Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I too am in the camp of taking someone a lot more seriously if they've been there and done it. I just can't sit and listen to a lady wax lyrical about the Mens PL if the highest level she's ever played at is ladies Monkey Tennis 5-10 years ago. Sorry...

Sorry is not necessary, you make a valid point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I too am in the camp of taking someone a lot more seriously if they've been there and done it. I just can't sit and listen to a lady wax lyrical about the Mens PL if the highest level she's ever played at is ladies Monkey Tennis 5-10 years ago. Sorry...

A good point, but it doesn’t fit with the social engineering of balancing gender numbers for the sake of political correctness.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A good point, but it doesn’t fit with the social engineering of balancing gender numbers for the sake of political correctness.

Which is why I asked if we are allowed to dispute the point in a liberal society. Watching a woman pundit on Prem games means as much to me as my cat meowing for food. The standard she played at was about the level of Sussex County League Three (as was)... I don't want her views.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Great player but who ever thought it was a good idea to make Paul Ince a pundit?! Truly dreadful.

This is the man who thought Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes should have got the Man Utd job a few weeks ago!

Hit and miss for sure, but at least they were playing at that level.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mrs Earle hates women pundits and commentators in football. She says she can say that because she is a woman too. It's not my place to argue with her!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't have a problem with women commentators and presenters on mens footy. I do have a problem with them being pundits. The girl on Sky seems to do every game now and it does my fat manly tits in. It isn't about knowledge or anything, it is because she is a woman. By all means pundit womens footy but not mens. The little line beneath her will say won 8 million medals with Arsenal between 2002 and 2004 or whatever, because basically they were one of the only team playing at the time. There is a limit to this gender aligning in sport. I get so bored of listening to a woman punditaring the mens footy I sometimes wish to have Jimmy Hill back.

I think i would rather have had ANY female pundit i have ever seen rather than Paul Ince. He may have "been there and done that" but he doesn't seem to be able to talk about it particularly authoritatively or coherently.

I didn't like what Gaby Logan was wearing, but she was a perfectly adequate presenter.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Women do punditry on mens tennis, athletics,and, cricket, i don't think that 'been there, done that' is necessarily a qualification for good punditry.
The male pundits on MOTD, Sky, etc are roundly criticised on here as either, big team bias, or not knowing their arse from their elbows, with a few honourable exceptions, so, having a vagina doesn't seem to be a essential to be useless when it comes to views about the beautiful game.

I do agree about the shrill woman on the Wolves game though, more suited to Talksport, IMO.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
There's sexism in others sports too. My missus hates it when men commentate or contribute to the netball when it's on. Comments like 'he's never even played the game' come up regularly. I usually disappear into the other room when it's on.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Her name is Alex Scott.

I like Alex Scott, my issue is the way in which the other pundits handle working with her. In all male pundits teams they disagree with each other or even argue each others points. When AS says her bit then no one dares disagree with her as they are clearly fearing a misogynist/mansplaining backlash on twitter. All for female pundits but she should be treated exactly the same as anyone else, if she is talking bollocks then call her out on it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I like Alex Scott, my issue is the way in which the other pundits handle working with her. In all male pundits teams they disagree with each other or even argue each others points. When AS says her bit then no one dares disagree with her as they are clearly fearing a misogynist/mansplaining backlash on twitter. All for female pundits but she should be treated exactly the same as anyone else, if she is talking bollocks then call her out on it.

The first man to do that will have committed career suicide, that's why. He may indeed have a valid point at the time but that will become invalid when the 'outrage' at a man verbally attacking a woman live on television, belittling women's football and female views on the sport etc etc... Best thing to do is tiptoe around and only get spiky with the other blokes.

Only my humble opinion, but I think I'm right.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The first man to do that will have committed career suicide, that's why. He may indeed have a valid point at the time but that will become invalid when the 'outrage' at a man verbally attacking a woman live on television, belittling women's football and female views on the sport etc etc... Best thing to do is tiptoe around and only get spiky with the other blokes.

Only my humble opinion, but I think I'm right.

Which then means you are not treating her equally.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As is my take on women doing punditry on mens football. Personally I like pundits that have been there and done it, otherwise you could literally put anyone in that seat that has had a kickabout on the local rec.

Hmmmm....You absolutely do not have to be a top player (or even a player) to be a good pundit. Half the bokes we hear droning on come out with utter bollocks on a regular basis. I give you:

"But it wasn't a pen" (yes it was; ref blew his whistle, spot kick, goal scored, are you blind?)
"Yes he did make contact, but he got the ball" (we all know the ****ing rules so why don't you, you're being paid for this shite)
"I don't care what the rules say that should never have been given" (well, **** off then)
"He should have went down and then it would have been a pen" (apart from the shit grammar, you are advocating cheating - this is a job for VAR. Now go away)
"Nobody knowns how VAR will work" (Yes they do, you lazy cretin).

In contrast to this we have the likes of Gabriel Marcotti, who is absolutely bang on. But he isn't a pundit. He's a trained journalist, trained to know what he's talking about.

So you don't have to be an ex top pro to be a pundit. No more do you have to be an ex top pro to be a good manager. Or a bloke, clearly.

Personally the women pundits (and commentators and interviewers) are no different than the blokes, although on average they are better (probably due to greater scrutiny). The woman (can't remember her name but she's a very personable British person of Asian (Pakistani? descent)) who was interviewing players post mtch about a week ago on some channel was really excellent.

No place for anyone other than an ex top pro male in football punditry? Utter bollocks. Sorry.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Women Commentators & Pundits.
Wolves on MOTD was unbearable. Had to turn the volume down. But it's deeper than just sport, it's the BBC being politically correct. I didn't see the Netball recently (was it on BBC) but would be interested if they had some male TOWIE face on just for equality!
Some of the ex England and WPL players do know the game and are good, but don't put up someone just because she is female.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Is this a thread about MOTD or is it just a bunch of blinkered, reactionary old men moaning about women in general infiltrating their domain? Why not go all the way and admit (some of you) that you’d rather not allow women at the games at all? I’m fairly sure there’s a number of you out there who think that way. For what it’s worth, I go to the games, screech at the players, spout ill-informed nonsense, and probably get on everyone’s (including my own) nerves at times. But, strangely, I’ve never felt out of place..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think i would rather have had ANY female pundit i have ever seen rather than Paul Ince. He may have "been there and done that" but he doesn't seem to be able to talk about it particularly authoritatively or coherently.

I didn't like what Gaby Logan was wearing, but she was a perfectly adequate presenter.

There are many male presenters to have objections over, it's a little heavy sided. But it is men playing football and the pundits should be/are men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here