Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Modern Day Music Festivals - too much filler?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Regarding "filler acts" at festivals & concerts, I think its more to do with which bands management company has the most clout/ influence/is friends with the promoters? Whether that band is set for fame and multi million pound contracts or destined to be utter shite with a regular slot at The Rose & Crown on a Friday Night does't really count for much.

Talking of dodgy support acts. I'm planning to see Neil Young at Hyde Park tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. One of the supports is Tom Odell. I'm not looking forward to that. :(

Hyde Park for The Libertines was horrendously organised, the sound was quite poor as mentioned previously and the stage isn't very high.

For me the problem with festivals is that lots of them pay so much for the headliners. For example, Reading must have spunked lots of money on Arctic Monkeys. Saying that, I'll be seeing some of the lesser known bands anyway, so I'm pleased in that aspect.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Ali_rrr
Hyde Park for The Libertines was horrendously organised, the sound was quite poor as mentioned previously and the stage isn't very high.

For me the problem with festivals is that lots of them pay so much for the headliners. For example, Reading must have spunked lots of money on Arctic Monkeys. Saying that, I'll be seeing some of the lesser known bands anyway, so I'm pleased in that aspect.

I know people who were there and all said it was a horrible experience. The potential for people to get seriously injured or worse was very high thanks to the poor organisation plus a fair few idiots pushing in the crowd.

Having both the Libertines and the Pogues on the same bill was probably an event that would have been given short odds by bookmakers a few years ago. Both have frontmen that have no right to be alive given their lifestyles!

ants4t
Dont worry, Hyde Park has terrible sound and an audience that is filled with people that like to chat loudly with their back to the stage until the main act comes on, and even then figure out they only know 3 songs and wander off. You wont be able to hear Tom Odell. I wanted to go for The National alone, but always hated the Hyde Park experience

I've been a to Hyde Park a couple of times previously - The Stones last year plus the free Levellers and The Beat gig the year before. I was reasonably near the front and really enjoyed the Stones. I never noticed anything too awful with the sound that night to be honest although it could have been tweaked a bit louder maybe.

The news that I won't be able to hear Tom Odell is the best news I've heard all day.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here