Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most boring (and unpleasant to drive) stretch of country road in Sussex

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A26 Lewes to Newhaven always strikes me as dismal, especially as the old route via Rodmell, has pleasant scenery.

It's not advisable to look at the scenery when driving, but the countryside beside that road is stunning, you notice it more when on the train or as a car passenger.
Pretty dismal when you get close to a Newhaven though, but nice near Southese station.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The A281 between the A24 and Guildford is a pain to drive anytime although, and in a perverse way, I sometimes hope that the residential re-development of Dunsfold aerodrome gets approved.

If they ever get around to sorting out the A281 surface-wise it will be a lovely motorcycle riding road although, as you say, not a driving road due to the lack of overtaking places. In the meantime, due to the truly dreadful potholes it is neither. :annoyed:

Oh and as an aside, being a Northern Monkey I used to regularly ride one of the finest bits of road in the UK for pleasure - the Cat and Fiddle Pass between Macclesfield and Buxton - if you have never been there then there is loads of stuff on You Tube to give you an idea - sadly due to the amount of bikers taking themselves out on the dry stone walls which line the road there are speed cameras everywhere these days...... :nono:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The A281 between the A24 and Guildford is a pain to drive anytime although, and in a perverse way, I sometimes hope that the residential re-development of Dunsfold aerodrome gets approved.

Yep I'll go with that and add the A24 from Horsham to Dorking

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
after being away for nearly 9 years the drive along the road from Polgate to Falmer (worst bit coming up) fall asleep for a few miutes then going over the brow of Snakey Lane and seeing the glittering sea in the distance.
first view of the Amex as an added bonus
beautiful something I dreamed of for ages and it did'nt disappoint

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Although it is not all in Sussex, the A281 is a painful road to drive at times. The same idiots that insist on doing 50 in a 60 limit, then do 40 in a 30! God forbid you get stuck behind a horse box too. Very few places to overtake and a nasty habit of feeling like you're further ahead on the road than you are.

Worse than a horse box was the old cyclist that attached the metre long stick to his bicycle so cars couldn't overtake him on his 12 mile trip home in rush hour!

If they ever get around to sorting out the A281 surface-wise it will be a lovely motorcycle riding road although, as you say, not a driving road due to the lack of overtaking places. In the meantime, due to the truly dreadful potholes it is neither. :annoyed:

Oh and as an aside, being a Northern Monkey I used to regularly ride one of the finest bits of road in the UK for pleasure - the Cat and Fiddle Pass between Macclesfield and Buxton - if you have never been there then there is loads of stuff on You Tube to give you an idea - sadly due to the amount of bikers taking themselves out on the dry stone walls which line the road there are speed cameras everywhere these days...... :nono:

I'd have thought that the B2133 between the A281 at Alfold Crossways and the A272 at Newpound would also be a decent ride on two wheels. However the surface south of Loxwood near Drungewick is now hazardous, even with four wheels. The surface lifted in 2012/13, was repaired (and bodged) by WSxCC last spring/summer and has now come off again, but worse. Resembles Ypres after a couple of months shelling.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
This. I love this drive (which I do throughout the summer, as I live in Hampshire, but play cricket at Parham). Over Houghton Hill and the viewpoint, down though Houghton and Amberley, then left on Rackham Road, through the woods to the back gate of the Parham Estate.

That to me IS Sussex.

Home.

#sigh

When over in the UK , we always visit an aunt & uncle in Coldwartham for a few days .
From West Hove , once you've come off the Shoreham by-pass , the rest of the 35 min journey is quite wonderful .
Rackham Road is just an absolutely perfect finale to a glorious country drive .

Beautiful walks & great pubs abound - love it !!

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Worst? The A272 between Buck Barn and Billingshurst. Scenic, but the traffic consists entirely of old Fiats doing 25mph and fleet cars who want to do 75mph. Or maybe the A259 between.. well.. anywhere east of Shoreham... for much the same reason. Or the A27 between Beddingham and Polegate for sheer terror alone... I've had four near misses in my driving career, every single one on that piece of road.

Best? B2116 between Keymer and Lewes, very early on a summer Sunday morning. Or the A281 between Henfield and Partridge Green. Or the Tye road between Telscombe and Telscombe Cliffs.. which I suppose isn't technically a road - but you could certainly drive it last time I tried. :)

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I am puzzled if you driving at night the views would be well, shit. And if as you say avoiding pot holes during the day surely you have no time unless you fancy going off road to enjoy the view. So just which is it ?

I drive this stretch of road when visiting and returning from Brighton. Travelling south there are no issues with potholes, so am able to take in and appreciate the views. It's just when driving on the left lane going north that ones eyes are riveted to the road.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:

That is a great road. I sometimes went that way when I lived up north.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Amazing isn't it, and the opportunity to stop for a pint and see the slightly surreal sight of Jodrell bank in the distance.... JodrellBank100208Newsome.jpg

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I'd have thought that the B2133 between the A281 at Alfold Crossways and the A272 at Newpound would also be a decent ride on two wheels. However the surface south of Loxwood near Drungewick is now hazardous, even with four wheels. The surface lifted in 2012/13, was repaired (and bodged) by WSxCC last spring/summer and has now come off again, but worse. Resembles Ypres after a couple of months shelling.

See post #30 :smile:

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
The best bit is about a mile to the west from the Fontwell Roundabout on the A27. It's a right hand curve, which now is the western half of the dual carriage way, it was part of the road when it was only two lanes. It was left exactly as it was originally laid, lovely gentle curve , slight camber...... Start in the left hand lane and put your foot through the floor, then aim for the apex of the curve ( you can't see the exit) keep your foot down and let the car run back to the left hand lane, then, the straight down to Tangmere opens up in front of you.

Yes, yes, yes.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I hate the A26 between Uckfield and Tunbridge Wells. You're guaranteed to get stuck behind a lorry and it always takes hours!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's not advisable to look at the scenery when driving, but the countryside beside that road is stunning, you notice it more when on the train or as a car passenger.
Pretty dismal when you get close to a Newhaven though, but nice near Southese station.

I have walked and cycled around there and yes it is a beautiful area. The road though does have some right shite along the eastern side and I guess my problem is I enjoyed the old road through Rodmell a lot more.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Worst? The A272 between Buck Barn and Billingshurst. Scenic, but the traffic consists entirely of old Fiats doing 25mph and fleet cars who want to do 75mph. Or maybe the A259 between.. well.. anywhere east of Shoreham... for much the same reason. Or the A27 between Beddingham and Polegate for sheer terror alone... I've had four near misses in my driving career, every single one on that piece of road.

Best? B2116 between Keymer and Lewes, very early on a summer Sunday morning. Or the A281 between Henfield and Partridge Green. Or the Tye road between Telscombe and Telscombe Cliffs.. which I suppose isn't technically a road - but you could certainly drive it last time I tried. :)

There are gates at the top of Telscombe Tye so you are correct you can't drive through, but the Telscombe village road is worth the drive from the C7 Newhaven to Lewes road, it's worth driving up there for the views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here