Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most liked/disliked Managers

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Am really liking David Flitcroft at Barnsley at the moment though. Can't quite figure out why exactly, but he seems like a really sound guy, feet totally on the ground, speaks well to the media, and he's got his team playing for each other and winning games. Let's hope their good recent run continues at the weekend.

We're all right behind you, Dave :thumbsup:

I nearly put him down but thought it a bit early. Very humble and seems to really enjoy a good performance from his team as well as being complimentary about the opposition

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I nearly put him down but thought it a bit early. Very humble and seems to really enjoy a good performance from his team as well as being complimentary about the opposition

Absolutely. If he keeps them up, he'll have done a cracking job. If they go down, I'm sure he'll get a go at trying to get them promoted again. Hasn't been around for long, but has come across so well in the time that he's served so far (I include the victory over us in that).

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Depends how you decided how popular someone is. I suppose the clearest way is by the media so:

Laudrup: Comes across very well. Can't seem to do anything wrong at the moment and a fantastic first season at Swansea.
Moyes: 3rd longest serving manager in England. Famous for having no resources but still does well.
Martinez: Seems to be able to keep Wigan up every year which people seems to love. Also seems quite a likable guy
AVB: He is the 'fashionable' manager with all those key words. 'Young, bright, up and coming.' And one of a few managers that never actually played football.
Guardiola: Managed Barcelona to every trophy imaginable so is portrayed as a demi-god. But still think my nan could manage Barca and still win stuff.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Of the current managers in England, in no particular order...

Like: Wenger, Moyes, Mowbray, Powell, Pearson, Hughton, Laudrup, Villas-Boas, Zola, Howe, McCarthy, Benitez, O'Driscoll, Hill.

Dislike: Ferguson, Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Jones, Evans, Lambert, Freedman, Holloway, Adkins, Di Canio.

All the rest I'm indifferent to.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I know of a couple of players who have played under Pulis and they say he is a vile human.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not too many manager I dislike, but for me;
Colin Wanker, Dennis Wise, Nigel Adkins and Harry Redknapp.

I would be devastated if any on those were ever unveiled as our manager.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Using the Championship alone to answer the OP's Q, I find there are only two who I really really dislike and loads who I do:

Don'ts
Dave Jones - does he ever do or say anything nice? Sleaze personified :sick:
Billy McNeill - if you look up acerbic in the dictionary, you'll find his name

Do's

1\ Big Kenny Jacket. Always magnanimous and talks sense. Seems like a big cuddly teddy
2\ Sean O'Driscoll. Fair minded and complimentary
3\ Nigel Pearson. Straight talking and honest
4\ Chris Powell. Decent win or lose (hope it's the latter tonight!!!!)
5\ Dean Saunders. Simply my fave :bowdown: ever Albion player (hence my name)
6\ Olly. Ok an acquired taste, but oozes passion for the game
7\ Warnock. See 6\
8\ Freedman. Won me over with his comments about us after the 1-1 Bolton massacre. He'd taken abuse for 96 minutes and yet was full of platitudes for Albion (ok, I accept the last minute goal helped his mood).
9\ Dyche. Another straight talking honest pro. His voice scares me though.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I like Warnock too. He's honest, gobby but honest, which is more than can be said for most of the others. Davies really is a horrible little man.

The other guy I've found myself liking lately on the FL Show is Brian Flynn at Doncaster. Seems like a lovely guy. He's also only about 5'2" or something ridiculous like that. Would be quite funny watching him shouting up at some massive defender and giving him a rollicking.

Warnock honest?

Nothing was ever done about it, but there was a real stink about this at the time due to the Sheffield United bench *allegedly* sending out instructions to get the game abandoned. Biased opinions of course, but the WBA management (and board) were adamant that dodgy instructions were being given out (a mate of mine's dad worked for WBA, so I used to get all the gossip).

I'll grant you that he's more likely to criticise himself & his own team than most one-eyed managers, but to describe him as honest is taking it a bit far IMO.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The likes are pretty consistent, aren't they? Manager who just get on with it, don't berate officials all the time or think they run the game.

I like Martinez and Laudrup. Moyes, Chris Powell, Gianfranco Zola and Kenny Jackett too - all common with others. But lower down I'd say Paul Tisdale and Dean Smith do good jobs without shouting their mouths off, with very limited budgets. Eddie Howe's another one - no post-match hysteria, and clearly has an affinity for the club he's managing.

Edit: Missed one. Actually liked McDermott, despite the club he managed. Thought he spoke sensibly and particularly graciously after we played them last season, and another man who doesn't just come out and hysterically blame everybody but himself and his team when they lose a game.

Dislikes - Ferguson A, of course. Don't even get me started. Allardyce - always, always blaming the refs. Adkins, obviously - mouthy see-you-next-Tuesday. Still haven't forgiven Pardew for his comments about us in the League One title-winning campaign.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Of the current managers in England, in no particular order...

Like: Wenger, Moyes, Mowbray, Powell, Pearson, Hughton, Laudrup, Villas-Boas, Zola, Howe, McCarthy, Benitez, O'Driscoll, Hill.

Dislike: Ferguson, Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Jones, Evans, Lambert, Freedman, Holloway, Adkins, Di Canio.

All the rest I'm indifferent to.
Pretty much this...but Feruson gets a dopublr dislike for being 'It's everyones fault but mine'....and Redkapp who leaves every club he goes to in financial trouble through his wild overspending to get out of trouble.

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
Like; AVB,Wenger,Zola,Hughton,McDermott
Dislike; Fat Sam,Mancini,Ferguson,Di Canio and Pulis

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Pretty much this...but Feruson gets a dopublr dislike for being 'It's everyones fault but mine'....and Redkapp who leaves every club he goes to in financial trouble through his wild overspending to get out of trouble.

How on earth did I gloss over Redknapp? Add him to the dislike pile!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Like:
Mick McCarthy
Martinez
AVB
Laudrup
Moyes (that he does seem to have it a bit recently)

Dislike:
Alex Ferguson
Tony Pulis
Rafa Benitez
Lee Clark
Harry Rednapp

Oct 25, 2003
Like: Jose Mourinho, Martin Jol, Chris Hughton, AVB, Russell Slade

Dislike:
Harry Redknapp (overrated media whore)
Tony Pulis (awful football, wore a CAP at Wembley ffs)
Ian Holloway (apparently he's a real 'character'...i just think he's a dick)
Darren Ferguson (every time I see him I do a bit of sick in my mouth)
Mark Hughes (shit yet rates himself)

Edit...forgot Laudrup in my likes list...his hair is immense

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Like:
Chris Powell
Martinez
AVB
ANYONE who is or was the Brighton Manager

Dislike:
Alex Ferguson
Darren Ferguson
Tony Pullis
Mick McCarthy
Ian Holloway

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Like Di Matteo and all Albion managers of past and present.

Can't abide any Scots (except McGhee), plus Holloway and Warnock. Pulis does my head in as well.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011

Poyet
Moyes
AVB
Mourinho
Hughton
Martinez
Laudrup
McDermott
Zola

Dislike

Hughes
Pardew
Benitez
Daglish
Mancini
O'Neill

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove

Poyet
Moyes
AVB
Mourinho
Hughton
Martinez
Laudrup
McDermott
Zola

Dislike

Hughes
Pardew
Benitez
Daglish
Mancini
O'Neill

Kenny D, the Liverpool messiah! How did I forget him? He's utterly ignorant, rude and downright arrogant and aggressive - he tops my dislike list and it takes some doing with the names so far mentioned as most disliked!!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Martinez
Laudrup
Di Matteo
Moyes
O'Driscoll
Ronnie Moore
Wenger (for Falmer support)
Southgate