Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Molineux

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Hadn’t been there for many years but I’ve got to say I really didn’t warm to the place.

I know they want to rebuild, again, but the stands were all too far away from the pitch, home fans above the away fans is asking for trouble (maybe not so much against Albion) the seats were suitable for a child to squeeze into but no more, that corridor under the away fans was so squashed and claustrophobic not to mention dangerous in plenty of situations (I can see why they put the away fans in there!), four (well 3) big open corners did nothing for the atmosphere although I must say their South Bank made a decent noise, all the brickwork looked cheap and nasty ….

it also made me laugh with their slogans dotted around. They used to have one saying ‘out of the darkness cometh light’ now replaced by ‘the strength of the wolf is in the pack’ which I just about get. The one that made me laugh was ‘our loving devotion guides our lifelong dream’ which just looked so naff, then I realised the first letters spelt out ‘old gold’ (though don’t they play in a sort of vomit yellow?), to which surely a better phrase would have been ‘We Are Never Knowingly Ever Really Shocking’? I might write in and suggest it!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Last time I went was in 1990 - bizarrely enough I was in the away end for a 3-2 Blackburn win and it's a lot better now than it was then! Back then, the only stand was what is now the Steve Bull stand, and the south bank was a big terrace that wasn't in line with the pitch! The rest of the ground was derelict.

I didn't mind it on Saturday - yes it's a bit windswept with loads of room for expansion (esp the corners) - but it's a decent 4 stand old-school ground. We were in the boxes, and they were behind glass (which I'm not a fan of) and the food was bang average, but over all I thought it was a decent experience.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hadn’t been there for many years but I’ve got to say I really didn’t warm to the place.

I know they want to rebuild, again, but the stands were all too far away from the pitch, home fans above the away fans is asking for trouble (maybe not so much against Albion) the seats were suitable for a child to squeeze into but no more, that corridor under the away fans was so squashed and claustrophobic not to mention dangerous in plenty of situations (I can see why they put the away fans in there!), four (well 3) big open corners did nothing for the atmosphere although I must say their South Bank made a decent noise, all the brickwork looked cheap and nasty ….

it also made me laugh with their slogans dotted around. They used to have one saying ‘out of the darkness cometh light’ now replaced by ‘the strength of the wolf is in the pack’ which I just about get. The one that made me laugh was ‘our loving devotion guides our lifelong dream’ which just looked so naff, then I realised the first letters spelt out ‘old gold’ (though don’t they play in a sort of vomit yellow?), to which surely a better phrase would have been ‘We Are Never Knowingly Ever Really Shocking’? I might write in and suggest it!
I distinctly remember @Bozza posting on NSC after our first visit to mollynew, following our tumble down the divisions, in the early noughties and his awe at the noisy PA, and the general magnificence.

My, how times have changed :ROFLMAO:

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I thought it was better than Old Trafford, Anfield and Villa. Great view on the halfway line. All Police and stewards very helpful. Security on all pubs in town and only one away friendly pub.
Loads of cheap parking.
Obviously something wrong with the grass as they keep tripping over it and hurting themselves.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In my opinion it is much better place to visit than it was back in the early 90s and there were only two sides to it. I thought the atmosphere was decent yesterday which both sets of fans contributed to. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout out to the Masala Fries that I purchased in the fanzone, absolutely outstanding. The best chips I have ever had at the football.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The original idea was to move the pitch across to the Away Stand. They built that stand behind the old one. They did move the pitch for one season but moved it back to where it is now. The reason given was at the time behind the goal was open terrace and behind that a church. The church steeple was directly in line with the centre of the goal, but obviously wasn't when they moved the pitch. The team blamed this for a poor season.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
In my opinion it is much better place to visit than it was back in the early 90s and there were only two sides to it. I thought the atmosphere was decent yesterday which both sets of fans contributed to. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout out to the Masala Fries that I purchased in the fanzone, absolutely outstanding. The best chips I have ever had at the football.
Yes, in fact the first couple of times I went were in the 80s, only ever in the away end, and it was a real **** hole then. No doubt it’s improved, I just think for the money spent I didn’t warm to the ‘final’ version, which is probably why they plan to knock it all down and start again! The fact that Fosun have run out of money makes you wonder if those plans will now be put on hold though.

My girlfriend when we went down to Amex for Forest game said that our seats gave her just enough leg room. (She has long legs for a 5ft 7 inch tall lady). I chuckled at her and said "wait till you go to other grounds, you'll find leg room much more restricted" bearing in mind we were going to Wolves. She said on Saturday "blimey, I see what you mean now"🤣🤣

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The comedy open air stand in one of the corners where I doubt you could see all of the pitch and would have got soaked if it rained is possibly the worse designed thing I've seen at any ground anywhere. That includes Withdean.

It's tough getting any atmosphere going in that spread across that away stand. We all know the drill by now, try and get a ticket at the back if you want to sing, get a ticket at the front if you have dodgy knees. The set up they have just mixes everyone up which is no good for anyone. Equally, not sure I'd want a Corporate box as a Home fan above the away end. Also seeing all the home fans sat down in the safe standing seats made me chuckle.

What I really hate about Wolves away though is that pub we all end up. Soul destroying shit hole.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son (who has been to Aston Villa away) called it a "crap Villa Park". The worst thing they've done is that open, Withdeanesque stand in the corner. No atmosphere or cover and I imagine an awful view. No wonder it was half full. It must be the worst stand in the division. Surprised they didn't put us there......

However, the atmosphere there is great. Considering they're awful and get 10,000 fewer than Villa they make much more noise.

All in all it's a lot better than the last time I was there when we beat then 4-2 (and Palace lost 9-0 the same night) and, in my book, a pretty good day out to a proper football ground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The comedy open air stand in one of the corners where I doubt you could see all of the pitch and would have got soaked if it rained is possibly the worse designed thing I've seen at any ground anywhere. That includes Withdean.

It's tough getting any atmosphere going in that spread across that away stand. We all know the drill by now, try and get a ticket at the back if you want to sing, get a ticket at the front if you have dodgy knees. The set up they have just mixes everyone up which is no good for anyone. Equally, not sure I'd want a Corporate box as a Home fan above the away end. Also seeing all the home fans sat down in the safe standing seats made me chuckle.

What I really hate about Wolves away though is that pub we all end up. Soul destroying shit hole.
You mean the Premier Inn bar? :lolol:

ST03 arrived at MIDDAY - before the away coach park stewards. Straight up to the bar for the first pint but by the time another couple of coaches had arrived it was three deep. After one other queue we decided to take a very slow walk to a burger van and then on to the concourse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I distinctly remember @Bozza posting on NSC after our first visit to mollynew, following our tumble down the divisions, in the early noughties and his awe at the noisy PA, and the general magnificence.

My, how times have changed :ROFLMAO:
Brighton fans made them laugh referring to their 'hole in your telly'. referring to a blank square in the middle of their large screen.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My son (who has been to Aston Villa away) called it a "crap Villa Park". The worst thing they've done is that open, Withdeanesque stand in the corner. No atmosphere or cover and I imagine an awful view. No wonder it was half full. It must be the worst stand in the division. Surprised they didn't put us there......

However, the atmosphere there is great. Considering they're awful and get 10,000 fewer than Villa they make much more noise.

All in all it's a lot better than the last time I was there when we beat then 4-2 (and Palace lost 9-0 the same night) and, in my book, a pretty good day out to a proper football ground.

I agree with the atmosphere bit from a home point of view as well. They do make an effort to get behind the team and it's miles ahead of Leicester or Villa in terms of that. I do prefer being in the corner though where we used to be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree with the atmosphere bit from a home point of view as well. They do make an effort to get behind the team and it's miles ahead of Leicester or Villa in terms of that. I do prefer being in the corner though where we used to be.
Yeah I meant home. The long, shallow away end is deliberately used to kill the away team's atmosphere IMO. Probably sang less there than I have anywhere else.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I thought that taking up an entire stand all the way along the front was going to be loud. Last time there, 2016/7, it was great. But seemed the away fans couldn't get together with a song being so spread out. Thought home fans done well with volume. Lots of police around plus helicopter on our arrival. Back at the Amex by 9:00 with traffic free motorways. Balti Pie and Doombar was acceptable. Noticed the south stand had seats that seemed to be beyond the touchline.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You mean the Premier Inn bar? :lolol:

ST03 arrived at MIDDAY - before the away coach park stewards. Straight up to the bar for the first pint but by the time another couple of coaches had arrived it was three deep. After one other queue we decided to take a very slow walk to a burger van and then on to the concourse.

I got there nice and early and went to Nando's with my lad for lunch. Perfect. We then went down to the Premier Inn bar to meet a mate which was horrednously packed. I went inside, up the stairs, past the kids Vaping and made my way to the bog. Urinal 1 had been identified as leaking, so the Einstein who worked there had put a bucket underneath that was naturally full and pissing water all over the floor. I then queued for the shittest pint of Madri i've ever drank, lashed half of it in the flowerbed in disgust and went to the ground. The Carling in the concourse by contrast was a delight. That really is saying something.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I got there nice and early and went to Nando's with my lad for lunch. Perfect. We then went down to the Premier Inn bar to meet a mate which was horrednously packed. I went inside, up the stairs, past the kids Vaping and made my way to the bog. Urinal 1 had been identified as leaking, so the Einstein who worked there had put a bucket underneath that was naturally full and pissing water all over the floor. I then queued for the shittest pint of Madri i've ever drank, lashed half of it in the flowerbed in disgust and went to the ground. The Carling in the concourse by contrast was a delight. That really is saying something.
Having had both a piss and a Madri I concur. Lots of kids lined up for the traps too, despite trap one smelling like a decomposing tramp who'd spent the last year living down a sewer.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
Always find the Wolves fans to be very friendly and particularly grateful to the one who paid for my parking online as the app wouldn’t load properly for me. I did find it strange that the manager travelled to the ground on a different coach to the players and that the players went behind the other coach to avoid the waiting fans when they arrived. Not bothered for myself but felt sorry for the young fans who had been waiting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here