Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive street by region

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Different areas have different costs. My inlaw's house has risen about £20K in value in 12 years, whereas our house in Newhaven has risen £100K in that time.
There are more immigrants in the north of England than in the SE, so your theory doesn't hold much water.

Shortage of housing can depend on many factors. Family breakups, for example. After the war, there was a massive housing shortage due to bombing, but families stayed together. Youngsters didn't leave home until they met someone ready to get married, so were able to save up for a deposit, and bought a home together. There's no way in the 60s, single people could afford to buy a house on their own.

Prices in the SE are being forced up by people investing in property as it gives better returns than pensions.[/QUOTE]

This is certainly helping to push up prices. Not enough homes and a growing population is much more of the reason IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Different areas have different costs. My inlaw's house has risen about £20K in value in 12 years, whereas our house in Newhaven has risen £100K in that time.
There are more immigrants in the north of England than in the SE, so your theory doesn't hold much water.

Shortage of housing can depend on many factors. Family breakups, for example. After the war, there was a massive housing shortage due to bombing, but families stayed together. Youngsters didn't leave home until they met someone ready to get married, so were able to save up for a deposit, and bought a home together. There's no way in the 60s, single people could afford to buy a house on their own.

Prices in the SE are being forced up by people investing in property as it gives better returns than pensions.[

This is certainly helping to push up prices. Not enough homes and a growing population is much more of the reason IMHO.

That is because you want to believe that. The actual reasons are far more complex.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Recent legislation surrounding the tax laws on investment property is not before time but in reality, the issue is that demand for housing in the SE either needs to be met or reduced.

We either meet it by building more housing, or reduce demand by encouraging people to stay in/move to other areas of the country with policies that encourage business elsewhere.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Recent legislation surrounding the tax laws on investment property is not before time but in reality, the issue is that demand for housing in the SE either needs to be met or reduced.

We either meet it by building more housing, or reduce demand by encouraging people to stay in/move to other areas of the country with policies that encourage business elsewhere.

Not sure what it's like in Surrey and Sussex, but round here property merchants offer up stupid money for the old style houses, raze to the ground, only then for 'luxury' apartments to be built on the vacant land, resulting in over priced dwellings to be sold at a vast profit!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cost of agricultural land is 5-8k an acre. cost of land with planning is 600k-1m. thats a multiple of 120, and tells all you need to know about why the housing market is so inflated. we wont let anyone build anything.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Prices in the SE are being forced up by people investing in property as it gives better returns than pensions.[/QUOTE]

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/cheapest-place-live-shorten-your-12357834

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I used to work for Rentokil Tropical Plants about 20 years ago and Sir Andrew Lloyd-Webber had a house on Eaton Square and i used to look after the plants in it. Used to have to walk through his composing room as well as his bedroom.....pretty impressive gaff to be honest and the £50m of art on his walls were quite nice too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
art on his walls were quite nice too.

Could you tell the difference? :)

The_Scream.jpg
tumblr_kvy4xf979D1qafyzuo1_500.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Having been born and brought up in Poole, I can tell you that it's residents definitely perceive it to be part of the South West!

It was so much easier when I lived in Leicester - the South West began at the top of the M69.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes, but ... how many of these properties are actually lived in? The fashion is for Russian oligarchs, Chinese politicians and South East Asian gamblers to buy up expensive properties in London solely as real estate investments that will rise in value for ever. The occupants move out, of course, and these expensive areas become deserted wastelands. Further down the chain ... property prices in Brighton start spiralling out of control and folk find that they have to move out of town if they are ever going to be able to afford somewhere to live.

Ain't this the truth just before I moved down here, we did the flooring in two houses next door to each other for a Russian in Bishops Avenue, Hampstead Garden Suburbs. He sent an interior designer into see us and was not to bothered what she picked as he probably would only visit once or twice a year. Completely different level of wealth that is so wrong in my eyes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I used to work for Rentokil Tropical Plants about 20 years ago

I worked in Rentokil's M&A department for a few years in the mid-late 80s and made the first tropical plant rental business purchase for them. Small world. Despite the (very real :nono:) problems associated with Clive Thompson more recently, he remains the brightest and most driven chief exec I ever worked for. Mr 20% indeed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I lived on Chaucer Road for two years in my teens, and prior to that I lived on Bentley Road.

I wish that I had the money to live in places like that now (not that I want to live in Cambridge again...)

Bentley Road is very nice too. Cambridge has changed a lot in the last 20 years, but I do still like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here