Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most improved player so far this season?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Lots of debate yesterday about this at the game. What do you think?

Criteria for this debate, most improved since the start of this season.

I went with Bonanotte. Tracks back, tackles harder, stronger on the ball, more impact on the game.
Nailed on and shows how good a motivator RDZ is. Told him he expected more and let's not forget he was on his way to Leeds. He knuckled down and now just needs to be wary of the theatrics when fouled.

Obviously Hinsh gets the best newcomer award. Sadly Ferguson gets worst drop off of form.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Buonanotte for me.

I thought Van Heck was heading that way but he seems to have plateaued - Igor has also greatly improved as has WBG..

Facu has bulked out, is challenging a lot more, defending his possession and finding space in important areas at crucial times. I would say that is largely due to him playing in his preferred CAM position this season rather than as a 7 - a winger he is not so it is ‘fortunate’ he stuck to his guns for that central role. He seems to have really bedded in now and I think he will fight to stay there. I noticed he got up very quickly after going down yesterday so that’s an improvement too. It will be interesting to see how Barco compares in terms of development stage.

Still not sure what’s happening with Fergie - he seems a bit lost out there now, struggling to assert his role in the set up that RDZ is using. Maybe with Pervis and Mitoma back on the left and Adingra back on the right, we might see some change.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Still not sure what’s happening with Fergie - he seems a bit lost out there now, struggling to assert his role in the set up that RDZ is using. Maybe with Pervis and Mitoma back on the left and Adingra back on the right, we might see some change.
Indeed the drop off in his form is alarming. Aside from obvious injury niggles there was a rumour that he'd had glandular fever but not sure that's proven. He just doesn't look as focused and fired up like the player Shearer was cooing over only a few months back. The amazing physicality for an 18 year old has gone as has the smile on his face. On this current trajectory he'll be staying put.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that’s harsh. He wasn’t terrible over the course of the whole games. The whole team was a shambles.
I saw a few of his Blackburn games. Lower level, but even so he was already a man mountain .
His weakness was the odd brainless moment. Still the case now.
Sorry stand by it, attended the games and he was dreadful, in the same way he was superb vs Haaland.

As for Blackburn as you say lower level.

For me the most improved 😃👍

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
Great thread, a reminder of how many young players have taken massive strides this season .. plus Welbz of course who just seems to get better and better

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I went with Bonanotte. Tracks back, tackles harder, stronger on the ball, more impact on the game.

It's this guy and he's improved by this much..............

jan-paul-van-hecke.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Van Hecke. I'm always patient with young players but there were times early on where I thought he was way out of his depth and wouldn't make the grade. He's arguably one of our most important players now and has a huge future.

The transformation of Hinslewood after Villa away can't be understated although everyone looked poor that day

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Irish Twitter are gunning for RDZ.

Would love to know how they've perceived that as 'slating' him. That's the kind of crap the Iranian Jahanbakhsh enthusiasts came out with.

He clearly is not that good of a player that a 'team should be built around him' yet, what an absurd statement. Not that we would 'build a team around' any player anyway, no matter how good they are. What does that even mean?! And what do you do when the player you've 'built a team around' is injured?

He has been underperforming for months for whatever reason, perhaps not fully recovered from the reported illness he had. That's not 'slating' him either, it's the truth.

el punal

It would probably be more pertinent as to who hasn't improved. Had we not had so many injuries I reckon we would be higher up the league. One thing is for sure, with the amazing talent coming through and the younger players gaining experience in the Premier League the future looks very bright indeed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yesterday aside Gilmour, most Chelsea fans you speak to are still spitting feathers at his sale in 2022, he will continue to develop into a top class player, arguably the best Scottish international midfielder of his generation.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Is the obvious and correct answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here