Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch Airlines

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Good friends of mine lost their holiday last weekend due to XL going belly up. :censored:They've managed to book another hol leaving this sat to Cyprus, flying with Monarch, and a mutual friend says he has heard they are in trouble and were laying off staff last week! Can anyone confirm if this true, likely or a vicious rumour?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Monarch have been around for many years and are owned by Cosmos, think somebody is just stirring here.

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
My brother works for Monarch as an aircraft mechanic. As of 2 minutes ago, he'd heard nothing to substatiate this. Seems it's a rumour

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It is a rumour I believe - Monarch were doing 'rescue flights' for XL last week, I doubt they would have been so generous if they were about to go belly up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Monarch will be fine, financially backed by swiss investors who also own Cosmos, they are over 40 years old and have outlived almost all tour operators.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It is a rumour I believe - Monarch were doing 'rescue flights' for XL last week, I doubt they would have been so generous if they were about to go belly up.

I can assue you that Monarch are not being generous at all

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I doubt they would have been so generous if they were about to go belly up.

I think you'll find it's the CAA being "generous" by paying for the flights out of the ATOL fund built up by registered tour operators.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can assue you that Monarch are not being generous at all

Its interersting that the "Monarch" flight that is currently travelling between Gatwick and Orlando Sanford daily "rescuing" the holiday makers is actually a very old Lockheed Tristar which is flown by a portuguse aircrew (who speak little english). My sister came home on it, the air con had to be switched off as water was pouring out, when she boarded she said it was like Close Encounters of the Third Kind with dry ice coming out of the vents.

Safe to say when I picked her up from Gatwick on Sunday morning she was mighty glad to be home

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Similar to Zoom who I believe went down a month or so ago. They were using really old Aeroflot planes. If i'd know that when I booked to go to New York late last year i'd have spent the extra 30 odd quid and gone BA/Virgin/anyone else

From here to NY (especially from Gatwick), Continental are the way to go. :thumbsup:

scooter1

How soon is now?
From here to NY (especially from Gatwick), Continental are the way to go. :thumbsup:

Yep, i'd go along with that. A mate works for them and we used to get free upgrades which was very handy. Sadly last year I took the missus and it had to be on a budget, if i'd known what I got with Zoom I would have stretched my flights budget a bit more and shrunk the clothes budget - but there you go, hindsight and all that..........

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I'm flying to Tenerife on Friday with Monarch. Bloody hope it is just false rumours as I haven't had a proper holiday for nearly 3 years!!

Don't care if they go bust next week when I'm out there (will worry about getting home when the time comes) as long as its not before Friday :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just all rumours. Monarch are going nowhere (not in that sense).

Well, not until they fly me back from the Maldives in December!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Only in Portugal last week,when reading the local press Monarch were mentioned as a possible failure ? Again sited at the due to fuel costs. Yet fuel is doing down.:shrug:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
there was speculation of around 30 budget air line ops going bust in the next few months or so ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here