[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the older you get, the more you realise that leaving early is not a matter of life and death. Better by far to watch 80 minutes of football live than watch 90 minutes on Sky. Albion matches are like P&R buses: there'll be another one along in a while. Never thought I'd hear myself saying that. But Covid changed everything, and the never-ending train crap doesn't help either
Other way for me really, particularly since I retired and have more time - I simply don't plan anything else on a matchday that would interfere and therefore not bothered how long it takes me to get home so I always stay until the end whether I'm driving/walking or going by train.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It'll take you about 50 minutes, with the outside chance of picking up a bus or flagging down a cab en route. At least you're then heading towards your destination, rather than standing in some idiot non-moving holding pen for an hour
I thought that but Google reckons 1 hour 6 minutes walking Stadium to St Peters Church.

And Google doesn't know the route is a pub crawl as well. :drink:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This of course assumes you can get any kind of mobile reception around the vicinity of Falmer station - of which I have zero.

I also bailed on the train queue as soon as I heard about the trespassing nimrods. Having not anticipated this, and not knowing that there was an entire fleet of empty 49's sitting somewhere waiting to whisk me away to Kubla Khan, I headed towards Lewes Road where every bus was indeed f*cked.

I'm glad you were whisked along with a fleet of unicorns and prosseco back into town after the game, congrats. But if there are no trains next week, I'll STILL be loathe to spend half my afternoon and evening sat on a bus trekking to the Amex and back, when I can spend a stress-free day loafing in the garden and then finding a barstool for the game.

My travel tolerance is now spent.
Indeed, you really do sound like a fan at the very end of his travelling tether.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought that but Google reckons 1 hour 6 minutes walking Stadium to St Peters Church.

WHU last game 2022 we had a few refreshers post match, then walked to the Albert for rehydration in around 45-50 minutes. Clearly a better option if the weather is clement.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

That sounds about right.

If I'm walking all the way from home in Portslade, it takes an hour along the seafront to reach the Palace Pier, and then about another hour from there up Lewes Road to the Amex. I usually factor in about 2 1/4 hours, but longer if I'm getting SPANNERED along the way of course.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not much of one these days. I remember walking from Coldean Lane to the pier back in the day and I was absolutely bladdered. That's when we had the Hiker's, the Ship, Royal Hussar/Cock & Bottle, Bear, Gladstone, Allen, Alexandra, Lewes Rd Inn and Racehill - only four of those now remain (two with a name change).

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
The Bournemouth game isn’t going to be helped by the fact that it’s moving in weekend at the Uni, so no car parking at Sussex Uni.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As I say, I understand why people do it.

From Findon, I think I left home around 12:45 on Saturday, had a couple of pickups in Worthing, parked at the uni at the very top, strolled over and we were in the WSU concourse around 2:05.

We stayed to the final whistle, clapped the team off and had a brief natter before reversing the above journey. I'm not sure what time I got back to Findon after the drop-offs, but I started a couple of threads on here around 6:45, so I probably walked in the door at 6:30, give or take.

That's not too bad, really. We could leave later and we could also make a dash at the final whistle, but on home match days I just don't plan anything else.
So reading the post above about Bournemouth and no Uni parking, what’s the plan to be able to continue your zen like getting away from the Amex experience for that game Bozza and still stick to those timings?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That sounds about right.

If I'm walking all the way from home in Portslade, it takes an hour along the seafront to reach the Palace Pier, and then about another hour from there up Lewes Road to the Amex. I usually factor in about 2 1/4 hours, but longer if I'm getting SPANNERED along the way of course.
There are a lot of variables in getting spannered. Anything up to a weekend.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
If it’s like Pride - an overtime ban could mean that they can’t open the station, as they couldn’t safely cope with the extra fans

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Not much of one these days. I remember walking from Coldean Lane to the pier back in the day and I was absolutely bladdered. That's when we had the Hiker's, the Ship, Royal Hussar/Cock & Bottle, Bear, Gladstone, Allen, Alexandra, Lewes Rd Inn and Racehill - only four of those now remain (two with a name change).
You must have been really bladdered to have ended up at the Racehill starting from the Hikers. The Hikers to the Lewes Road Inn almost a straight line. Then an uphill tangent..:drink:

Jul 7, 2003
If it’s like Pride - an overtime ban could mean that they can’t open the station, as they couldn’t safely cope with the extra fans
Slight difference between 30k at the Amex and 250k for Pride.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Slight difference between 30k at the Amex and 250k for Pride.
However, I’m sure the extra train staff they have to put in place on a match day cannot be achieved through day to day numbers and without overtime. My understanding is that anything other than the normal, and they see it as a safety issue.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
How sh1t are our trains we find silver lining appears can arrive but no return trains after match. Sat 19th timetable will be confirmed its all provisional now. Anyone done the walk Falmer to Brighton city centre slow walking how long it takes? Might be better than hour plus wait for sardine bus
I’d you look at national rail enquiries, and real time trains, there are currently scheduled trains running back after the game.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
However, I’m sure the extra train staff they have to put in place on a match day cannot be achieved through day to day numbers and without overtime. My understanding is that anything other than the normal, and they see it as a safety issue.
Last weekend was an overtime ban, and it was fine (until the trespassers ruined everything). 4 trains per hour run between Brighton and Falmer on a standard day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You must have been really bladdered to have ended up at the Racehill starting from the Hikers. The Hikers to the Lewes Road Inn almost a straight line. Then an uphill tangent..:drink:
The Racehill was on Lewes Rd, not uphill at all (it's now a doctors' surgery). You're confusing it with The Finishing Post (another pub that has closed)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports