Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most Clean Sheets in a PL Season

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He's made some decent saves, but for me the biggest credit goes to a solid defence. Apart from Veltnam, an English one too.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
He's my joint favourite player with Dunky (sad as it is being a grown man and all).

I just love his presence. Big, calm, vocal, confident, brave... and only 23.

His shot stopping will be tested more in the coming seasons no doubt. If he is capable of consistantly pulling off world class saves, then he will go to the very, very top.

Too right. I heard him call for a couple of crosses yesterday afternoon. Not on the tellybox. In my living room. In Surrey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why are you deliberately misquoting/misrepresenting my point?

We do not see the players in training. Are you with me so far? The coaches and management do. Still following? How could they watch Ryan training, and watch Sanchez training, and think that Ryan was better?

That is, quite literally, it. I'm not saying the fans knew, we didn't. We don't watch the training sessions. We hadn't seen his development. The coaches had and they must have been able to see how good he was and that he was, quite literally, head and shoulders above Maty Ryan a lot sooner than the rest of us did. Frankly, it was obvious to the masses during the Tottenham game. Would you disagree with that assessment?

You said 'a blind man could have seen' Sanchez is better than Ryan. You can't now say that you would have had to be there and see them in training to know! How could we if we are blind?

You implied there was nothing clever or brave when Potter swapped Sanchez for Ryan.

Both comments are absurd. The first because you assume that it would have been obvious in training that Sanchez is better han Ryan. That is absurd. Training and playing in the premier league are not the same thing. Lots of duff players look great in training. And likewise some great players look crap in training (vide Dunk with England).

To bin Ryan for Dunk was clever and brave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are so many oddities around Ryan/Sanchez, many already pointed out, shots faced etc.

The Leeds player with his sweetly struck shot from about 12 yards out, we all know where that would have gone had Ryan been in goal.

That has to be down to Sanchez' imposing presence, something I've previously said isn't the issue that we were making it out to be with Ryan.

I watched a little of Arsenal's game v Sevilla it was so easy to transfer Ryan into Leno, for their goals.

1 - Ball not dealt with across the box, bit of a Rick o Shea, falls at the feet of a fella who howitzers it in.
But does go tantalisingly close to Leno, despite it being impossible to save.

2 - Corner packed 6 yard box, Leno stays back, Holding misses header, nobody marking back post 2-0.

Both textbook Leno goals.
Both textbook Ryan goals.
Both goals I'd have defending Ryan due to the shocking defense in front of him....

...Both goals (deffo the second one) Sanchez would have saved.

T'is a funny old world.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The clean sheets for 2021 is incredible. Sanchez and the defence are superb together which is amazing considering that during that run we have not had Lamptey and missed both March and Webster for large amounts of time.

Some of us have long been admirers of Sanchez and I remember floating his name around last summer as a reason why we didn't need to be signing a replacement for Ryan but he has been a complete success this campaign. Signing a goalkeeper with that record would've cost us more than we are willing to spend on a striker

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
When you look at the League table we are on -4 which when you look at the teams around us ,Leeds are the first team better GD at -2 and they are 11th .Even compact defence Palace are on -22. When you consider that we miss loads of chances it really stands out .I think also if you go out and play football the other teams see less of the ball so less chance of conceding. I am a believer in the way GP wants to play football apart from some strange substitutions. It`s the shooting that`s been the problem but we don`t seem to be letting many goals in from set pieces now. GP seems to know his first 11 now which has helped i think he his learning as the season goes on but there is no easy games in the Premier League .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You said 'a blind man could have seen' Sanchez is better than Ryan. You can't now say that you would have had to be there and see them in training to know! How could we if we are blind?

You implied there was nothing clever or brave when Potter swapped Sanchez for Ryan.

Both comments are absurd. The first because you assume that it would have been obvious in training that Sanchez is better han Ryan. That is absurd. Training and playing in the premier league are not the same thing. Lots of duff players look great in training. And likewise some great players look crap in training (vide Dunk with England).

To bin Ryan for Sanchez was clever and brave.

It’s so easy to be clever in hindsight isn’t. I’ve always agreed with Badge on his assessment of Ryan but don’t see eye to eye with him on this.

The season was in the balance. GPs job was in the balance, relegation was in the balance. To completely drop the clubs number one keeper and just chuck in a young, completely untested u23 keeper in that situation takes unbelievable cajones.

Because we KNOW if that decision went wrong there’d be unreal blame and criticism thrown at GP (certainly from some here).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The clean sheets for 2021 is incredible. Sanchez and the defence are superb together which is amazing considering that during that run we have not had Lamptey and missed both March and Webster for large amounts of time.

Some of us have long been admirers of Sanchez and I remember floating his name around last summer as a reason why we didn't need to be signing a replacement for Ryan but he has been a complete success this campaign. Signing a goalkeeper with that record would've cost us more than we are willing to spend on a striker
I sometimes wonder if we - or rather GP and the Albion - had a lucky break somewhere along the line? Like you, I'd been keeping an eye on our loanees progress, and I felt that Sanchez had nudged himself ahead of Walton in the 'GK most likely to succeed' stakes.
Come the friendly against Chelsea, both the young guns were on the bench. Walton came on at half time in preference to Sanchez, lookked nervous, flapped a bit, then came out for a cross, took it well - and injured himself on landing. Sanchez comes on - and looks the business. Later, when GP decided Ryan needed to be replaced, on came Sanchez and a legend is i the making. I don't know if Walton was still injured, but obviously the injury had set him back - he was out fir a while so Sanchez gt the nod.
So ....... I wonder ........ but for the injury, would Walton have got the gig half way through the season instead of Big Bob?

N.B. Not that I'm complaining! Big Bob rules! Hope Christian gets a good permanent move in the summer too.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
How’s it going Maty? :wave:

Go on, I'll bite. Are you suggesting that we should have replaced Ryan in goal with Dunk? Dunk. Dunk, possibly the best English center back currently playing the game, should have been played out of position in goal? I know Ryan was not doing too well and Mr Potter has form for unexpected formations but that would surely have been taking the "lets see how many center backs we can have on the pitch at once" strategy too far. Or have I been whooshed?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tall v small. It was a no brainer for me. Was clear for 2-3 seasons that Ryan was not premier league quality.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Anyone else been noticing more of the mad ball-catching abilities of late that Glenn Murray alluded to in that 5live interview? Shots that would force most keepers into at least a 'parry then smother' he seems to pluck out the air and retain in his magnet-like gloves as if they were absolutely nothing.

I bet in another life he'd make a pretty handy basketball player.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I sometimes wonder if we - or rather GP and the Albion - had a lucky break somewhere along the line? Like you, I'd been keeping an eye on our loanees progress, and I felt that Sanchez had nudged himself ahead of Walton in the 'GK most likely to succeed' stakes.
Come the friendly against Chelsea, both the young guns were on the bench. Walton came on at half time in preference to Sanchez, lookked nervous, flapped a bit, then came out for a cross, took it well - and injured himself on landing. Sanchez comes on - and looks the business. Later, when GP decided Ryan needed to be replaced, on came Sanchez and a legend is i the making. I don't know if Walton was still injured, but obviously the injury had set him back - he was out fir a while so Sanchez gt the nod.
So ....... I wonder ........ but for the injury, would Walton have got the gig half way through the season instead of Big Bob?

N.B. Not that I'm complaining! Big Bob rules! Hope Christian gets a good permanent move in the summer too.

No, I dont think so. When the Chelsea game was played they had been back in training (with Sanchez returning) for what, one or two weeks? And while they could have looked evenly matched for one or two weeks, I think it was quickly discovered that Sanchez had turned into something extra. The call on who should replace Ryan was by the way probably Ben Roberts decision as much as it was GPs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here