Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
I think there was one goal from each month of the season. As such they ignored plenty of belters and included some that were not as good.

As it is a viewers vote, the goal of the month, as far as I can see, rarely is the best goal of the selection. Frequently those scoring for the bigger clubs win as their larger fan base put the votes in.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As it is a viewers vote, the goal of the month, as far as I can see, rarely is the best goal of the selection. Frequently those scoring for the bigger clubs win as their larger fan base put the votes in.

viewers votes tend to become which club has the biggest fan base rather than which one is actually best-which is why i suppose the actual winner was picked by the pundits and not on who got the most votes

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
viewers votes tend to become which club has the biggest fan base rather than which one is actually best-which is why i suppose the actual winner was picked by the pundits and not on who got the most votes

Pundits only looked at 3 with most votes, each of which was from top 3 clubs. Would be fairer if no popular votes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pundits only looked at 3 with most votes, each of which was from top 3 clubs. Would be fairer if no popular votes.

Just seen it. Absolute bollocks. Maupay's overhead kick was clearly superior to Sadio Mane's, and arguably Danny Ings too. Also some vastly superior Albion team goals to the toe punts from Alexander-Arnold et al.

Shambles.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh that wasnt the intention see the post above yours.
I'm yet to watch it back but in my mind I remember the goal as:-

Ball played right across the box, unchallenged.
Then back into Groß feet.
Nobody cut that ball out.
Nobody was in touching distance of Groß.
And nobody was between him and the goal.

What he did was superb - but if that is what happened (happy to be wrong) then that seriously pedestrian defending that Dunk, Webster, Cucu, Veltman hell even Duffy would have been ashamed of.

Have you reviewed said goal yet?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just seen it. Absolute bollocks. Maupay's overhead kick was clearly superior to Sadio Mane's, and arguably Danny Ings too. Also some vastly superior Albion team goals to the toe punts from Alexander-Arnold et al.

Shambles.

I've no argument with Salah's mazy run and finish (against the best defenders in the league) winning it, but just taking each GOTM winner and choosing from them is deeply flawed. There was one month with a ludicrous number of obscenely good goals - obviously only one of which gets looked at. One was an incredible left foot volley from Bernardo Silva, that was comfortably better than 7 goals in the MOTD list.

from 40 seconds, here:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you reviewed said goal yet?

Yeah sure.

Obvs from an Albion perspective I was wrong to down play our teams quality.
But it does stem from the conversation which was 'Moyes hacked off at conceding shite goals' and in that regard his team still don't come out of it well.

Sure he was probably peed off about 1 and 3 and chose to lump them all in together and Groß' goal was superb (a point I did make later on).
GPott Dunk et al wouldn't have been happy about the opposition waltzing through their defence.
Which is kind of Moyes point, and not one I think some Albion fans should get twitchy about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here