Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most hilarious Scotland result ever

Zed Seagull

1959 said:
Favourite Scotland results ever.....
1967 England 2, Scotland 3. Yes, Scotland embarrassed the World Champions at home. That one was hilarious, with Jim Baxter thoroughly taking the piss out of England's defenders, playing keepy-uppy along the touchline.
How about the last competitive game at Wembley in the much-missed Home Internationals? 0-1 to Scotland with a John Robertson penalty. The English FA had banned ALL Scottish fans from the match, but I was there and so were at least 70,000 Scots fans. And no, kids, I'm not kidding.

Last competitive game was the Euro Championship play off in 1999 which we also ran them ragged! Shame it was only 1-0.
the Sassenachs were well gubbed!

Zed Seagull

Uncle Buck said:
I rather enjoyed the Jocks defeat to Morroco last time they actually managed to qualify for a tournament in 1998.

It was not a real shock that the Sweaties lost, more amusing was that they really did believe that this would be the tournament they got to the knock out stages and all they had to do was win, but they royally screwed it up.

Got proof of that? I certainly cant remember thinking Morroco would be a push over.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
31st March, 1928

Home International Championship, Wembley Stadium

ENGLAND 1 SCOTLAND 5

Attendance: 80,868

Scotland's scorers: Alex Jackson (3, 65, 85), Alex James (44, 66)

Scottish team: Harkness (Queens Park), Nelson (Cardiff City), Law (Chelsea), Gibson (Aston Villa), Bradshaw (Bury), McMullan (Manchester City), Jackson (Huddersfield Town), Dunn (Hibernian), Gallacher (Newcastle United), James (Preson North End) and Morton (Glasgow Rangers).

And so the legend of the Wembley Wizards was born......

:thumbsup:

Zed Seagull

The Laughing Bluebird said:
31st March, 1928

Home International Championship, Wembley Stadium

ENGLAND 1 SCOTLAND 5

Attendance: 80,868

Scotland's scorers: Alex Jackson (3, 65, 85), Alex James (44, 66)

Scottish team: Harkness (Queens Park), Nelson (Cardiff City), Law (Chelsea), Gibson (Aston Villa), Bradshaw (Bury), McMullan (Manchester City), Jackson (Huddersfield Town), Dunn (Hibernian), Gallacher (Newcastle United), James (Preson North End) and Morton (Glasgow Rangers).

And so the legend of the Wembley Wizards was born......

:thumbsup:

well found my welsh supporting pal!!

How about Wales 4 England 1 1980?

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Scotland v Wales at Hampden, 1978. With about a minute to go Scotland lead 1-0. Wales have just missed a penalty and concluded it isn't to be their day - until Willie Donachie gets in on the act.

Scotland keeper Jim Blyth throws the ball out to Donachie, who's standing at the edge of the penalty area. Donachie knocks the ball back to Blyth without looking up, and as a result fails to see that the keeper has moved across to the far side of the area.

The ball goes straight into the empty goal to level the match.

I remember watching it live on TV and rolling around on the floor laughing hysterically for about 10 minutes. Absolute magic!

Zed Seagull

Sully's Moustache said:
Scotland v Wales at Hampden, 1978. With about a minute to go Scotland lead 1-0. Wales have just missed a penalty and concluded it isn't to be their day - until Willie Donachie gets in on the act.

Scotland keeper Jim Blyth throws the ball out to Donachie, who's standing at the edge of the penalty area. Donachie knocks the ball back to Blyth without looking up, and as a result fails to see that the keeper has moved across to the far side of the area.

The ball goes straight into the empty goal to level the match.

I remember watching it live on TV and rolling around on the floor laughing hysterically for about 10 minutes. Absolute magic!

Not quite as funny as Dalglish putting it through Clemence's legs at Hampden in 76!! Gaffaw gaffaw!! THAT wis a howler !!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Zed Seagull said:
Last competitive game was the Euro Championship play off in 1999 which we also ran them ragged! Shame it was only 1-0.
the Sassenachs were well gubbed!

Mind you, you were dicked the week before in Hampden by a very mediocre England side.:)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Zed Seagull said:
Maybe so but you lot gave us not a cat in hells chance of beating you at Wembley. Hated Seaman when he flapped his arms at Dailly's header in last few mins! :lolol:

That's not true! We had KEEGAN as manager...how much more of a chance do you want!:jester:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Zed Seagull said:
f*** me! We had Craig Broon for fucksake!!:lolol:

I forgot about Craig Brown. Seems that both countries were falling over themselves to give the game to the other side!

Wasn't even worth all the fuss anyway. The only 'highlight' of Euro 2000 was scraping past an absolute pile of poo Germany team.

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
edna krabappel said:
As it's nearly World Cup season, vote for your favourite ever Scotland international result here, to help them get into the World Cup spirit.

It was meant to be a poll, naturally, but I seem to have cocked that up. The options were going to be:

1. Iran 1978

2. Peru 1978

3. Costa Rica 1990

4. Faroe Islands 2003(?)

5. Other:

How about the 2-2 with Faroes, made me larf !!!

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Leekbrookgull said:
Zed,in 75.Was that day you took the goalposts home??:albion:

No, '77. As someone had already pointed out you can hardly laugh at our results in Argentina given that you lot didn't even qualify. We also absolutely stuffed a Holland team who only lost to Argentina in the final apart from us. The real tragedy is that we had a great side that year. We missed our big chance to progress in the World Cup thanks to Alistair McLeod's hubris.

We were also the first team to go out of the World Cuo without losing a game in 1974.

I was at the Wembley game in '75 when we lost 5-1 in front of 90,000 Scotsmen and 10,000 English men. Not surprisingly the biggest cheer of the day was for Bruce Rioch's penalty.

Unfortunately the only fun we get these days is laughing at the Clive Tyldesleys and Kevin Keegans of this world banging on about how England can't lose this game or that just before they do actually lose! Romania '98 and France '04 spring to mind. Comedy gold.

Zed Seagull

Leekbrookgull said:
Zed,in 75.Was that day you took the goalposts home??:albion:

Nah! 1977

Hope this works!

clip_display.shtml

Last edited:

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Zed Seagull said:
31/3/4 Friendly(Sweden) Sweden 1 England 0 (0-0 HT)
02/6/2 World Cup(Japan) England 1 Sweden 1 (1-0 HT)
10/11/1 Friendly(England) England 1 Sweden 1 (1-1 HT)
05/6/99 Euro Qual(England)England 0 Sweden 0 (0-0 HT)
05/9/98 Euro Qual(Sweden) Sweden 2 England 1 (2-1 HT)
08/6/95 Umbro Cup(England)England 3 Sweden 3 (1-2 HT)
17/6/92 Euro (Sweden) Sweden 2 England 1 (0-1 HT)
06/9/89 WC Qual(Sweden) Sweden 0 England 0 (0-0 HT)
19/10/88 WC Qual(England) England 0 Sweden 0 (0-0 HT)
10/9/86 Friendly (Sweden) Sweden 1 England 0 (0-0 HT)

Just found this! Not pleasant reading!

Due a win then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here