Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He thinks they'll spend it. He's a smart guy, not usually prone to irrational moments of tub thumping folly. We'll see. I'm happy for Liverpool to spend 200m+ so long as none of it's on Caicedo.
It’s possible but would be entirely against the grain of their model under FSG. They made a big show about “selling to buy” in the summer, and that the new recruitment model was about a mixture of ready made and prospects. Whilst they did spunk a load of cash on Nunez, they’ve put guys like Elliott and Bajetic straight into the first XI.

None of their players really are saleable assets of high value due to age and demand. Their only transfer “income” is going to be from wages being saved on expensive aging players like Firmino, Milner, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a few others. The kind of players never to command a fee again in their careers.

In fact, the only players they have worth big money are the only players they’re practically guaranteed not to sell - Alisson, Trent Alexander Arnold, Diaz if he kicks on.

It would be a sea change for their transfer policy - possible but they need a hell of a lot more than just two players to rebuild their squad. £200m on two of them doesn’t leave much for the other five/six they have on the way out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What marvellous times these are to be an Albion supporter, I thought on Saturday afternoon after my 4th mini bottle of vin rouge, watching Caicedo boss the game at will. It doesn't get much better than this, does it?
I admire the way he can turn away from two pressing opponents into what seemed a huge amount of space. Declan Rice saying he just wanted of the pitch 😂
Without a doubt Caceido is the best 6/8 midfielder in the PL.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It’s possible but would be entirely against the grain of their model under FSG. They made a big show about “selling to buy” in the summer, and that the new recruitment model was about a mixture of ready made and prospects. Whilst they did spunk a load of cash on Nunez, they’ve put guys like Elliott and Bajetic straight into the first XI.

None of their players really are saleable assets of high value due to age and demand. Their only transfer “income” is going to be from wages being saved on expensive aging players like Firmino, Milner, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a few others. The kind of players never to command a fee again in their careers.

In fact, the only players they have worth big money are the only players they’re practically guaranteed not to sell - Alisson, Trent Alexander Arnold, Diaz if he kicks on.

It would be a sea change for their transfer policy - possible but they need a hell of a lot more than just two players to rebuild their squad. £200m on two of them doesn’t leave much for the other five/six they have on the way out.
I thought it was unlikely but he's the Liverpool fan and devoursinfo on them. I think all your points make sense and agree it seems unliklely they'd spend 200m on two players but football often makes no sense. Maybe they really do want out and think they can get more for the club if they splurge now and leave a top quality squad?

As long as Caicedo is still with us in September I"m not too bothered what they do! Unless they nab Ally Mac...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve just told an annoying Arsenal fan that he’s too good for them and to remember he is Spanish speaking….

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

And Mo Salad, of course!

I thought Liverpool were up for sale? I know there's quite a bit of that sort of action at the moment, but I'm sure I read something a couple of months ago about FSG wanting out. I could look it up, I guess, but posting on here when I've already started is more fun :lol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And Mo Salad, of course!

I thought Liverpool were up for sale? I know there's quite a bit of that sort of action at the moment, but I'm sure I read something a couple of months ago about FSG wanting out. I could look it up, I guess, but posting on here when I've already started is more fun :lol:
They’re trying to sell, allegedly, but not wanting to seem too desperate so playing silly buggers basically

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand that it must seem mad, because potentially he's tying himself to the club. But the Albion have stated they won't stand in a players way, and have used this tactic with other players like Ben White, who they were then able to sell for a big fee.

If the club came to an agreement to sell him in the summer, it does benefit Caicedo because he earns more money in the immediate future in terms of wages etc, and then earns more money from the transfer fee because they club can demand a higher fee.

My heart would love to think its a bit of soul searching as you say. But my head says this a tactic the club have used before to the benefit of everyone but the buying club.
He gets more money (eg quadrupling his wages) in the short-term and (if it is the case that there is no release clause in the contract) potentially still gets a big summer move if the right club and offer comes in?

I just can't see it. I can't see Tony sanctioning a new 5 year contract with a view that it will be broken in 4-5 months time. Caicedo's current contract is strong enough as we saw in January to attract a significant valuation if we still decided to sell in the summer. We could have easily offered Moises a bonus to top up his salary to keep him happy until then without it needing to be a new contract.

This is a statement of ambition, it would be a weakening of the club's stance on contracts if we broke it within a few months. If we tell the world of football that we sell players 4 months after signing 5 year contracts - what do you think that says to football about what our contracts stand for?

January told football that we won't be bullied into transfers we don't want to sanction. I can't see the club with this headline grabbing 5 year deal making a mockery of it by the summer.

I agree with @phoenix, this is a statement deal, to everyone, to the squad, to us, to other clubs. Feels like it is a moment to take our ambition up a notch. Caicedo has been made the top player in the club, probably a hefty signing on fee we don't hear about too. All the other players, stick around if you want to continue your career development.

I could be talking out of my rear, but I have a feeling we're not going to see any of our main players leave this summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I just can't see it. I can't see Tony sanctioning a new 5 year contract with a view that it will be broken in 4-5 months time. Caicedo's current contract is strong enough as we saw in January to attract a significant valuation if we still decided to sell in the summer. We could have easily offered Moises a bonus to top up his salary to keep him happy until then without it needing to be a new contract.

This is a statement of ambition, it would be a weakening of the club's stance on contracts if we broke it within a few months. If we tell the world of football that we sell players 4 months after signing 5 year contracts - what do you think that says to football about what our contracts stand for?

January told football that we won't be bullied into transfers we don't want to sanction. I can't see the club with this headline grabbing 5 year deal making a mockery of it by the summer.

I agree with @phoenix, this is a statement deal, to everyone, to the squad, to us, to other clubs. Feels like it is a moment to take our ambition up a notch. Caicedo has been made the top player in the club, probably a hefty signing on fee we don't hear about too. All the other players, stick around if you want to continue your career development.

I could be talking out of my rear, but I have a feeling we're not going to see any of our main players leave this summer.
That is a Bold statement – in every sense!

I'd love it to be correct and it might well be the thinking within the hierachy. But if silly bids come in (such as Cucurella to Chelsea), I can't see the club saying no. It might not be the intention to sell now – and I know it's a cliché – but every player has their price. As always, I'll get excited about new players coming in during the summer window, regardless of anyone leaving or not...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not entirely true......Potter eased him in but for a while he just wasn't good enough and it took him time to adjust

Caicedo hit the ground running very early (y)
I think the point is that Caicedo spent about 9 or 10 Premier League games on the bench without getting on the pitch when he was recalled from his loan spell last season. Before his start in the 2-1 win at Arsenal his only other appearance had been off the bench in the FA Cup against Spurs. He did however hit the ground running once given the chance, which prompted Potter to say after a few weeks that he should have given him a chance earlier.

Mac Allister by comparison didn't actually have to wait that long to be involved. He was recalled from loan in the January 2020 window but was actually away taking part in the Olympic Games qualifiers for Argentina. When he arrived back around Feb 10th he didn't make the first two games but was then a used sub in the game against Wolves. He then got a couple of mins off the bench in the first game after the restart against Arsenal, before making his full debut against Leicester in the next match. He actually played some part in every game after the restart except the Man City home game. His introduction in terms of time waited after joining the squad was a lot quicker than Moises.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If I had to guess I would say there is a release clause in the contract, of circa £100m.

If someone did meet that valuation then he would effectively be leaving with the Club's consent and whilst the contract would end, it wouldn't be broken.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I really really hope that is the case. Its quite staggering just how good he is, and I would love him to see out this new contract.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Maybe the ambition is already shifting due to RdeZ who seems to be openly targeting CL football...........and this is a very significant and public statement supporting him.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
If I had to guess I would say there is a release clause in the contract, of circa £100m.

If someone did meet that valuation then he would effectively be leaving with the Club's consent and whilst the contract would end, it wouldn't be broken.
I have been reliably informed that there is a release clause but it is for just over all the tea in China, which must be handed over the corpse of Tony Bloom.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't help but think the club have changed their ideals since RDZ turned up, you got David Weir saying he wants us to be a destination club Paul Barber taking the piss out of Chelsea telling them they will never get our manager and little signs like Caicedo getting a new contract with no doubt a new pay rise. New contract for Mac new etc.I think there is surprise in how good we actually are. I guess the summer transfer window will tell all.

I'd be amazed if they hadn't. RdZ is demanding, and is not going to be here for a long time, so he's in a fine position to make demands of TB et al, and to have them realised.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can't help but think the club have changed their ideals since RDZ turned up, you got David Weir saying he wants us to be a destination club Paul Barber taking the piss out of Chelsea telling them they will never get our manager and little signs like Caicedo getting a new contract with no doubt a new pay rise. New contract for Mac new etc.I think there is surprise in how good we actually are. I guess the summer transfer window will tell all.

I'd be amazed if they hadn't. RdZ is demanding, and is not going to be here for a long time, so he's in a fine position to make demands of TB et al, and to have them realised.
Two months ago, RDZ said that every club in the Premier League except his had money to use in the transfer window.

The reason why Brighton is a club with fairly low wages and fairly low transfer spendings isn't because Tony Bloom have some sort of ideological issue with paying good money for good players, but because he and the club simply does not have the financial muscles to do it... as Paul Barber and others have said multiple times.

This financial reality doesn't change because Roberto De Zerbi allegedly "demands it". The only way this financial reality changes is through a change of owner or through qualifying for the Champions League.

If the latter can be done, the best players may stay longer. As long as it isn't the case, Brighton will be selling the biggest talents.

It is quite remarkable that people are looking at a club which has a somewhat sustainable model (which is another key word frequently mentioned by Tony & co) which has also brought good results for more than a decade... and believing the club will now "change ideals" : keeping the best players, or as it is also known; paying the same money as the top clubs and having Tony pay up upwards of £100m per year in losses since the club is no longer selling players and no signing new contracts with world class players apparently to keep them around for the rest of their careers.

My gut feeling is that the club, with or without Roberto De Zerbi, will keep doing what has done it very successful in recent years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two months ago, RDZ said that every club in the Premier League except his had money to use in the transfer window.

The reason why Brighton is a club with fairly low wages and fairly low transfer spendings isn't because Tony Bloom have some sort of ideological issue with paying good money for good players, but because he and the club simply does not have the financial muscles to do it... as Paul Barber and others have said multiple times.

This financial reality doesn't change because Roberto De Zerbi allegedly "demands it". The only way this financial reality changes is through a change of owner or through qualifying for the Champions League.

If the latter can be done, the best players may stay longer. As long as it isn't the case, Brighton will be selling the biggest talents.

It is quite remarkable that people are looking at a club which has a somewhat sustainable model (which is another key word frequently mentioned by Tony & co) which has also brought good results for more than a decade... and believing the club will now "change ideals" : keeping the best players, or as it is also known; paying the same money as the top clubs and having Tony pay up upwards of £100m per year in losses since the club is no longer selling players and no signing new contracts with world class players apparently to keep them around for the rest of their careers.

My gut feeling is that the club, with or without Roberto De Zerbi, will keep doing what has done it very successful in recent years.
Well, my gut feeling is that there will be a lot of expenditure in the summer transfer window.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Absolutely correct.
We will try and keep players and managers and attempt to get them to sign long term contracts because that increases the value to us. We will never be able to complete with the Newcastle’s, City’s Madrid’s and Barcelona’s of this football world.
BUT
As long as the recruitment model works and doesn’t have too many direct competitors, we will continue to get massive fees for players that we have brought in for next to nothing financially.
And that will mean a hungry squad that turns over every couple of years
Unlike the likes of Liverpool who became stale this season.
It’s an exciting time, but we shouldn’t try and kid ourselves as fans that the likes of Caicedo, MacAllister and Mitoma will be here long term.
I think there will be huge bids and a bidding war for those three in the summer which can only be good for us a club.
We almost can’t lose. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I really really hope that is the case. Its quite staggering just how good he is, and I would love him to see out this new contract.
This all day long. On Saturday, I said to the bloke in front that my MOM was Solly March, he raised his eyebrows and said 'What about Caicedo?' My reply was that it is simply unfair on the other players to include Caicedo as pretty much every week he is man of the match by a long chalk. Caicedo is a phenomenon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here