Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moments in music where you were a fly-on-the-wall

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Seeing the Who playing at Dunstable Civic Hall in 1969 - Keith Moon on drums, the band in their pomp - either just before or just after Woodstock. I'm too old to remember now.

My ears rang for a week afterwards.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Led Zeppelin at knebworth

Me too, did you go to the first or second date? I always said this was my first ever gig (a week after my 16th birthday) I had seen a local band before that, but couldn't remember their name. Thanks to Whitelion I now know it was Psycho Normal and his Stiff Victims, a forty year-old mystery solved.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sunday 26th February 1989 at the Escape Club, I was there for the Stone Roses first gig in Brighton. Unfortunately, they weren't.

The gig was cancelled and rearranged for the following Tuesday. Instead of the gig, we went on the pier and did all our money on the fruit machines. We weren't particularly bothered that we couldn't afford to go back on the Tuesday. We'd seen dozens of tinpot indie bands that never went anywhere. What made this lot any different?

I used to put on gigs at the Escape Club then on Sunday nights and DJ'ed at that Stone Roses gig on the Tuesday.
We never booked em on that particular Sunday although so i'm sure it wasn't cancelled although god forbid its 28 years ago so my memory might fail me... Another promoter of the time nabbed em and booked em for the Tuesday, probably on my recommendation as we often shared tips etc and he er, lost a fair bit of money as only about 40 or 50 people turned up.
The following night they played the Hacienda...

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Jimi Hendrix's last gig in UK

Emerson Lake and Palmer's first ever gig.

Both at I.O.W. festival where there were many more 'fly on the wall' events.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
WAY too many to mention but fly-on-the-wall-wise...

In the TOTP studio when The Jam did In The City. Weller's guitar was unplugged, Buckler's cymbal had a plastic cover put on it. Much of the surviving video features my bruv's pogoing head. Buckler gave us a cassette copy of the album later in the bar. Nice bloke.

In the OGWT studio when the Ramones played three songs in about four minutes, or possibly vice-versa.

Up on the roof of the BBC drinking beers with members of Meatloaf and (future) Sugarcubes.

Strange days indeed.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Met UB40 whilst they were recording Labour Of Love In Dub at The Townhouse Studios in Shepherds Bush & some of the lads needed some special herbs, probably for some kind of stew or suchlike. Anyway I helped out & got to hang out with them & Mikey Dread whilst they were recording the album. Had lots of out take / early mix cassettes of various tracks, don't know what ever happened to them though.

I did Music Press for a couple of years & have some toe curling memories but don't want to repeat such incidents on a public forum. I even have to ask myself "Did that really happen?" They were more like mad nights out with your mates than anything else.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Me too, did you go to the first or second date? I always said this was my first ever gig (a week after my 16th birthday) I had seen a local band before that, but couldn't remember their name. Thanks to Whitelion I now know it was Psycho Normal and his Stiff Victims, a forty year-old mystery solved.

I can't remember if it was the first or second. First I think. The line up during the day was different. We got Todd Rundgren, the other day had Keith Richards New Barbarians.

My first gig was The Jam in 1977. Technically, the first band I saw was the support The New Hearts. I always remember the lead singer (Ian Paige) going on about how much he loved Rod Stewart, and dedicated the next song to him, eloquently called "Flash ****!". Ah I do miss those days :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I know [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] was at Freddie's final gig as well.

As was I. Although we obviously didn't know that at the time :down:

And I was there at a Green Day gig at The Emirates when, as we were waiting for them to come on, Bohemian Rhapsody was played over the PA and 40,000 odd people decided to sing along. Still gives me goose bumps to this day.

[YT]iw4PS4HO2Dw[/YT]

Not my video btw, I was on the pitch just to the right and forward of the big white sound tent

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Were you at the Embassy Cinema in Western Road when they played their first Brighton gig? 1977? 'Punky Steve', all sulfated out, picking fights on the way in? That was an odd evening, but the music was crackin'

I was there. There was a massive fight in the audience, the OB were called and The Jam played There's a Riot Going On while the punch-up was broken up.

Anyone see The Buzzcocks play the Vault? It was just after Howard Devoto left ... it may well have been their first gig after.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
most memorable .... The Gun Club at Xstreems New Regent (West Street) early 80s

I'd never heard of them, but have loved them ever since
rest in peace JLP

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Muse first Glastonbury pyramid headline slot, headlined several times now, but that one was career defining for them, not to mention the drummers dad died backstage shortly afterwards.
Pearl Jam Shepherds bush joined by Ronnie Wood to play all along the watchtower
Adele @ Glasto was a pretty significant gig last summer
Pulp Brighton Centre, Jarvis released from custody in time for the gig following his on stage antics with Jacko
Killers @ the ZAP the day hot fuzz was released

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was there. There was a massive fight in the audience, the OB were called and The Jam played There's a Riot Going On while the punch-up was broken up.

Anyone see The Buzzcocks play the Vault? It was just after Howard Devoto left ... it may well have been their first gig after.

Ha! Yes, the troublemaker was a bloke called Steve (Montgomery, I think), who had (unusually for the times) flamboyant tatoos down his legs. His usual haunt was the Inn Place. That evening he started on a skinny punk lad with dark hair who stood his ground (that was in the queue on the way in). Yes, it all kicked off later inside.

I missed the Buzzcocks, but practically lived in the Vault. I probably saw you play there. I was reading Attila's book last year and note how the Molesters turned up all unpleasant one evening. Their guitarist, Paul, was older (late 20s) and fairly obnoxious (I had a jostle with him in the Alhambra one evening), and I knew one of the girls, Tracy, quite well (shared a flat with her for a while). Over the years she seems to have falen out with everyone she knew back then. She and Paul married, but it lasted only a few weeks. Tracy never moved out of the flat she shared with me and my other half of the time, even when she married Paul, and came back one night after having a fight with Paul when she found him in bed with someone. As you do :facepalm:

One of the odd things about those times was that I was probably at loads of gigs where Attila was in attendance (and you, I would imagine) but I don't remember him at all (and its not as if he's a shrinking violet - or maybe he was back then).

Do you remember Joby Visigoth? Lol! Take it easy :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of the odd things about those times was that I was probably at loads of gigs where Attila was in attendance (and you, I would imagine) but I don't remember him at all (and its not as if he's a shrinking violet - or maybe he was back then).

Do you remember Joby Visigoth? Lol! Take it easy :thumbsup:

Joby's band supported us - remember him well.

I did go to a few gigs with Attila but wasn't always with him - I was on my tod at the Buzzcocks gig for example. And he wasn't at The Jam either - maybe Weller's Tory views put him off.

But 1977/78 were great years: I'd probably go to three or four gigs a week - a couple of them at the Vault -but the Alhambra was great too. Remember a band called The Dandies? They were excellent and I thought they'd make it, but died a death.They'd have been great a few years later, in the New Romantic era, but had gone by then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Joby's band supported us - remember him well.

I did go to a few gigs with Attila but wasn't always with him - I was on my tod at the Buzzcocks gig for example. And he wasn't at The Jam either - maybe Weller's Tory views put him off.

But 1977/78 were great years: I'd probably go to three or four gigs a week - a couple of them at the Vault -but the Alhambra was great too. Remember a band called The Dandies? They were excellent and I thought they'd make it, but died a death.They'd have been great a few years later, in the New Romantic era, but had gone by then.

I LOVED the Dandies. The Black Country Rock cover was epic. Must have seen them a dozen times. I still have some of their fliers, and fanzines from that time. Yes, summer of 77 was amazing. Yes, multiple gigs every week (I have a list somewhere - saddo). Another fave of mine, who I saw many times, was Wrist Action. Their theme song, with legendary rhyming lyrics: 'If you wanna get a piece of the action, get yourself some wrist action'. :laugh: Remember the perennial support at the Alhambra: Blues Jim? Polly put the kettle on? Always having massive rows with hecklers - once demanding that one mouthy lad get on stage and do better. :bowdown: I saw him busking on George Street when I was on the way to a late season game at the Goldstone, many years later (probably 96). Yes, 77 was a great year :rock:punk::cheers:

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I can't remember if it was the first or second. First I think. The line up during the day was different. We got Todd Rundgren, the other day had Keith Richards New Barbarians.

My first gig was The Jam in 1977. Technically, the first band I saw was the support The New Hearts. I always remember the lead singer (Ian Paige) going on about how much he loved Rod Stewart, and dedicated the next song to him, eloquently called "Flash ****!". Ah I do miss those days :)

You were at the first one, Todd Rungren played both gigs. You had Fairport Convention, we had Chas and Dave.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I used to put on gigs at the Escape Club then on Sunday nights and DJ'ed at that Stone Roses gig on the Tuesday.
We never booked em on that particular Sunday although so i'm sure it wasn't cancelled although god forbid its 28 years ago so my memory might fail me... Another promoter of the time nabbed em and booked em for the Tuesday, probably on my recommendation as we often shared tips etc and he er, lost a fair bit of money as only about 40 or 50 people turned up.
The following night they played the Hacienda...

I don't know if it was still going under the 'Apple Orchard' banner by 1989. We used to go to gigs every Sunday and saw some really good people. Its possible that we were told that there is no gig tonight, but come back on Tuesday, but I'm fairly certain we went expecting to see the Roses that night, perhaps the other promoter had a reschedule. We were quite excited because the Sunday night DJ, (whoever that was) had been playing Made of Stone for quite a while. That and 'Sensitive', by the Field Mice were the songs that we always had to dance to. Thanks for your efforts all those years ago Jem. I think I have said on this board before that I decided to go and see the Pixies at the Top Rank on the advice of 'Turn It Up' and have been grateful ever since.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
You were at the first one, Todd Rungren played both gigs. You had Fairport Convention, we had Chas and Dave.

Ah yes, I think I slept through Fairport Convention.

We did have Chas and Dave through, as opening act

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here