Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Modern day cricket.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The 2005 Ashes contest was without a doubt the greatest sporting contest I've ever witnessed. Two great teams playing five games which were pretty much on a knife edge all the way through. I can't recall too many truly great ODI's or 20/20's.

Whereas I can vividly recall Gooch's 333* against India and his 154* against a prime West Indies attack.

Atherton's 185* in Joberg

Devon Malcom's 9-57 at the Oval against South Africa

Test cricket will always be the true benchmark of a cricketers greatness.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The 2005 Ashes contest was without a doubt the greatest sporting contest I've ever witnessed. Two great teams playing five games which were pretty much on a knife edge all the way through. I can't recall too many truly great ODI's or 20/20's.

Whereas I can vividly recall Gooch's 333* against India and his 154* against a prime West Indies attack.

Atherton's 185* in Joberg

Devon Malcom's 9-57 at the Oval against South Africa

Test cricket will always be the true benchmark of a cricketers greatness.

correct

remember John Edrich fending off the Windies pace attack,someone ran on to the pitch with an artifical large bat and gave it to him

yeah,Devon Malcolm,forgot about that,Gladstone Small was brilliant down under too

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
correct

remember John Edrich fending off the Windies pace attack,someone ran on to the pitch with an artifical large bat and gave it to him

yeah,Devon Malcolm,forgot about that,Gladstone Small was brilliant down under too

Racking my brain for others

Dominic Corks hatrick against the Windies in the mid nineties

Mark Butcher Headingley 2001 against the Aussies

Harmison taking 8-15 (I think) away in the Caribbean

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Test Match Cricket is, of course, the holy grail and that, I am sure, without fear of contradiction.

The fact is, however, that the economics of the sport dictate that other means need to be considered which will financially promote cricket in the long term.

I understand that the county championship becomes to some extent locked down in the height of summer to allow for the promotion of 20/20 etc. for the purpose of promoting cricket to, for one example, children on school holidays.

It seems, as I understand, that it is such things which help support test match cricket.

Having said that, nothing can better support test match cricket than the fantastic spectacle of the current series in South Africa which has been far beyond expectation and will hopefully create much new interest in the sport.

My understanding only of course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have been lovestruck since John Snow days. It's comparable to excitable, or not, train spotting.

Don't remember John Snow. Loved Peter West and Richie Benaud on telly (and Tom Graveney) and also listening to R4 lying in bed when the Ashes were down under. CMJ, Brian Johnson and Blowers.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
TMS for.those dirty jobs you put off that you never really want to do. Then you start and before it,s all day in the Garage,Garden,Loft with the radio on and TMS.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
@%1;Remember listening to this in bed on the radio in 1971.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-day-snow-stopped-play-in-the-sydney-test-20101217-190qh.html

Magical memories of London streets being full of men standing outside tv shops watching Bob Willis bowling out the convicts after the Botham and Dilley heroics at Headingley 1981.

Managed to get on the hill at the SCG a few times when working in Australia 81/82 early 83 Ashes. A boyhood ambition fulfilled.
A year after I returned I met the now wife in London. Channel 4 had the rights to air Neighbours and the Ashes tests live from Australia. She could not understand why I had to watch television all night. Happy days. We won the Ashes downunder 84 or 85 got The Cricketer mags for it up in the attic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Unfortunately, players seems less adept at playing it and the public in many test playing nations are staying away. That said, it's the ultimate form of the game and I love it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When I as a kid during the school summer holidays if there was a test on I would set my alarm for 10:50 so I was up just in time for start of play, and watch all day and same thing re lunch and tea. If it was raining when I woke up I was distraught......

Never had the same need for any form of one day cricket, but happy to watch a bit now and then and do enjoy a summer Friday evening at Hove.

It's funny how things change as you get older. I remember as a kid in the 70's, if there was a test match on, dad would take some time off work to do some decorating or something, which always involved him hogging the telly to watch the cricket, and I hated it as I wanted to watch the kids holiday tv programmes! Nowadays, it's gone full circle and I've been known to take days off work so I can watch all five days of a test.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Test match cricket is the pinnacle. Nobody will get remembered for just being a great one day / 20/20 player.

There is nothing better in sport for me than settling into the armchair to watch a days test cricket..... Preferably ball in hand and it jagging all over the place just to make it even better!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Has to be said this current crop of players World wide is probably the poorest bunch I've ever seen. Appreciate a lot of legends have recently retired but very few great players remain at the moment. Batsman struggle to construct an innings and too many bowlers lack control. Could this be attributed to the amount of ODI's & 20/20's? Probably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here