Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Modern football fans.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I guess that's my point though. It's not those fans that are forcing it down our throats is it? It's the high price to attend a match combined with the over-exposure on TV and reliance on Corporate sponsorship thats moved it away from the working class, not people with selfie sticks and iPads.

No it's a very deliberate strategy to move the game away from us pesky commoners with our aggressive manners and shallow pockets. A strategy which is probably only a generation or two from succeeding.

el punal

I definitely agree that football has lost part of it's tribal soul and football has become a more sanitised, touristy spectator sport and whilst I find the lack of fan camerarderie, I think it's also the case that fans have changed. Going to the football is now a "nice day out", rather than the indulgence of a passion.

People don't want to fight, or wind up other fans, or stand up and sing for 90 minutes. Especially at the Amex, people just want to sit down quietly with their kids and enjoy a game of football. Maybe have a pie, take a family selfie and politely leave on 88 minutes to beat the traffic. I'm not saying that I like that per se. Atmosphere's are certainly not as vociferous in support as they were, and supporting your club seems to be more about merchandise than actual support, but as things go I would happily have all of these things as standard if it meant the price of the game went down for fans. Sadly, I think we're stuck with both.

Methinks you're viewing things through rose tinted specs! I remember many a day down at the Goldstone that was dull, souless and boring. If the football is entertaining and exciting the fans respond be it now or 30 years ago.

Tribal and vociferous? Didn't think the Palace games were all love and sweetness and light a couple of years ago. And, did you go to Craven Cottage at the end of December? When the fans and the team were as one, the Putney End stand bouncing - literally, as 'Ring of Fire' went on through the whole ninety minutes.

As for the merchandise, blimey, if half the stuff was available back in the 60s and 70s I would have snaffled it. But you're right, football has changed - you say "it's a nice day out", of course it is and I enjoy every minute of it, probably helps that in this day and age you're unlikely to get a kicking on the way to the station or run the risk of avoiding a brick or bottle whizzing towards you.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just moving the topic slightly one of the things I have moaned about in the past with modern fans is this constant need for 'progress', i.e. that every season the club should do better than it did in the last. (I'm talking football fans in general here, not just Brighton). Occasionally a season of consolidation or re-building can be accepted (with barely disguised impatience) but next season there had better be progress or heads must roll. I used to think that this was a bit stupid, there can't be progress every season for every club and people just have to accept the rough with the smooth. In the old days no one cared much about progress, you went to the match, paid the admission with the coins in your pocket, and if your team won, great. The divisions in those days were almost like school Years, i.e. the people who started off two years above you would always be two years above you.

So I used to roll my eyes when I'd hear fans saying about their team: "Our target must be to get promoted / consolidate in the prem / qualify for the champions league / win the title" as they were simply setting themselves up to be bitterly disappointed as that level of progress simply can't be done. However I've recanted slightly from that position. Given the immense amount of money fans invest in their teams (via the extortionate prices for tickets, food, merchandise, etc) - yes they have an understandable right to demand success, or at least an enjoyable 'product'.

NOTE: And yes, I'm aware those of you who are die-hard fans will disagree and think that everybody should pay whatever and attend regardless.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I definitely agree that football has lost part of it's tribal soul and football has become a more sanitised, touristy spectator sport and whilst I find the lack of fan camerarderie, I think it's also the case that fans have changed. Going to the football is now a "nice day out", rather than the indulgence of a passion.

People don't want to fight, or wind up other fans, or stand up and sing for 90 minutes. Especially at the Amex, people just want to sit down quietly with their kids and enjoy a game of football. Maybe have a pie, take a family selfie and politely leave on 88 minutes to beat the traffic. I'm not saying that I like that per se. Atmosphere's are certainly not as vociferous in support as they were, and supporting your club seems to be more about merchandise than actual support, but as things go I would happily have all of these things as standard if it meant the price of the game went down for fans. Sadly, I think we're stuck with both.

Fair points all, but I think you are over generalising a bit.

There is still passion in football grounds, albeit at a lower level which I think is a reasonable balance to allow families to attend. The cost is too high but families still attend which shows that people are prepared to pay up to indulge what remains a passion. I've been going to the Withdean and Amex with my son since he was small and he is now a passionate Albion fan - I really don't think I would have been doing that in the 70s.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fair points all, but I think you are over generalising a bit.

There is still passion in football grounds, albeit at a lower level which I think is a reasonable balance to allow families to attend. The cost is too high but families still attend which shows that people are prepared to pay up to indulge what remains a passion. I've been going to the Withdean and Amex with my son since he was small and he is now a passionate Albion fan - I really don't think I would have been doing that in the 70s.

On your last point, about the 70s , why not?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've been going to the Withdean and Amex with my son since he was small and he is now a passionate Albion fan - I really don't think I would have been doing that in the 70s.

Daft thing to say, how the hell do you think those of who started attending in the 70's all started?...... I was taken by my Grandfather in 74, there were thousands of kids.......we didn't all just start going at the age of 18.....think on mate, think on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Daft thing to say, how the hell do you think those of who started attending in the 70's all started?...... I was taken by my Grandfather in 74, there were thousands of kids.......we didn't all just start going at the age of 18.....think on mate, think on.

I was thinking the same as my father took me to The Goldstone in the early 70s, he also took me to some London away matches and other teams matches around the country.
Didn't come to any harm and I started going to matches with my mates when I was about 14.

As a kid I remember the Goldstone being pretty safe in the 70s.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
OK OK.

The point I was trying to make is that football grounds in the 70s and 80s were far less conducive to a family environment than today. Maybe I am in a minority, but when I went with my mates, I saw running battles with police, heard racist chants (Clyde Best anyone?), saw pitch invasions, got squashed on terraces as fans surged forward......

The Goldstone may have been perfectly safe, but having seen what I did at grounds in my youth, I would've thought twice about taking my kids had it been the same today.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Goldstone may have been perfectly safe, but having seen what I did at grounds in my youth, I would've thought twice about taking my kids had it been the same today.

Not a pop at you in particular LWS, but isn't that just another example of today's overly protective world that those in authority would like us to believe is so essential to modern life?

Kids need to learn risk assessment, make choices, be boisterous, possibly overstep the mark on occasion, and then get knocked back. A childhood without any of these is not only bland but possibly detrimental to their education.

A comment on modern society, not the OP.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It BAFFLES me as well.

Live at let live.

image.jpg

It baffles me why people like you are baffled that people like me are baffled by this sort of thing

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
View attachment 64119

It baffles me why people like you are baffled that people like me are baffled by this sort of thing

Without wishing to appear racist or making too many assumptions, but it is entirely possible that all of the group pictured in that photo are [rich] tourists who are attending the one and only English game they are ever likely to attend to support one or other of the teams that are so distant and unconnected to them that they are merely names on the screen as "their team's" matches are beamed around the world.

In those circumstances I don't think its in any way baffling or indeed, mildly surprising, that they have over-indulged in merchandise and momentos of the event/day out/once-in-a-lifetime experience/whatever you want to call it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
View attachment 64119

I'm liking the mighty #DEMAND plastered on the side of Anfield - right next to Raheem Stirling, who won't sign a contract extention as his #DEMANDS are not being met.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why do you care what happens at Anfield?

I was using the photo as an example, as the two teams are huge rivals.
Imagine seeing a half Brighton half Palace scarf.

I do feel a bit sorry for genuine Liverpool fans that are locals and now priced out of going to Anfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here