Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most people ever to support Albion?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
34700 for Brighton v Rochdale in 1972 and many thousands locked out (who might have actually entered later). Not many Rochdale around that day.

But on that day, and indeed on cup final day(s) in '83, everyone with have already been Albion supporters (well, maybe a handful go as neutrals because a friend has a ticket, etc).

For the big televised games though, we would acquire a number of temporary supporters, wishing us to win rather than the opposition (because of any number of near random factors but mostly because we are the perceived underdog).

So I'm asking is there a game where for those 90mins, we have had more people supporting us than at any other time. Obviously, if we were to win this, the final would be an out and out bigger audience, but can't think of another game where it would be the case.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Along with everything blue and white for Saturday - shirt, scarf, streamers, balloons - I will take a custard pie and throw it in the face of the first fan I see wearing a half and half scarf. :wrong:

I'm driving down tomorrow with my City colleague. I suggested to him that we get a half'n'half, and wear it together!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Along with everything blue and white for Saturday - shirt, scarf, streamers, balloons - I will take a custard pie and throw it in the face of the first fan I see wearing a half and half scarf. :wrong:

That would be assault.

Although if you throw a pack of Ever Ready that is assault and battery.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But on that day, and indeed on cup final day(s) in '83, everyone with have already been Albion supporters (well, maybe a handful go as neutrals because a friend has a ticket, etc).

For the big televised games though, we would acquire a number of temporary supporters, wishing us to win rather than the opposition (because of any number of near random factors but mostly because we are the perceived underdog).

So I'm asking is there a game where for those 90mins, we have had more people supporting us than at any other time. Obviously, if we were to win this, the final would be an out and out bigger audience, but can't think of another game where it would be the case.

It can only really be the 1983 FA Cup Final which is comparable. No idea what the world viewing audience figures were in those days, but the cup final was a much BIGGER thing then so quite likely it was shown in a lot of countries. Maybe more now, but with less interest because the FA Cup is not as big and it's the semi final not the final?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The global reach of football has increased so much since 1983 that the audience must have increased similarly. Saturday's game will be live on ESPN in the States, so will be shown in many sports bars and pubs across the USA. Viewers watching that game will include a large percentage of neutrals and punters just passing through, but it will still raise Albion's already significant profile in the States.

Will be the usual plastics supporting Man City, but the yanks do like a plucky underdog so some will be rooting for us

Same here for coverage. Every Prem game shown live, but not one broadcaster would pay whatever the FA were asking for exclusive rights to the FA Cup. But at the last minute ESPN are showing our game live. Not sure we will gain many new fans mind as it kicks off at 2.30/3.30 am due to clocks going back.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I don't think neutrals will be cheering us that hard. Many view us as entitled plastics and the team as one of the dullest the premier league has ever witnessed.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Entitled? Blimey. That's one I never thought would be thrown at us.

I remember this tweet from our first premier league game.
Screenshot_20190405-124700_Twitter.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It can only really be the 1983 FA Cup Final which is comparable. No idea what the world viewing audience figures were in those days, but the cup final was a much BIGGER thing then so quite likely it was shown in a lot of countries. Maybe more now, but with less interest because the FA Cup is not as big and it's the semi final not the final?

Not disagreeing, just not sure what has the bigger impact... the TV audience for English football increasing or differential between the Semi and Final interest.

The only other game I can think of as possibly challenging saturday is the season opener in 2017 against Citeh. That was televised to quite a wide worldwide audience as I recall.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

i was talking to some Chelsea fans before the game and they want city not to perform so they can focus on the PL & CL thus stuffing Tottenham and Liverpool.

I would think there area lot of spurs fans hoping we kick them off the park causing injuries and bookings...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here