Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
But this is an unusual store as it is over 7 floors and apparently is expensive to operate and not liked by the usual IKEA buying public. Would be nice to blame it on Brexit but don't think this is the case this time.

Goodness knows what else they will do with it.

It's bang in the middle of Coventry City Centre so this is going to be a huge loss to the city.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They have started on the ground works a single lane road has been layed across the site to enable building access, all trees and shrubs have been cleared diggers are currently levelling the area the many rivulets and culverts have been cleared I think I am correct in saying these will be diverted to form one river across the site to the river Adur.

I also understand all this work has started prior to all the permissions have been granted so they must be very confident

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
IKEA Coventry was in a location very hard to get to and a crap layout - and site never suited an IKEA

IKEA recently opened a new store in Sheffield and extended Nottingham one to make it about double the size

Coventry a one off disaster zone for them

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They have started on the ground works a single lane road has been layed across the site to enable building access, all trees and shrubs have been cleared diggers are currently levelling the area the many rivulets and culverts have been cleared I think I am correct in saying these will be diverted to form one river across the site to the river Adur.

I also understand all this work has started prior to all the permissions have been granted so they must be very confident

Good words there mate. Like it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The planning permission was unconditional. I think the Herald tried to say it was dependent on WSCC providing money for a school. Some people in Shoreham have been saying that.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The planning permission was unconditional. I think the Herald tried to say it was dependent on WSCC providing money for a school. Some people in Shoreham have been saying that.

I thought the work currently underway was for the women's training hub and extra pitches

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
IKEA Coventry was in a location very hard to get to and a crap layout - and site never suited an IKEA

IKEA recently opened a new store in Sheffield and extended Nottingham one to make it about double the size

Coventry a one off disaster zone for them

For an IKEA I quite like like it - you can escape from the junk and look out over the City Centre from the top floor windows. Everywhere else I get IKEAITIS and misbehave until the wife takes me home.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Definitely far more traffic for those in the Shoreham to Worthing part of the World.

Whilst useful to have an Ikea down here for many others. No more dreaded trips through South London.

Come to Southampton! You could do it on the train from Brighton and walk to IKEA from the Central station.

Not good if the intention is to buy lots of flat pack furniture, though.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I thought the work currently underway was for the women's training hub and extra pitches

That's a separate thing. Yes the training ground has works going on. But also the rest of Monks Farm has ground works going on to prepare it for the houses, school and shops. You can see the new development preparations from the A27.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's been reported this morning that the whole NMFD has got the final go ahead.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Come to Southampton! You could do it on the train from Brighton and walk to IKEA from the Central station.

Not good if the intention is to buy lots of flat pack furniture, though.

I have managed to reach a considerable age without ever stepping inside an IKEA store. What have I missed? Where should it go on the bucket list relative to, say, skydiving or cycling across Australia?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I have managed to reach a considerable age without ever stepping inside an IKEA store. What have I missed? Where should it go on the bucket list relative to, say, skydiving or cycling across Australia?

All depends on whether you have an unhealthy obsession for meatballs/a sprog about to go to uni or an insatiable desire for fake Daim bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another huge chunk of lovely Sussex countryside lost forever.
Before we know it Shoreham is going to be a blink and you’ll miss it town dwarfed between huge developments. Such a shame.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've been saying this for a few years now, Those monks are good planners and I'm sure they will take care of the farm wisely.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Before we know it Shoreham is going to be a blink and you’ll miss it town dwarfed between huge developments. Such a shame.

But what an advert for blinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here