Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most violence seen at goldstone

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Lol the nellie peck,remember meeting some locals in thier on a Friday,as Leeds tend to come down on a friday,as i walked in some Leeds lad was getting a right slap, then then chasing began to and fro through out the night,late 80s maybe.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Erm....Portsmouth in the 80's when they invaded the pitch and rushed the North stand.....the North Stand scattered that day

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
And late 80s early 90s,Brighton came in from corner of south/west across pitch trying to have a go at Pomepy in the west,looked ok from North stand,until some pompey came over the fences,and Brighton soon went back as quick as they came,and OB giving chase also.

GuildGull

Jul 14, 2009
Cardiff (last season of the Goldstone), Birmingham (I think it was Chapman's debut), Southampton FA Cup 86, Leeds (when they ran at the north stand) & Oxford in '85 in Hove Park were the worst I've seen.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's been on here time & time again that millwall game was the first home league game in august 77, .

It was one, if not THE, first home game of the season in 1978. I'll get the program tomorrow at work and tell you the exact details. It was 100% 1978 though....just after BHA got promoted.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Only time I can remember being caught up in violence was when some West Ham fans "appeared" in the middle of the North Stand. Must have been mid-80's perhaps? I got a couple of kicks as I slipped in the crush but nothing else. Police piled in and quickly over as I recall.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Did it kick off in the North Stand with Man Utd in the Townsend Torenson Cup and on the bowling greens in Hove Park ? I was only 13 but seem to remember this

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
Cardiff (last season of the Goldstone), Birmingham (I think it was Chapman's debut), Southampton FA Cup 86, Leeds (when they ran at the north stand) & Oxford in '85 in Hove Park were the worst I've seen.

i remember few yrs back at goldstone, when this fat , overgrown lard arse cardiff supporter went on the pitch at half time and laid a welsh (boyo) flag in center circle, knelt down, and started to bow on it...:shrug:

and I am sure no one who was at The Den in 1991 for the play off first leg could ever forget the sight of Millwall fans setting fire to their own ground ...............................

which necessitated a two hour lock in for the BHA fans

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
and I am sure no one who was at The Den in 1991 for the play off first leg could ever forget the sight of Millwall fans setting fire to their own ground ...............................

That was bad along with a game there in 1976 ish

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can remember Sheffield utd fans, who were placed in the NE corner under the floodlight, getting very arsey when BHA beat them in 1978 (2-1)......

The nasty fuckers all jumped up at the fence and spat their chewing gum at us. Proper nawty. After the game, i remember the 200 odd sheff utd supporters down goldstone lane behind a police cordon shouting "sheffield, united, will never be defeated" ....after losing 2-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009

And 1 policemans helmet to the terracing to our left,glad to see that tube station thats for sure.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Mail-1.jpg

Mail0001.jpg

They're Cardiff outside the station pub, I just finished work in London and drank in there with them, They even knew I was Brighton but we got on. After the match drinking in a pub outside the station and the Cardiff lads cam in and got drinks, I said you should leave as it'll getting heated, they laughed and said do we looked bothered then realised the situation was getting out of hand so they left.

20 minutes later I heard that Cardiff were in Brighton station drinking in that little pub, We all left and when I approached the door I spotted the same lads getting a kicking, I just shock my head and left, Going to platform one I looked inside and the place was trashed.

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
bournmouth few yrs back, away on a sun and on tv, was a great crack, best away train i ever been on, drink flowing by bottle/can load.. swarming with btn.. singing non stop etc.. we over took the pub by born station... and the pitch invasion :facepalm:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Spurs 78 was by far the worst. It started on Friday night and went on well into Saturday evening. The ground was like a war scene with fights breaking out everywhere. It was the first and last time I have ever been scared at football. Chelsea in 83 were there in large numbers and were loud and destructive but there wasn't anything like as much violence as with Spurs.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It was one, if not THE, first home game of the season in 1978. I'll get the program tomorrow at work and tell you the exact details. It was 100% 1978 though....just after BHA got promoted.

We didn't get promoted in 78, but we did in 77 & our first home league game was Millwall on 27th august 1977 which we won 3 -2 . If you look at my profile you'll see it was the game that got me hooked. THe following season we played millwall midweek in the LC at the end of august but I'm pretty sure the scenario you describe was 77. we then played them away on the saturday.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The worst actual violence full on fighting at the goldstone i ever saw caught up in was a night game v huddersfield the game (a cup game from memory) had finished and huddersfield had brought down a fair few,did not see any trouble before the game and there was no hint of trouble before the game,a large group of brighton marched toward hove station a larger group of huddersfield lads came down the road that ran behind the east stand, they started to run at the group of brighton and many of the brighton bolted,the few that remained were starting to take a fair old pasting i had dived headfirst into a hedge and wasnt coming out for no amount of money, Until that was i saw 1 lad getting pummeled by a group of huddersfield , i thought to myself bolox to it thats not right,just as i was about to sacrifice my boyish good looks, a huge mob of brighton came steaming in from the south stand area of the road ,the huddersfield bolted back up the road and must have turned right into the next road,big mistake they were hemmed in from both ends and it became a bloodbath,by the time i got there the 2 seperate mobs of brighton fans had them penned in and by the time the police got there it was far to late,that street looked like a bomb had gone off afterward there were bodies strewn across the pavements and road many bleeding from being hit with bricks,seen lots of scuffles since home and away but nothing quite like that night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here