"Moldova v. England"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
his pass completion isnt what it should be at times and he isnt blessed with pace. he's there because he's tactically astute, reading the game and creating space for others, covers holes, and can play just about anywhere you ask him to other than goal and upfront. he'd probably have a go there if you asked. in other words utility and a grafter, so expect him to be a permenant fixture in Hodgeson's teams.

anyway, good game for Cleverly and Oxlade.

The best you can come up with is he creates space for others and covers holes?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Don't underestimate his value to the team. He is a facilitator, he does his work so that our better ball players can do theirs. I don't think we need him, personally, but he does bring a work ethic and puts in a massive shift for the team.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't underestimate his value to the team. He is a facilitator, he does his work so that our better ball players can do theirs. I don't think we need him, personally, but he does bring a work ethic and puts in a massive shift for the team.

Given none of the England players can keep the ball or outwit decent opposition I guess "qualities" like massive shifts are the best we can hope for.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find myself hoping that the presence of Lampard & Gerrard- both persistent failures at international level- was merely a sign of injuries to other players, and not the way Hodgson hopes to get to Brazil & beyond.

At 34 & 32 respectively, it's hardly the way forward. Granted, Pirlo was getting on a bit for Italy, but he's far better than either of ours, and had younger players around him. Please let there be some decent youngsters coming through in these positions.

Jack Wilshere, perhaps, once he gets over his mysterious, ahem, injury problems?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I find myself hoping that the presence of Lampard & Gerrard- both persistent failures at international level- was merely a sign of injuries to other players, and not the way Hodgson hopes to get to Brazil & beyond.

At 34 & 32 respectively, it's hardly the way forward. Granted, Pirlo was getting on a bit for Italy, but he's far better than either of ours, and had younger players around him. Please let there be some decent youngsters coming through in these positions.

Jack Wilshere, perhaps, once he gets over his mysterious, ahem, injury problems?

Indeed, really hoped Rodwell was going to be involved in some way, not sure if he picked up an injury, or just wasn't picked

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you dont think a team benefits from such a player? how well do you think a team of 10 Messi's would fair? Milner is not the greatest player but you need a couple of players like that to give balance to the more attacking minded players. others in the team are justs a guilty of poor possession and dont seem to get picked out for it indivdually.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lampard still can't pass the ball along the floor, he was stil playing those weird lofted passes to people less than ten yards away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you dont think a team benefits from such a player? how well do you think a team of 10 Messi's would fair? Milner is not the greatest player but you need a couple of players like that to give balance to the more attacking minded players. others in the team are justs a guilty of poor possession and dont seem to get picked out for it indivdually.

Would the team benefit from a player which creates space and covers holes OR can hold and pass the ball and create space and cover holes? This is the question. Milner is very very very limited at best. Some might say crap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Given none of the England players can keep the ball or outwit decent opposition I guess "qualities" like massive shifts are the best we can hope for.

It's a minimum standard. I wouldn't have him in the team either, especially against teams like Moldova. If I were going to play him, it would be in the centre of midfield but there's absolutely no need for him in there. He's a good squad player but I think it's time we went back to having a proper right winger playing there instead. It's just a shame we don't have a world class option there, just Theo Walcott.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So So pointless, No wonder people are getting bored of internationals (including the players) they need to stop these pointless matches and cut down that trips to Moldova etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So So pointless, No wonder people are getting bored of internationals (including the players) they need to stop these pointless matches and cut down that trips to Moldova etc.

What do you propose then?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I think it's time we went back to having a proper right winger playing there instead. It's just a shame we don't have a world class option there, just Theo Walcott.

Lennon would be there if fit. no not world class but a very decent winger with a better cross than Walcott. he should be reserved as an impact sub upfront.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What do you propose then?

Force Russia to take back the countries that broke away...

Or have premlims.

Us and the South American group are the only area's that dont have them, there is no point of Moldova, Andorra, San Marino, Luxemburg, Cyprus, Malta, Georgia, Scotland etc being in the mix up.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

How on earth can you describe Frank Lampard as a "persistent failure at international level". He has been an outstanding player for England over the years. The problem is with the managers who persist in giving Gerrard a game to the detriment of Frank's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports