviously).

Slightly gratifying (but utterly pointless) that it's not just Brighton fans thinking that. It will be fascinating to see how Dermot wriggles out of any criticism of refs and VARs on SSN ref watch tomorrow.

Penalty all day long. Welbeck neither goes down too easily or theatrically. He only has eyes for the ball and is not cunningly waiting for the contact to then go down. Whilst the pundits thought it was a penalty they did rather gloss over it rather than calling it out big time for the awful decision it was.

Just for balance I think they may have had a point about the McTomminey tackle. However, it does raise the query that if two players jump in a little, is it right to give the player who does the damage get a pass when on another day he gets injured?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well they got a video editor to edit it into the post match analysis giving an opportunity for all three of the pundits to conclude the ref was wrong. (And if it had been a draw then it would have been much more of a talking point I’m sure) .hardly “glossing over” .

Good grief! You're not on MotD's books as well as the Albion's, are you?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Penalty all day long. Welbeck neither goes down too easily or theatrically. He only has eyes for the ball and is not cunningly waiting for the contact to then go down. Whilst the pundits thought it was a penalty they did rather gloss over it rather than calling it out big time for the awful decision it was.

Just for balance I think they may have had a point about the McTomminey tackle. However, it does raise the query that if two players jump in a little, is it right to give the player who does the damage get a pass when on another day he gets injured?

Cards and so on should relate to the intention rather than the outcome. See Stephens at Middlesbrough for when this goes wrong.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Cards and so on should relate to the intention rather than the outcome. See Stephens at Middlesbrough for when this goes wrong.

In this case, it's not about intent or outcome. It's about being out of control. If it's about intent, Caicedo went in two-footed so he's lucky McTominay was so slow and came in after. If the timing had been the other way around, then Caicedo would have walked 100% for going in two-footed on McTominay

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think the poster referred to the commentator…Guy Mowbray? He was far to generous towards the ref…thankfully the poor decision and mystifying VAR didn’t affect the result

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Three quarters of an hour in and all the talk on the new White Jordan and Souness show has been about Ronnie …Adam L due to be interviewed ..five mins from the end?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the poster referred to the commentator…Guy Mowbray? He was far to generous towards the ref…thankfully the poor decision and mystifying VAR didn’t affect the result

Following on from defending the ref in the women's final, got to say they are the really difficult ones to call, because in real time it is so difficult to distinguish between excess force of the player to the fouled player throwing themselves to the ground. Ref is about 35 yards back with another MU player between him and the incident. I have a bit of sympathy with him on that one because so many other players try to cheat refs when they feel contact from behind and go down - think how many times Harry Kane cheats in that very situation.

Such a tough job with so much cheating in the game. I hoped VAR would help situations like this where the ref has made a genuine understandable error, but a clear mistake has been made.

https://www.northstandchat.com/images/attach/png.gif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 11.07.37.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 11.07.37.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 208

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Following on from defending the ref in the women's final, got to say they are the really difficult ones to call, because in real time it is so difficult to distinguish between excess force of the player to the fouled player throwing themselves to the ground. Ref is about 35 yards back with another MU player between him and the incident. I have a bit of sympathy with him on that one because so many other players try to cheat refs when they feel contact from behind and go down - think how many times Harry Kane cheats in that very situation.

Such a tough job with so much cheating in the game. I hoped VAR would help situations like this where the ref has made a genuine understandable error, but a clear mistake has been made.

That’s a very good point you make…and i guess my comment should have been made to VAR…was it referred?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

This is where VAR has made a pigs ear of it. Thinking back a couple of years, we got 2 barely deserved penalties against Everton (when Connolly got trod on) and Welbeck against Liverpool when someone caught his foot. If either of those had been awarded against us, I'd have been a bit pissed.

Yesterday, everyone thought it was a foul. I'm sure whoever was sipping tea and munching mars bars in VAR HQ did as well but for whatever reason didn't intervene. Likewise Mctominay is a sending off (think Bissouma away at Newcastle) if we go back in time.

There has been no communication I've seen this year that VAR will let it ride which seems to be where we are. The inconsistency is the big issue as they seem to change their mind constantly about what it is there for but the fans haven't got a clue what it will be used for from one season to the next.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

EIther way its all getting a bit dull now trying to argue that Brighton don't get a fair outing from commentators and pundits. Potter and the players are raved about. Constantly. And who cares if poor old Man Utd are the story today. I imagine Pascal Gross would be enjoying a fair bit of schadenfreude today if he gets a chance to look at Sky, listen to Talk Sport or read the back pages. I
doubt he'll be fretting at all if there are pictures of 3 pictures of Ten Hag and only 1 of him ha ha.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is where VAR has made a pigs ear of it. Thinking back a couple of years, we got 2 barely deserved penalties against Everton (when Connolly got trod on) and Welbeck against Liverpool when someone caught his foot. If either of those had been awarded against us, I'd have been a bit pissed.

Yesterday, everyone thought it was a foul. I'm sure whoever was sipping tea and munching mars bars in VAR HQ did as well but for whatever reason didn't intervene. Likewise Mctominay is a sending off (think Bissouma away at Newcastle) if we go back in time.

There has been no communication I've seen this year that VAR will let it ride which seems to be where we are. The inconsistency is the big issue as they seem to change their mind constantly about what it is there for but the fans haven't got a clue what it will be used for from one season to the next.

In that screenshot posted above - you can see the ref's VAR monitor at the bottom. Even if not an outright overturn of the on-field decision, I would have thought both the McT challenge and the Welbeck pen is a "Paul, we think you might have missed the force of the contact on this one" and let him decide if he did or not. Like you say, VAR now just looks like another clandestine process without any real oversight, impartiality or anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here