[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Slightly related to the topic - does anyone know if we ever got back to pre-pandemic levels of service delivery?

What I mean is we saw a lot of delays / cancellations post-lockdown due to sickness etc. (fair enough, it was a pandemic after all) and so trains always felt a bit iffy in terms of being able to get from A to B. And now we're mired in strikes etc. as well so feels like a reduced level of service on what was already a reduced level of service owing to post-pandemic f**kery.

Note - want to be clear I'm not trying to dig anyone out over this, I'm just curious.
Short Answer - Not Likely, Long Answer - if the railway get investment. The amount of stock which has been retired on southern means that a lot of the reduced service will likely never be restored. 46 units down so far since the pandemic with no replacement.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
If anyone wants it, I just re-listed my bridge parking space for the Wet Sham game as can no longer make it...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I turned up at Angmering station on Saturday lunchtime, ten minutes before departure time, to find that the ticket machines weren't working. The poor bloke in the ticket office had at least 30 people desperately trying to buy tickets before the train arrived. I guess they'll eventually expect everyone to buy and keep their tickets on their phones.....
[/QUOTE]
Not your problem just get on the train without a ticket.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I agree, they need to sort this out, but at the end of the day the government have the purse strings, and can call the talks, no one is actively doing it.

Nobody is sitting round as there is just a blame game, the government say it’s between the companies and the unions. The companies then go to the unions, get a fully costed plan. Go back to the department and say this is what we’ll do. Then the government say, no we don’t want to give in, give them these stupid T&Cs to insert with the fully costed plans, which wouldn’t be able to be implemented. Inevitably the companies then go back to the union with the stupid T&Cs, the Union say no and the whole process starts again. As I pointed out the companies which do not have to seek Central government approval have all reached fully costed resolutions, why can’t the other TOCs, because it’s ideological, no one in the government cares.

The only way this ends is a general election.
⬆️ This. All of this.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I turned up at Angmering station on Saturday lunchtime, ten minutes before departure time, to find that the ticket machines weren't working. The poor bloke in the ticket office had at least 30 people desperately trying to buy tickets before the train arrived. I guess they'll eventually expect everyone to buy and keep their tickets on their phones.....
Not your problem just get on the train without a ticket.
[/QUOTE]
The barriers were manned and they weren't letting anyone get onto the platform without a ticket

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
For the whole season ?
Yes if required otherwise game by game, we used one at Wembley for the semifinal it was a five minute walk to the stadium quiet side street parked on the drive of the house and just walked off to the ground no interaction with the home owners required all booked on line very simple

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What are the cycling racks like up at the Amex these days?
Are there any Beryl bike stands near the Uni?
The cycle path down from Falmer to town looks pretty good and it’s looking like the best way to travel these days
Have you considered the omnibus? or a Seagulls Travel charabanc?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Which is incredibly silly considering you can buy off the OBS.
Indeed. However there was little chance of the OBS moving along the carriage once we'd reached Durrington because it was absolutely rammed as usual, so perhaps they realised that most people simply wouldn't bother even trying to buy a ticket.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Whole of Coldean out. Moulescombe for parking too. Anyone know can you safety walk off road Falmer to Woodingdean and how long it takes?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whole of Coldean out. Moulescombe for parking too. Anyone know can you safety walk off road Falmer to Woodingdean and how long it takes?
@dazzer6666 is the "walk from Woodingdean" man - I'm sure he'll share some tips when he sees this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm still mildly traumatised from the post-match transport SHITSHOW on Saturday (unexpected 4.5 mile walk), so the thought of another battle to the Amex and back when the trains are up the Khyber again is not overly appealing. I'm away for Newcastle anyway, but a barstool for WHU is looking quite tempting tbh.

My tolerance levels have dropped through the floor since I've gone past 50. I really, really cannot be ARSED with it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes. There’s a path all the way. I think it’s about half an hour - maybe more uphill on the way back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The online rail planners update on Friday for the day of the West Ham game.

The 5:30 kick off doesn't help and I suspect the service will wind up earlier than usual that evening.

I reckon a trek/pub crawl back into Brighton after the game is on the cards.

Broken Britain.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
@dazzer6666 is the "walk from Woodingdean" man - I'm sure he'll share some tips when he sees this.
Foot/cycle path all the way down (behind the hedge) from Bexhill Road, resurfaced too so doesn’t have the mud/puddles it used to have. Parking on Bexhill Road is getting increasingly busy though, can struggle to find a space now if not early although suspect there are options in and around the industrial units.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This will be costing the club. Against Spurs last season they ran shuttle buses to Falmer from Old Steine. That’s not free.

I definitely won’t be hanging round after either game. Normally a couple of pints for me and a snack for the boy. Doesn’t sound much, but if 100 people do the same we’re down a bag.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I’d like to think your post is a tongue in cheek one.

If, however, it’s not it’s us poor buggers that had to put up with all that shit yesterday, and again to be repeated on the 26th August and 2nd September. Regardless of whether you think the country is a shitpit the industrial action you condone has now been going on long enough with zero resolution in sight. The government don’t seem to give a stuff, the train companies are probably dictated to by the government and therefore limited on what they can offer (I’m guessing that one) and the unions, be they ASLEF or RMT, are hell bent on screwing up everyone who wants to travel by train.

I’m hard pushed now to remember the last time I caught a train that wasn’t affected by some form of disruption. So my suggestion to all concerned - the government transport department, the train company directors and the union leaders all meet up in a windowless portacabin somewhere to sort this out. I will personally lock you in and will only let you out when you have agreed and resolved whatever sodding issues that you may have. In the meantime whatever complete shitfest you have decided to foist on us is cancelled and that a decent, reliable service is implemented indefinitely.

There, rant over. :drink:

It wasn't tongue-in-cheek.

You raise the point - the government don't care.

They are the root cause of all this shite - the sewage, £32bn of worthless PPE, new oil licenses (unbelievable), NHS cuts. I could go on but I'm depressed enough about the whole situation as it is.

The government is at fault, pure and simple. The unions are sticking up for their workers and are not backing down. Good, the current government must go.
In my ideal world, we would what they did in Iceland. March our corrupt government through the centre of London and let the public direct their ire at them - plus some rotten veg too hopefully.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This will be costing the club. Against Spurs last season they ran shuttle buses to Falmer from Old Steine. That’s not free.

I definitely won’t be hanging round after either game. Normally a couple of pints for me and a snack for the boy. Doesn’t sound much, but if 100 people do the same we’re down a bag.
Or if one person doesn't buy a bag of Opal Fruits.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"Come along chaps and chapesses, just follow me"

KinderScout.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports