Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mortgages - why the difference?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
they do? the ECB has set their interest rate to 0% and money markets follow the central bank rate. im sure there's a number of other factors meaning German mortgage rates are traditionally below that of UK rates, currently the number one reason is the very low interest rate due to the state of the Euro.

Currently and yet they're still fixing it for 15 years! Your suggestion might make more sense if the rate was for 2 or 3 years.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The last time the BoE cut the base rate, my mortgage lender increased theirs to mop up the difference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Currently and yet they're still fixing it for 15 years! Your suggestion might make more sense if the rate was for 2 or 3 years.

you can get ~3% fixed 10yr here, because the pricing is based largely on the current base rate, the current cost of financing the money, not the future cost. i couldn't tell the deep technical reasons for this, just saying that's the way it is.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm looking to remortgage at the moment and have been offered a 10 year fixed rate at 2.9%. I think that's a great rate to be on for such a period of time and gives us the security of knowing exactly what our mortgage payments will he every month for the next ten years.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm looking to remortgage at the moment and have been offered a 10 year fixed rate at 2.9%. I think that's a great rate to be on for such a period of time and gives us the security of knowing exactly what our mortgage payments will he every month for the next ten years.

Sounds interesting... who is that with?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Yield curve for € and £ are different, and banks have to broadly match funding and loan balance maturities to manage their overall structural balance sheet and liquidity risks (either in reality by borrowing long term or by hedging / taking swap positions). So the rates primarily will represent a higher long term cost of borrowing £'s vs €'s.
There's probably some structural difference in market pricing as well - e.g. Driven by regulatory costs, banks' ability to make profits in other product markets, differences in capital requirements, cost of capital and tax rates, bad debt expectations, servicing expectations of different consumer populations and level of competition etc etc. Very long-term fixes are still rate in uk, and lack of experience here may also lead uk banks to add a small additional risk premium in their pricing.
The long-term cost of funds will be the main element of the retail mortgage rate difference, though - if I'm reading the ECB yield curve correctly, 15 year rates for € are c 0.6% but £'s are around 2%....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yield curve for € and £ are different, and banks have to broadly match funding and loan balance maturities to manage their overall structural balance sheet and liquidity risks (either in reality by borrowing long term or by hedging / taking swap positions). So the rates primarily will represent a higher long term cost of borrowing £'s vs €'s.
There's probably some structural difference in market pricing as well - e.g. Driven by regulatory costs, banks' ability to make profits in other product markets, differences in capital requirements, cost of capital and tax rates, bad debt expectations, servicing expectations of different consumer populations and level of competition etc etc. Very long-term fixes are still rate in uk, and lack of experience here may also lead uk banks to add a small additional risk premium in their pricing.
The long-term cost of funds will be the main element of the retail mortgage rate difference, though - if I'm reading the ECB yield curve correctly, 15 year rates for € are c 0.6% but £'s are around 2%....

A well-thought-out, comprehensive, informed and useful post.

What the **** is happening to NSC?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Thats excellent. Yes as per Titanic who with?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You can get a 5 year fix rate (till end July 2021) with HSBC at 1.99% (plus £1, 499 arrangement fee), but max 65% LTV and max £500k borrowing.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Leeds BS 10 year fix rate 2.75% plus £1, 499 fee, max 65% LTV/£500k.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I agree. You can get a 15 year fix for about 1.5% which easily trumps any UK mortgage. As I say, international banks must have access to the same money.

1.99% for 2 years is approx the lowest you'll get currently over here I believe (may be wrong). Again, amazing 1.5% for 15 years!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
- should add the 1.99% rate is a no upfront fee whatsover rate so not as cheap a domestic rate as is probably out there.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
A well-thought-out, comprehensive, informed and useful post.

What the **** is happening to NSC?
Apologies, obviously I meant to have a dig at rip-off Beitain and bankers' bonuses. I blame auto-correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here