Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable, BOURNEMOUTH (H)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There's always been rivalry between not just the clubs but the towns. As rival resorts and both chasing the conference trade (though hopefully not the Conference!) so planty of spice in these fixtures. My favourite, and one of my most memorable Albion games EVER, was on Boxing Day 1971.

A little background. Two seasons prev Bournemouth were relegated for the 1st time, having spent all their history in Div 3 (Sth) or Div 3. They appointed a young John Bond who completly changed the club. he changed the name from Bournemouth & Boscoombe Athletic to AFC Bournemouth, to make them top of the 'alphabet' league. he changed their red shirts, white shorts, to the AC Milan strip.

He built a team that stormed to promotion, along with a very good Notts County team which included Tony Hately. At the same time, Albion appointed a new young manager in Pat saward. he replaced Freddie Goodin who, along with his staff, had been poached by Birmingham. Goodwin had a good team but was based on some fairly old players.

Saward struggled, the team couldn't score, the football was dire. hre also changed the strip to all white and it just didn't look like watching the Albion. One of his few signings was peter O'Sullivan and he looked poor. As 70/71 wore on, Albion got better. The signings of experinced Bert Murrey & Willie Irvine helped greatly. Murrey was the 'People's player' and there were sponsored walks to raise the £10k to sign him. Saward was everywhere trying to raise funds.

71/72 Albion started the season with some optimism, and a new strip of blue & white stripes. The 'big' teams were Bourenmouth, Notts County & Aston Villa, who had gone from 1st to 3rd div in 2 years and failed to get promoted at the 1st attempt. This Div had, unlike today, much interest. Games would be on MoTD, the Villa v Bournemouth had a gate of over 40,000.

Albion's rise up the table was 'steady'. They worked their way through the chasing pack of teams like Rotherham, Chesterfield & Blackburn but didn't look likely to take one of the 2 promotion places.

The Bournemouth game was long awaited. Bournemouth had recently beaten margate 11-0 in the FA Cup with Ted MacDougal scoring 9 Mac D & Boyer where prolific and were just 2 of 4 or 5 of the team who would eventually play at the top level. Albion's previos home game had seen a gate of some 10,000 but Bournemouth was going to be big....

....Boxing Day, no public transport, yet 30,600 descended on the Goldstone. The Bournemouth fans, in their thousands, arrived early. When I arrived (and there was little segregation, Bournemouth had taken the (empty) north Stand. As the crowd built, by KO, they had the right hand half of the north and we had the left. It was packed solid, the atmosphere was electric and hostile with missiles flying and crowd surges. The police were in the middle and they brough dogs in, although they didn't stay long, driven mad by the noise.

The game was a cracker, end to end, tackles flying, non stop action and WE WON 2-0, Kit napier & John Templeman scoring. After the game I believe the Bournemouth fans found their coaches had all been bricked so a long cold ride home for them.

The return match had no less drama and a capacity crowd of 22,500 ast Dean Court. We drew 1-1 and eventually overtook both Bournemouth & Notts County to go up with Villa. It was my 1st promotion and one of my favourite seasons.

Albion won 12 away games, the only shame being that it was a very northern division with no london trips. We also had a knack of scoring late goals.

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
....Boxing Day, no public transport, yet 30,600 descended on the Goldstone. The Bournemouth fans, in their thousands, arrived early. When I arrived (and there was little segregation, Bournemouth had taken the (empty) north Stand. As the crowd built, by KO, they had the right hand half of the north and we had the left. It was packed solid, the atmosphere was electric and hostile with missiles flying and crowd surges. The police were in the middle and they brough dogs in, although they didn't stay long, driven mad by the noise.

I was at that game. Went down with my school mates from Haywards Heath. paid to get into the North Stand early and was shocked to find it full of Bournemouth Fans. Brighton fans congregated in the chicken run and paid the transfer (5p I think?)

It was the first time I had seen trouble at the Albion. Brighton and Bournemouth fans went on the pitch and starting kicking lumps out of each other.

Great atmosphere. Great game. "SuperMac, SuperQueer, how many bums have you had this year? ..................six"

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
my biggest memory of bournmouth is probably early 90s think it was. FA cup 3 or 4th round and albion won 2.0 or 2.1 not sure... my only other memory of them was my first ever proffesional game i visited early 80s doncaster v bournmouth and donny won to gain promotion to what is now league 1 2.0, with billy bremner in charge

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Spot on Blackadder, much the same for me as schoolboy and mates saying "don't go in the north stand"

Yep, the 3-3 game was a cracker, i think we came back from 3-1 down.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

The game was a cracker, end to end, tackles flying, non stop action and WE WON 2-0, Kit napier & John Templeman scoring. After the game I believe the Bournemouth fans found their coaches had all been bricked so a long cold ride home for them.

The return match had no less drama and a capacity crowd of 22,500 ast Dean Court. We drew 1-1 and eventually overtook both Bournemouth & Notts County to go up with Villa. It was my 1st promotion and one of my favourite seasons.

Albion won 12 away games, the only shame being that it was a very northern division with no london trips. We also had a knack of scoring late goals.

It was a great season and the Bournemouth game is one I went to but have little memory of apart from the score and having to go in the Chicken Run instead of the North Stand because of the agro.

Are you sure about no public transport though? I can't imagine how else I would have got to the game from Lewes!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember the St Johns patching up people at the top of the north stand / chicken run. I was only 10 or 11 but it was one of the first times I remember real trouble at a match.

great game as we beat the wankers 2-0

why did we get 30 k for fucks sake though. Is that tha same saeson we got 32 k on the easter monday for Reading ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was a great season and the Bournemouth game is one I went to but have little memory of apart from the score and having to go in the Chicken Run instead of the North Stand because of the agro.

Are you sure about no public transport though? I can't imagine how else I would have got to the game from Lewes!

We definitely got the train down from Haywards Heath. Could have been a football special?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I didn't make that game, I wasn't allowed to go alone as it was deemed to dangerous (I was 9 then). My Dad did the only ever good thing he managed before he f***ed off with a slapper down the road, & took me to the Villa game, which is of course, legendary.

As for Bournemouth, well I remember an away game around 87-88 I think. Ian Chapman hit a volley from the edge of the box which flew in. It was pissing down but you don't care when you see a goal like that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The 71/72 game is one of my earliest Albion memories, age 8. I recall clearly a crunching slide tackle by John Napier on McDougal and the Albion outplaying AFC. It was when the promotion dream started to be believed.
PG

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Frank Maclintock is a queer , and so is Alan Ball, ,
But as for Ted McDougall he's the queerest of them all,
Never seen anything like it,
In present or in past,
Nothing he likes better then a c..k stuck up his arse.

Great days

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm not 100% sure on the transport but it was very unusual to have buses on Boxing day way back then & I'd probably have walked from Coldean, although there may have been some trains. I think most of the B'muff came by on coaches and these were parked up at the dog track.

The 32,000 against Reading was the 69/70 season when we missed promotion. yes folks, we really did get crowds of over 30k playing in the same division we are now in. In those days you just turned up and squeezed in, none of this 'all ticket' nonsense!

I know we are all older & wiser after Hillsborough & you can't put lives at risk again like that but there was still something exciting about being packed in a surging crowd. As you got older you tended to know the 'moods' of the beast and how to cope with it.

BTW, is their any way of getting pictures from these old games?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not 100% sure on the transport but it was very unusual to have buses on Boxing day way back then & I'd probably have walked from Coldean, although there may have been some trains. I think most of the B'muff came by on coaches and these were parked up at the dog track.

The 32,000 against Reading was the 69/70 season when we missed promotion. yes folks, we really did get crowds of over 30k playing in the same division we are now in. In those days you just turned up and squeezed in, none of this 'all ticket' nonsense!

I know we are all older & wiser after Hillsborough & you can't put lives at risk again like that but there was still something exciting about being packed in a surging crowd. As you got older you tended to know the 'moods' of the beast and how to cope with it.

BTW, is their any way of getting pictures from these old games?

I got passed down overhead by the crowd so I could sit on the running track on the North West terrace for the Reading game.
I can still hear the insults for their keeper Steve Death. They seemed funnier than the taunts you get nowadays but thats nostalgia for you.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As for Bournemouth, well I remember an away game around 87-88 I think. Ian Chapman hit a volley from the edge of the box which flew in. It was pissing down but you don't care when you see a goal like that.

Yes I recall that one. Cracking strike again. Lets hope Bournemouth are his lucky team!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
There's always been rivalry between not just the clubs but the towns. As rival resorts and both chasing the conference trade (though hopefully not the Conference!) so planty of spice in these fixtures. My favourite, and one of my most memorable Albion games EVER, was on Boxing Day 1971.

A little background. Two seasons prev Bournemouth were relegated for the 1st time, having spent all their history in Div 3 (Sth) or Div 3. They appointed a young John Bond who completly changed the club. he changed the name from Bournemouth & Boscoombe Athletic to AFC Bournemouth, to make them top of the 'alphabet' league. he changed their red shirts, white shorts, to the AC Milan strip.

He built a team that stormed to promotion, along with a very good Notts County team which included Tony Hately. At the same time, Albion appointed a new young manager in Pat saward. he replaced Freddie Goodin who, along with his staff, had been poached by Birmingham. Goodwin had a good team but was based on some fairly old players.

Saward struggled, the team couldn't score, the football was dire. hre also changed the strip to all white and it just didn't look like watching the Albion. One of his few signings was peter O'Sullivan and he looked poor. As 70/71 wore on, Albion got better. The signings of experinced Bert Murrey & Willie Irvine helped greatly. Murrey was the 'People's player' and there were sponsored walks to raise the £10k to sign him. Saward was everywhere trying to raise funds.

71/72 Albion started the season with some optimism, and a new strip of blue & white stripes. The 'big' teams were Bourenmouth, Notts County & Aston Villa, who had gone from 1st to 3rd div in 2 years and failed to get promoted at the 1st attempt. This Div had, unlike today, much interest. Games would be on MoTD, the Villa v Bournemouth had a gate of over 40,000.

Albion's rise up the table was 'steady'. They worked their way through the chasing pack of teams like Rotherham, Chesterfield & Blackburn but didn't look likely to take one of the 2 promotion places.

The Bournemouth game was long awaited. Bournemouth had recently beaten margate 11-0 in the FA Cup with Ted MacDougal scoring 9 Mac D & Boyer where prolific and were just 2 of 4 or 5 of the team who would eventually play at the top level. Albion's previos home game had seen a gate of some 10,000 but Bournemouth was going to be big....

Great memories - I too remember the four teams battling for promotion. Some school friends and I went to the away game by train - was it Easter ish time?

That was the year we sang:

’To Hell with Aston Villa,
To Hell with Notts County.
We’re going to fight, fight, fight for the Albion
‘Til we win Division Three’

or

replace second line with ‘To Hell with Bournemouth too’

and the fourth with, ‘Til we’re in Division Two’

Happy days!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Does anyone have a link to the video for the 3-3 game. The North stand scenes when we equalised in the last minute were some of the best I can remember! It used to be available but was taken down when club got shirty with online historical videos...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here