[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bollocks. The buses did not look f***ed in the slightest. As soon as the train app told me the trains were f***ed due to trespasser on the line, I bailed out of that stupid queue, switched on the B&H buses app, checjed on next 49 departure, and was on my way vack into town within 15 mins. Even some Luton fans had worked had worked it out as a Plan B by that point. But you carry on. Saves more room for the rest of us :lol: :wave:
This of course assumes you can get any kind of mobile reception around the vicinity of Falmer station - of which I have zero.

I also bailed on the train queue as soon as I heard about the trespassing nimrods. Having not anticipated this, and not knowing that there was an entire fleet of empty 49's sitting somewhere waiting to whisk me away to Kubla Khan, I headed towards Lewes Road where every bus was indeed f*cked.

I'm glad you were whisked along with a fleet of unicorns and prosseco back into town after the game, congrats. But if there are no trains next week, I'll STILL be loathe to spend half my afternoon and evening sat on a bus trekking to the Amex and back, when I can spend a stress-free day loafing in the garden and then finding a barstool for the game.

My travel tolerance is now spent.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looks like thetrainline has updated its schedule for next sat.
Looks like it’s possible Brighton to Falmer and back .

You can also get to Brighton along the west coast line but forget getting back as the last train Worthing bound is 17:20

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Looks like thetrainline has updated its schedule for next sat.
Looks like it’s possible Brighton to Falmer and back .

You can also get to Brighton along the west coast line but forget getting back as the last train Worthing bound is 17:20

The 700 CoastLINERS ( and the N700 Night buses for the boozers ) will be bursting.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Does not help everybody but I don’t think these two dates affect Southern Rail.
Southern is part of Govia Thameslink and will see industrial action.

The online rail planners are already updated with the timetable - and it is an early finish for Southern services ( although the last Falmer - Brighton service is 22:43. Just don't expect an onward connection - last Brighton-London service 20:40, no trains to Worthing after 17:20 which is before kick off ).

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

It’s always been a thing, since Withdean at least. Spoilt geographically there, we always stayed until final whistle as we lived 5 minutes away … but sitting at the end of an aisle in the SS we were buffeted by the hordes leaving early to get back to …. guessing …. Hastings, Littlehampton, Newhaven. Win, lose or draw.

For me now, door to door it’s a 1:30 to 5:15 venture. I just don’t want to add an hour to that, standing in that boring park n ride bus park with crap 4G/WiFi.

I would 100% stay to applaud the players off, if it was followed by just 15 minutes queuing. Never going to happen, with 32,000 leaving a single point in the outskirts of a city with a rubbish train station/line that can only take tiny trains. The Emirates and Wembley have the same issue, vast masses sneak away early to be the first to the train station.

Other urban grounds where everyone can head off 360 post-match in my recent experience are pretty much full until final whistle eg Molyneux, Anfield. I was just a young kid in 30k Goldstone gates, I wonder what people did then?
Out of interest, what do you do when it’s a hugely important game towards the end of the season. Say for example the Southampton game or Man U game from last season? Or if we had a home FA Cup quarter final heading to penalties?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s always been a thing, since Withdean at least. Spoilt geographically there, we always stayed until final whistle as we lived 5 minutes away … but sitting at the end of an aisle in the SS we were buffeted by the hordes leaving early to get back to …. guessing …. Hastings, Littlehampton, Newhaven. Win, lose or draw.

For me now, door to door it’s a 1:30 to 5:15 venture. I just don’t want to add an hour to that, standing in that boring park n ride bus park with crap 4G/WiFi.

I would 100% stay to applaud the players off, if it was followed by just 15 minutes queuing. Never going to happen, with 32,000 leaving a single point in the outskirts of a city with a rubbish train station/line that can only take tiny trains. The Emirates and Wembley have the same issue, vast masses sneak away early to be the first to the train station.

Other urban grounds where everyone can head off 360 post-match in my recent experience are pretty much full until final whistle eg Molyneux, Anfield. I was just a young kid in 30k Goldstone gates, I wonder what people did then?
As I say, I understand why people do it.

From Findon, I think I left home around 12:45 on Saturday, had a couple of pickups in Worthing, parked at the uni at the very top, strolled over and we were in the WSU concourse around 2:05.

We stayed to the final whistle, clapped the team off and had a brief natter before reversing the above journey. I'm not sure what time I got back to Findon after the drop-offs, but I started a couple of threads on here around 6:45, so I probably walked in the door at 6:30, give or take.

That's not too bad, really. We could leave later and we could also make a dash at the final whistle, but on home match days I just don't plan anything else.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
silver lining is trains ok before .

It's just after that needs to be re-jigged . Should be able to make an all day of it and then ponce a lift after

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

From Findon, I think I left home around 12:45 on Saturday, had a couple of pickups in Worthing, parked at the uni at the very top, strolled over and we were in the WSU concourse around 2:05.

We stayed to the final whistle, clapped the team off and had a brief natter before reversing the above journey. I'm not sure what time I got back to Findon after the drop-offs, but I started a couple of threads on here around 6:45, so I probably walked in the door at 6:30, give or take.

That's not too bad, really. We could leave later and we could also make a dash at the final whistle, but on home match days I just don't plan anything else.

To add, I'm not the Albion fanatic most nsc'ers are I think. I never went to Priestfield, I've had long spells of not going. Football's just one of my interests. But I did cry with joy after Potter's team destroyed Leicester (it seemed a seminal Albion moment) and beat Stains to make Europe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of interest, what do you do when it’s a hugely important game towards the end of the season. Say for example the Southampton game or Man U game from last season? Or if we had a home FA Cup quarter final heading to penalties?

So, genuinely I never missed an Albion Amex goal for season after season. I left when I judged in injury time or late 80 minutes that the game was fizzling out. I was once outside and heard a roar, gutted that I'd seen us beat Burnley. It turned out that it was a Burnley equaliser in 2019 or 2020 after we'd bloody outclassed them. Poyet, Garcia and Potter teams just didn't deliver late winners.

I have stayed to clap the players lots of times eg Stains. It's an all or nothing thing. To avoid standing for an hour in the tedious bus park, I grab a warm pint of lager and hang around.

Where my routine has gone awry is under RDZ, he's created a monster that plays and scores right up to final whistle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, genuinely I never missed an Albion Amex goal for season after season. I left when I judged in injury time or late 80 minutes that the game was fizzling out. I was once outside and heard a roar, gutted that I'd seen us beat Burnley. It turned out that it was a Burnley equaliser in 2019 or 2020 after we'd bloody outclassed them. Poyet, Garcia and Potter teams just didn't deliver late winners.

I have stayed to clap the players lots of times eg Stains. It's an all or nothing thing. To avoid standing for an hour in the tedious bus park, I grab a warm pint of lager and hang around.

Where my routine has gone awry is under RDZ, he's created a monster that plays and scores right up to final whistle.
I think the older you get, the more you realise that leaving early is not a matter of life and death. Better by far to watch 80 minutes of football live than watch 90 minutes on Sky. Albion matches are like P&R buses: there'll be another one along in a while. Never thought I'd hear myself saying that. But Covid changed everything, and the never-ending train crap doesn't help either

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the older you get, the more you realise that leaving early is not a matter of life and death. Better by far to watch 80 minutes of football live than watch 90 minutes on Sky. Albion matches are like P&R buses: there'll be another one along in a while. Never thought I'd hear myself saying that. But Covid changed everything, and the never-ending train crap doesn't help either

Plus, in my case, my legs feel more knackered :lolol: .

I envy @Bozza who got down to a sensible weight and seriously fit. It must make a difference.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's what I thought until I left the man u game early last season 😢

mile oak

May 21, 2023
How sh1t are our trains we find silver lining appears can arrive but no return trains after match. Sat 19th timetable will be confirmed its all provisional now. Anyone done the walk Falmer to Brighton city centre slow walking how long it takes? Might be better than hour plus wait for sardine bus

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Is that free parking (at the Uni?)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How sh1t are our trains we find silver lining appears can arrive but no return trains after match. Sat 19th timetable will be confirmed its all provisional now. Anyone done the walk Falmer to Brighton city centre slow walking how long it takes? Might be better than hour plus wait for sardine bus
It'll take you about 50 minutes, with the outside chance of picking up a bus or flagging down a cab en route. At least you're then heading towards your destination, rather than standing in some idiot non-moving holding pen at the Amex for an hour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports