Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Monday Night Quiz Night is Back!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Disappointing that Amol Rajin, and not Samira Ahmed, has replaced Paxman, but 'University Challenge' is back next week:

The wonderful 'Only Connect' is back on the same day!

All shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Great news!
I was hoping Clive Myrie would get the University Challenge gig, but I am just happy that Monday night quiz night is back.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The good Lord gives with one hand, and takes away with the other.
Not a fan? I love 'Only Connect' as it's questions are aimed at a wider range of knowledge. The breadth of knowledge among the teams on UC is generally amazing, especially considering the youth of most of them. However, the questions rarely stray from subjects taught on University courses. I only get to pull the self-satisfied 'Oh dear - that one was easy!' when the music round is something other than classical or opera and I can smugly identify something that was on the radio before they were born. With OC, all the time I've wasted watching junk TV, reading about pop culture, obsessing over films, sport and comedy etc. comes in much more useful.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looking forward to watching the whole series of University Challenge once more. This year, I might even get a question right before they do

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not a fan? I love 'Only Connect' as it's questions are aimed at a wider range of knowledge. The breadth of knowledge among the teams on UC is generally amazing, especially considering the youth of most of them. However, the questions rarely stray from subjects taught on University courses. I only get to pull the self-satisfied 'Oh dear - that one was easy!' when the music round is something other than classical or opera and I can smugly identify something that was on the radio before they were born. With OC, all the time I've wasted watching junk TV, reading about pop culture, obsessing over films, sport and comedy etc. comes in much more useful.
The questions on Only Connect don't fit with however it is my brain works (see also: scrabble and any anagram based game, despite having a generally broad vocabulary).
I also, while realising this is entirely subjective, I find Victoria Coren quite irritating.
Anyway, I try not to come on the Internet only to shit on things that other people like, and it's not like they're showing it instead of films of bollard crash tests, so I'll leave it there.
Re. University Challenge, my vet friends were always extremely scathing about how easy the medical/biology questions are. I lived with a guy from the University of Bristol team, who was entirely lovely and also basically guaranteed victory in any pub quiz he could be persuaded to attend.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Only Connect back again? How many episodes before I get my only correct answer?
Try this one. Fit the 16 into four groups of four and say what links them.

Trossard

White​

Bridge​

Hemed​

Dunk

Cook​

Mooy​

Ferguson​

Gross

Stephens​

Ward​

Mac Allister​

Brown

Ryan​

Suttner​

Colwill​

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Try this one. Fit the 16 into four groups of four and say what links them.

Trossard

White​

Bridge​

Hemed​

Dunk

Cook​

Mooy​

Ferguson​

Gross

Stephens​

Ward​

Mac Allister​

Brown

Ryan​

Suttner​

Colwill​
Presuming this is a real question, you've got me beat.
Worked out two have a single England cap.
Three went to Arsenal.
But I can see no relationship between six of them and any of the others.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Here are the answers with spoilers for anybody still guessing.

Trossard, White, Stephens, Mac Allister - players we sold to other EPL teams
Bridge, Colwill, Mooy, Brown - Players we had on loan
Dunk, Hemed, Gross, Suttner - Starters in our first match in the EPL
Ward, Ferguson, Ryan, Cook - Players in the Bloom era that share their surnames with former Albion attackers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ward, Ferguson, Ryan, Cook - Players in the Bloom era that share their surnames with former Albion attackers.
I got line 2.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I got none of those however what I got out of your frankly mrvellous post is
the discovery of the spoiler feature but not the ability to use it like you did.

How did you do it?!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you click on the vertical line of three dots in the text options at the top of your post window (next to the wonky pacman like pallete for text colour) you get another row of options. The last of these looks like a bagel and if you hover over it, calls itself 'Inline Spoiler'. Simply select the text you want to blur and click on it. Alternatively you could just type ISPOILER in square brackets before the text and type it again after the text to be hidden, but with a forward slash between the open square bracket and the I.

Sorry for the long winded way of explaining. As you can see, if I say write it properly it automatically spoils.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You know you're old when you're angrily shouting F*** Off! at both teams this evening when asked about Jon Savage's book about a band that released the albums 'Closer' and 'Unknown Pleasures' and they give the answers 'Genesis' and 'Rush'! Thousands they've borrowed to go to university and they've learned nothing about the difference between post punk and prog!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here