Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most popular manager since....?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Archie McAuley for me but I guess I would accept Chris Cattlin or (the first) Peter Taylor

Can see enough in Slade to take us up a league - he has never managed a club with our potential before and seems to have all the attributes to thrive with us

Hope he does get a contract but Sunday is soon enough I think

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Adams wasn't loved by everyone, in fact allot of people thought he was a dick! His recent stint (and ever since he left us first time) proved that he is actually a shit manager!

I would agree that McGhee was probably more popular than Adams in recent years but that may have been down to the fact he had a humorous song.
Completely agree with all of this.

My fave has always been Chris Cattlin, closely followed by the legendary Steve Coppell.
Slade: I think he'll get us to the play-offs with this squad. He's using the cunning ploy of playing players in their correct positions AND playing players who actually look interested. Two cunning tactics that seemed beyond Thicky.
Slade's contract: If we stay up, he should be offered a contract at 5pm Saturday evening, and give him a week to consider it. If he doesn't take it, move on quickly. No DICKING around please, because whoever is the manager will need the summer to prepare.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
No DICKING around please, because whoever is the manager will need the summer to prepare.

That is key - we can't find ourselves in August with no manager. If we get a manager sorted (which I think should be Russell Slade either way) early on, bring in some players etc., I think we have a good chance of play-offs next year.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That is key - we can't find ourselves in August with no manager. If we get a manager sorted (which I think should be Russell Slade either way) early on, bring in some players etc., I think we have a good chance of play-offs next year.

Agreed, sadly I think allot depends on what the Blooms think about the situation and if that means we have to wait until Tony is back in the UK there may be allot of DICKING around.

Plus there is one side of the coin that I don't think anyone has mentioned.....Slade might not want the job?

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Slade has done a good job in giving us a good chance of staying up - that is all! to go on about him being one of the best managers we have had is fuc*ing ridiculous!!!! talk about over the top!

Poppett

Apr 23, 2009
Popular is not necessarily best! Clough was without doubt the best manager, particularly with Taylor that Brighton have ever had but not necessarily with us. They created the foundations for the guy who was our most successful manager, Alan Mullery and no manager since has had the adoration of 35,000 fans at a home game, so he must have been most popular?

With a couple of exceptions, we have had some real class acts who have done well elsewhere as well but I can't see how you can compare with being popular in front of 5,000 fans with a regular 20,000+.

That said, if Russell Slade delivers on Saturday, he will be the most popular manager (For the moment). I wish him great luck and nothing would be more pleasurable than for him to still be here in five years time challenging for the Premiership.

Go get them!!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I agree that no one is suggesting that he is 'the best' manager we have ever had.....simply that he is very popular at the moment.
Interesting thoughts from Poppett.......is the 'best' manager we have ever de facto the manager who has got us to the highest ever position?.........and is the most popular manager the one who has managed to put a team together that brings in consistently large attendances?
:dance::mexican:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here