Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most violence seen at goldstone

D

Deleted User X18H

Chelsea '83 i remember as we saw the Chelsea fans making a point of walking down West Street. When did Portsmouth get given the North Stand? I remember that day in town being pretty hairy
83 / 84. Old Joe was in goal.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Last edited:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Before my time fellas but....

Did this ever happen at the Goldstone ?

I heard that there was trouble between bootboys in Luton back in the late 60s,But did we have a Bootboy firm...?

The bootboy thing, D.M's were rare. most of the boys wore their work boots, being apprentice bricklayers or metal workers they were usually steel toecapped heavy work boots often with the steel toecap on the outside.the plod wouldn't let you into the ground with these leathal weapons so the park side of Old Shoreham Road was the safety deposit box you used.
Rarely did you get back what you brought and if you got back to late you were lucky to find a pair that matched let alone were the right size.

Luton away in the 60's was a infamous occasion,at the home game a few Luton kicked in some old dears door in Old Shoreham road and broke into her (cash)pre-pay electricity meter(you put in money,your lights worked.some bloke came round and collected the cash).
This outraged the virile brighton youth and at the away game the indignation of the albion following led to virtually the whole of Luton town centre and loads of Luton's male citizens being indiscriminantly destroyed.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Was there with my dad and brother, I was 14 my bro 12. We was in the north stand and when Brighton scored we didn’t say a word, Couldn’t believe it, My own club and I couldn’t celebrate.

There was Chelsea all around us and they looked really scary, we was more concerned for our dad as we knew if they started on him there was nothing we could do but we just hugged him and said we’ll protect you dad even thou we couldn’t. we was in it together, if they attacked him then they’d have to attack us as well.

At the end, the policeman getting attacked on the pitch, so sad, he’s still in a wheelchair to this day.

Admiration :thumbsup:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I remember it kicked off against Birmingham late eighties (I think?) - it was pretty scary near Hove Station - we jumped on a bus and even though only a few got on, the bus driver cacked himself, closed the doors and drove off.

You just bumped into the Birmingham Zulus, one of the hardest hooligan contingents off the 80's.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My dad got rather cross with Ron Pavey outside the club shop because he refused to refund him the price of a warped copy of The Goldstone Rap.

Do I win a prize ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Birmingham trying to get in the new stand enclosure (where the away fans sit now).Fighting had broken out in the seats behind the enclosure first and the brum had come off second best,a famous picture in the sun showed adolf hitler getting a right hander:laugh:,they came on to help their mates as far as I remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQTRCDZt-I
ignore the idiot american commentator
A better one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmkS5dyCpY&feature=related

I was at that game !! In the Brum end !! Got on the pitch when they did went up to some Palace mug and said 'come on were Brighyton' good few slaps dished out !! Mate got decked and as he got up he founf £35 in notes on the pitch !!

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
I was at that game !! In the Brum end !! Got on the pitch when they did went up to some Palace mug and said 'come on were Brighyton' good few slaps dished out !! Mate got decked and as he got up he founf £35 in notes on the pitch !!
To be honest birmingham were totally out of palace's league in hooligan terms:(
They had been advertising on small posters all around birmingham for weeks about a relegation party.Some of them were not even football fans and a train load got off at crystal palace when they saw the athletics ground thinking that was selhurst.A mad day topped off by ronald macdonald and a nun being carried past the old stand on advertising hoardings:clap2:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
They had been advertising on small posters all around birmingham for weeks about a relegation party.Some of them were not even football fans and a train load got off at crystal palace when they saw the athletics ground thinking that was selhurst.A mad day topped off by ronald macdonald and a nun being carried past the old stand on advertising hoardings:clap2:

A possible promotion day for Palarse and the crowd was only 17,500??!!

And that was topped up by a large contingent of Brummies!

f***ing shameful!!

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
A possible promotion day for Palarse and the crowd was only 17,500??!!

And that was topped up by a large contingent of Brummies!

f***ing shameful!!
Is that what it was?
It seemed pretty full to me.They had about 4000 so according to you we only had 13500.I agree pretty shit.

kevhome2

Jan 20, 2010
1980 Arsenal Div One

First game in div one in 1980, some Arsenal fans were in north west corner, Brighton fans burnt an arsenal scarf next to them the other side of the fence in north stand. Gooners made repeated charges into the west stand. I was eleven and right glad to be standing with my dad!

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
The bootboy thing, D.M's were rare. most of the boys wore their work boots, being apprentice bricklayers or metal workers they were usually steel toecapped heavy work boots often with the steel toecap on the outside.the plod wouldn't let you into the ground with these leathal weapons so the park side of Old Shoreham Road was the safety deposit box you used.
Rarely did you get back what you brought and if you got back to late you were lucky to find a pair that matched let alone were the right size.

Luton away in the 60's was a infamous occasion,at the home game a few Luton kicked in some old dears door in Old Shoreham road and broke into her (cash)pre-pay electricity meter(you put in money,your lights worked.some bloke came round and collected the cash).
This outraged the virile brighton youth and at the away game the indignation of the albion following led to virtually the whole of Luton town centre and loads of Luton's male citizens being indiscriminantly destroyed.

This game was my first ever away game. I remember fierce fighting in the Luton end with skinheads being stretchered out by the dozen; some people (both sides) took a real beating that day.

Still the worst violence I've seen at a game, but it might be that I was so young it left more of an impression on me. I think I even remember the score, 1-1.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Did they not park all their minibuses/coahes by the athletics ground and get the train down to Norwood Jct/Thornton Heath.

Dont think they made a mistake

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
First game in div one in 1980, some Arsenal fans were in north west corner, Brighton fans burnt an arsenal scarf next to them the other side of the fence in north stand. Gooners made repeated charges into the west stand. I was eleven and right glad to be standing with my dad!

your user name seems familiar ???? welcome to NSC anyway

Jan 18, 2010
you woz with LG too-(where did he go torquay) never got your conk broke

:laugh:
SS also got his picture along with a few of us on the front page of the Argus after the Sheffield Utd game which was the last of the season. Everyone as you do on the last game went on the pitch, it then turned nasty, but in the main only handbags and standoff's.
QUOTE]

Remember that one well - as everyone went on the pitch to celebrate we charged from the south stand over to the away enclosure, United got on the pitch but as you say largely handbags!

In town that night in Derek Carvers they turned up outside 20-handed or so, bouncers initially locked the door but as Blades smashed the window we persuaded them to open the door. Chased them down to the seafront and when we got to the bottom of the road they turned and charged back!
Everyone had stopped at the top of the road and there was me and BP ten yards behind, suffice to say I lost my front teeth and they literally ripped the shirt off my back and left me in just my shirt-sleeves! I was wandering around town for several hours concussed and saying 'i'm the incredible hulk' !!
I eventually came to in A&E at eight o'clock the next morning - bastards robbed me too!!!

Glory days!!

Jan 18, 2010
never mind shirt king had lots of the shirts you sported in that era very reasonably priced too - was your hitler tache bloodstained ?:yahoo::D:D:D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This game was my first ever away game. I remember fierce fighting in the Luton end with skinheads being stretchered out by the dozen; some people (both sides) took a real beating that day.

Still the worst violence I've seen at a game, but it might be that I was so young it left more of an impression on me. I think I even remember the score, 1-1.

Luton is the one place I vowed never to go to again. It wa sin teh early 80's I think and there was terrible trouble in an out side the ground, under our stand ( where the new stand behind the goal is). I remember shoving my Mrs into a loo as hoards of neanderthals ran through hitting everyone in sight....she used to go every game until that point and that was the final straw. My Mother also stopped going after we went to the Portsmouth game in the late 70's at Fratton park and we were stood on the open terrace behind the goal and it was kicking off all over the terrace.

I also rememebr we came out of the Luton game after most people had cleared off and we walked around the corner to be faced by a mob of around 300 Luton hoolies......there was about 20 of us and this stupid cow stood next to us started shouting "Brighton"...she was told to "shut the f*** up" and we thought that was it, as they started walking towards us....fortunately, some of them started running the other way and the rest of the group followed suit.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Did they not park all their minibuses/coahes by the athletics ground and get the train down to Norwood Jct/Thornton Heath.

Dont think they made a mistake
Possibly.Is it the same season that they smshed up your ground?
On that day I know how Michael Caine and Jack Hawkins felt at rorkes drift.Thousands of them coming from everywhere
In one of the youtube clips outside you can see fans running outside.About 20 of us had been chased into the betting shop near the club shop and they proceeded to lay siege.Luckily there was only one door and no windows:lolol:They were eventually chased off by horses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here