Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Money saving tips - Good offers - General thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Petrol at the big Tesco near Gatwick Airport seems to be at least 10p a litre under the market rate
Has always been cheap there. Mind you, petrol prices in the Crawley area are ridiculously low. Especially the big Sainsburys on the A23, the Apple garage down the road from there, or the Sainsbury express in Horley.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
May be an obvious one but NEVER just accept the price rises from your car insurer etc. For as long as I can remember we have got money off by calling them straight away when the price increase email lands. Last year we kept the cost exactly the same, this year a very small rise was unavoidable (a couple of quid a month) but we got something like £150 (annual) off the amount they said it was going to go up by.

I did the same with Sky just now.

"It's going up £10 a month"
"Please don't"
"OK"

Took 5 mins

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
May be an obvious one but NEVER just accept the price rises from your car insurer etc. For as long as I can remember we have got money off by calling them straight away when the price increase email lands. Last year we kept the cost exactly the same, this year a very small rise was unavoidable (a couple of quid a month) but we got something like £150 (annual) off the amount they said it was going to go up by.

"Please don't"
"OK"

Took 5 mins
Yes negotiate with your telecoms / media provider and give them a hard time in particular about them introducing automatic inflation linked price increases- bast*rds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

"Please don't"
"OK"

Took 5 mins

I've been with LV for years, great customer eg when an idiot wiped put my new car in 2017. I've never cost them a bean, but at last month's renewal they upped my premium from £550 to £900!

I hadn't used Confused.com for ages, but went back to them and I switched to Aviva with a £500 premium.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
10% bonus on Tesco and Sainsbury gift cards purchased with withdrawals from Betfair (and maybe Paddy Power).

Haven't done this yet and but noticed today that when you withdraw funds from Betfair there's loads of alternative options rather than putting it back into your bank. I have £200 in there at the moment and can have it in the form of a £220 Tesco voucher. Don't know if you can only do it once but still worth doing. I can't see why you couldn't do this even if you have no interest in using the Betfair account for gambling i.e. open the account deposit cash and then withdraw.

I have done this before when there was a 15% voucher bonus for Adidas and it worked fine (only 7% at the moment).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Using a Wise debit card for non-GBP spending. Incredibly cheap fees compared to standard bank cards or exchanging cash. Also offering 4.12% on credit balances.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Seems obvious but since I've stopped shopping at Morrison and switched to Lidl my weekly shop has gone down I'd say between £15-£20 per week,the meat is the biggest saver.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I never pay full price for a train fare but use split ticketing via traintickets.com instead. Just been asked to go to New Malden tomorrow - £59.00 via Southern / buying at the station. I can get it down to £44.87 via traintickets.com and collect the tickets from the machine at the station same as if I'd booked through Southern.

Work travel for me varies each month so no point getting a season ticket but I'll save anything from £100 to £300 a month booking tickets this way. I was in Wimbledon yesterday, travelling on-peak times, and saved £21 only booking the night before, so that's £35 saved this week.

With a bit more advance notice it can be even more saving because you can get very cheap advanced singles as part of the journey and split ticketing will also do things like give you a tramlink ticket that you can use on the train between stations that have tramstops and is cheaper than a train ticket between the same places. I think my biggest London saving has been Clapham Junction for £15 instead of £57. It should be made standard practice that when you buy a ticket at the station they use the same software to do you the cheapest permutation of travel - it feels almost criminal to have such a price difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks. Presumably a current account, are Wise fine with that being rarely used and not having regular income paid into it?
Not even a current account - just a card/e-card (I don’t even carry the card, just have it in my google wallet). You can instantly add GBP and convert to whatever currency you need at good rates using the app. The interest-earning bit is simply another ‘jar’.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hi, Bitch Hut here.

Tui are offering a free rubber ring if you buy a two week all-inclusive trip to the Seychelles. I've now got a rubber ring I don't need so I'm going to sell it for £3 on Facebook Marketplace like the shrewdy I am.
NSCs finest CAUC

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are YOU into protein bars, shakes, powders and other stuff like that? Then I've got the website for you

For all your close to/past best before end bargains.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Try the "Too Good To Go" app.

Basically allows you to buy cheap food from various outlets. It's a bit hit and miss but quite a good idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here