Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mortgage question

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My wife and I used to own a house. Then we sold it and moved abroad (where we rent) for several years.

When we go back to the UK, will we be classed as 'first time buyers', because we don't have a property to sell, existing mortgage etc.

Or not?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The government use examples like you to boost the 'first time buyer' figures. So Yes.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No. It is not the government lending the money, it is the lender.

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
When I was an agent, I never really used the term 'first time buyer' - just 'in rented' or 'no property to sell'. Makes you more of an attractive proposition to vendors because there is no downward chain to go wonky and they don't see you as a novice. I think some of my more cynical colleagues liked Hoovering up FTBs because they were more gullible - easier to get mortgage / conveyancing / insurance / U-Switch leads etc.

My wife and I used to own a house. Then we sold it and moved abroad (where we rent) for several years.

When we go back to the UK, will we be classed as 'first time buyers', because we don't have a property to sell, existing mortgage etc.

Or not?

If you are talking about being able to apply for a particular bank's first-time buyer rates, the precise definition will vary from institution to institution, so I can only suggest that you contact them individually to ask. I vaguely remember seeing 'not holding a mortgage for 2 years' being mentioned from when we applied for our own FTB mortgage 6 months ago, but I can't remember which bank that was.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why would you want to be classified as a ftb anyway ?, it is not an advantage and quite often a disadvantage. The rates are not better for ftb's.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
At low deposit values FTB rates can be better than standard rates, in my (admittedly limited) experience. Or indeed some deposit values are only available to 'FTBs'.

No, also they would not be any different than second time buyers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why would you want to be classified as a ftb anyway ?, it is not an advantage and quite often a disadvantage. The rates are not better for ftb's.

Don't FTB get a higher stamp duty starting point ? I'm sure this used to be the case but not having been a FTB for a long time my memory may have failed me !

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
99.99% certain that Stamp duty benefit for first time buyers now gone - but from what I remember of the rules if applicant had ever owned a property before that automatically meant not a FTB for purpose of getting the discount!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
99.99% certain that Stamp duty benefit for first time buyers now gone - but from what I remember of the rules if applicant had ever owned a property before that automatically meant not a FTB for purpose of getting the discount!

Stamp Duty exemption for FTB up to £250k ended last March

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks for the help everyone.

My impression is that FTB rates can sometimes be better, especially if our deposit is likely to be around 15–20% LTV, rather than the 25%+ most lenders are pitching their best rates at.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only so far. When inflation rises and rises, the interest rates will have to rise and then watch the repos' go up.
But Uncle C is adamant that house prices are not determined by interest rates.

My impression is that FTB rates can sometimes be better, especially if our deposit is likely to be around 15–20% LTV, rather than the 25%+ most lenders are pitching their best rates at.
In that case, you are a first time buyer. Basically, shop around for the best rate you can get. If that rate means you need to be a first time buyer, then say your a first time buyer. PM me if you'd like detailed advice on this.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But Uncle C is adamant that house prices are not determined by interest rates.

In that case, you are a first time buyer. Basically, shop around for the best rate you can get. If that rate means you need to be a first time buyer, then say your a first time buyer. PM me if you'd like detailed advice on this.

I don't believe this is the case. Also as said, it is a disadvantage to be a first time buyer as you have no history of having a mortgage and paying it, therefore in this economic climate it is an advantage to show you have had a mortgage in the past and maintained the payments so why is this thread wanting the OP to go down the road of basically lying and disadvantaging himself ? There is no differential in rates except a couple of lenders charge a lower arrangement fee for ftb's, Nationwide. PM me when you want to look into this.

- - - Updated - - -

The rates would be the same for a ftb or stb. You are confusing this with different rates per loan to value bands.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't believe this is the case.
I haven't said otherwise.
why is this thread wanting the OP to go down the road of basically lying and disadvantaging himself ?
It's not. I said find the best deal, and 'if that rate means you need to be a first time buyer...'. You're simple saying that the best deal he can find will not be for a first time buyer, so he won't say he's a first time buyer will he.

a couple of lenders charge a lower arrangement fee for ftb's
Better than a kick in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here