Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monthly D/D donations to charities.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I was thinking about sponsoring a donkey a short while ago but Couldn't decided between Obika or LIta.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I have a small monthly DD to Cancer Research. I do sometimes have my doubts about its worth as they often keep writing to me either thanking me for my continued support or asking if I can up my DD. All this costs them money. I just feel that they should take my cash, use it for research and get on worth it, I don't need feedback every 2 months on cancer rates etc.

I only get emails from them every couple of weeks which obviously doesn't cost as much. Is that because I gave them my email address or because I forgot to tell them I moved five years ago?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I do £10 pdsa £10 rspca £10 split for two others I can't remember the acronyms...

I think everyone should donate a small amount.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
My cousin runs a charity for adults and children with HIV in Zambia so I give to that as I know where the money goes. I do get a bit annoyed when I do a one off donation to a big charity and then get inundated from them asking for more even when I ask them not to contact me - the Red Cross seem particularly bad for this.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I personally don't have an issue with heads of big charities being paid large salaries as long as it's comparable with similar positions in other sectors . You cannot IMHO expect a talented individual to head up a large global charity for free or minimum wage or whatever. And it may well be the case they bring more value to the charity than their salary.

Some of the structures seem offensively top heavy. My personal pet hate is charities that focus too heavily on lobbying and PR. I used to donate to the NSPCC, but the actual good work they do, seemed to be shrinking. I also starting ranting when there is a celebrity accused of some misdemeanour - for example wife beating and regardless of whether they have actually done this, there is a spokesperson on the news from some related charity, giving it the hard sell. There was one last year I think related to football homophobia where the vice president of communications from a charity was given a platform to spout a load of irrelevant crap.

My favourite charity is Anthony Nolan - a practical bone marrow register, backed up by some serious and focussed medical research, that genuinely makes a difference and saves lives.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
On a similar(ish) theme, it's worth finding out if your company can donate on your behalf through their payroll system (called Give as you Earn)

Essentially means you're donation is made before tax (but after NI), so the charity should get a little more

applecrumble

Dec 21, 2013
Not sure how much this has changed on the last 3yrs but Cancer research get about 100million a year in grants for research into the most common 10 types of cancer whereas the mental health foundation, which is essentially the same but for mental health receive 2million. Mental health is set to be the biggest cause of death in a few years and charities like mhf provide no services just research so people don't tend to support them. charities like mind need the research just like mc million need cruk. Had the chance to work for mhf and imo they are brilliant.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't have any direct debits set up and i simply wouldn't.

I will often chuck money into collection boxes for Help the Heroes, Guide dogs for the blind(very special to me) and obviously buy a poppy every November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here