Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than 250,000 are homeless in England - Shelter

Oct 25, 2003
I'm surprised that there isn't any government funded emergency Japanese style capsule accommodation in problem areas. You could have temporary modular structures on unused sites like Preston Barracks for example. It could even be a good business for a private venture that was financed by the government because it would save on paying emergency landlords top prices.

BHT launched their 'shipping containers' project in Richardson Yard a few years ago which have had mixed success depending on who you talk to

I do think some fresh thinking would be welcomed- the council spend a disgusting amount of money on temporary 'accommodation'. Some of the places used in the city are utterly disgusting, not fit for human habitation and become a bit of a revolving door as people abandon the accommodation as they'd rather be back on the streets

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
BHT launched their 'shipping containers' project in Richardson Yard a few years ago which have had mixed success depending on who you talk to

I do think some fresh thinking would be welcomed- the council spend a disgusting amount of money on temporary 'accommodation'. Some of the places used in the city are utterly disgusting, not fit for human habitation and become a bit of a revolving door as people abandon the accommodation as they'd rather be back on the streets

Agree. Those shipping containers are a gimmick and they don’t cater for the emergency or the flow of homeless.

If a shipping container is 20ft by 40ft you could fit maybe 12 sleeping capsules in it with a bathroom compared to housing one person.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I used to work in a hostel for homeless and shelter came to us one day and said the amount of actual street homeless is less than 10 in Brighton and hove

It was certainly claimed as a figure a few years back. Living in the centre of town, I can vouch that it's way higher than that now.

A few are from other shores, but most aren't.

Oct 25, 2003
It was certainly claimed as a figure a few years back. Living in the centre of town, I can vouch that it's way higher than that now.

A few are from other shores, but most aren't.

I think that figure was derived from a snap shot head count which would have had all sorts of reasons as to why it wasn't accurate. Nowadays most figures would be derived from the 'CAIERS' system that first base, antifreeze, st mungo's, ymca, equinox all contribute to. This keeps track of people accessing services and being seen on outreach- it's not perfect as people do lie about rough sleeping in order to access services but it's probably the most accurate way of keeping track of numbers. When I left there was generally somewhere between 150 and 170 known rough sleepers in B&H at any one time (it would fluctuate throughout the year). That is of course not including squatters (of which B&H has a large population) or sofa surfers. It would also not include those in temporary accommodation who would be deemed homeless in many peoples eyes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm sure the Daily Mail will blame this on immigrants

Latest figures (on the BBC 10 o'clock news tonight ) show that migration to the UK in the last 12 months was 650'000 and net migration was 350'000 - the highest levels ever recorded.

People who refuse to recognise the link between migration to the UK of this magnitude and the current housing shortage are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Meet an 80 year old lady in Worthing the other day frezzing cold asking passers by if they had any change begging on the street this is so not right so I wrote to my MP to suggest that in such times we should not spend 2.5 billion pounds on the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham palace and the other stately home mentioned last week on the news propping up the few but instead invest in the poor and needy.

It's so wrong that we have the old needing to beg, not even close to the amount of social housing required spend 2.5 billion on this

what is happening here is that there are expenses in repairing Buckingham Palace. And that is being funded from the profits of the Crown Estate. Sure, it's all flowing through the Treasury but see above--if we were designing the system anew we probably wouldn't do it this way.

The important point to grasp is that Buckingham Palace does not belong to Mrs. E. Windsor, it belongs to the Monarch. The Crown Estate does not belong to Mrs. E. Windsor, it belongs to the Monarch. And the profits on one part of the Monarch's estate are being used to pay for the upkeep of another part of the Monarch's estate.

That is, the Crown is already paying for these repairs to Buckingham Palace. Which is what makes demands that the Crown, or its estate, should pay for the repairs to Buckingham Palace so damn ignorant.

As at the top there, not understanding the economics of something is a dangerous place to start from when making demands about the economics of something.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...ckingham-palace-repairs-already/#21384617500f

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I worked for 3 years for a homeless agency before unfortunately it took its toll on me and I had to get out. In my 3 years the work just became more and more of a losing battle with not only the volume of rough sleepers rising but also the complexity of those individuals. When I first started you had a lot more of your, if you like, 'old school' homeless people- mostly men in their 40's/50's who had been homeless for a while, very much entrenched but reasonably straight forward....they tended not to beg, they were pretty respectful of people who were trying to help them etc. (this is a sweeping generalisation but was more often than not the case). By the end of my time there the homeless scene in Brighton was absolute chaos and had grown to an unmanageable level- the type of homeless person had changed as well....there was a LOT more mental illness with people who are WAY too vulnerable to spend a night on the streets not getting the help they need, there was a LOT more drug use (especially during the horrendous 'legal high' phase), and there was a big increase in young, pretty aggressive males from overseas who were causing all sorts of problems.

Unfortunately Brighton has become a bit of a honeypot for people with all sorts of issues as it's perceived to have good services (homeless people DO come to Brighton because of the quality of it's homeless services- that is a fact) and it's perceived to have a decent quality of life, jobs, and safety

Great post, that just shows how are our sense of equality and fairness encourages fruit cakes from all over Europe.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great post, that just shows how are our sense of equality and fairness encourages fruit cakes from all over Europe.

Don't forget Scotland.....

Seriously a high number are ex services, my friend an ex para used to the rounds in Brighton with ex services trying to help he to said it was depressing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here