Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Moder to score 1st and England to win 2-1 170/1

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Why do you do this to yourself? You are so much better than this. I hope when I'm your age I am still consistently able to show decorum and patience towards others. You are leaving a legacy on how you want to be remembered by friends, family and the community. Be the good version of you, not the bitter, pedantic old man. You owe it to yourself.

You forgot condescending...oh hang on, you didn't...:moo:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Moder is a really classy footballer and for me would be a starter in our team his issue is the competition for places in his preferred position.

I just hope he gets his chance to nail down a starting position in his preferred position and does not become a utility player for us as I think he is better than that

There is competition, but surely he's good enough to start. To me he looks in front of MacAllister, at least on a par with Gross. Last night he showed what he can do from his best position of left midfield. I'd have him in for sure.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Pointing out a deficiency that cost us our first major trophy in over 50 years is not meltish.

Especially when just 3 months later the manager makes exactly the same mistake.

Against Italy it took him 20 minutes to react to the substitutions of Barella and Immobile by which time they had equalised. Last night he allowed Poland to make 5 substitutions without countering them with one of his own.

Would Graham Potter have failed to make a substitution for so long under those circumstances?

Poland's 3 subs on 80mins changed the complexion of the game. I didn't really see why we needed Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Kane all still on the pitch, could easily have swapped one of 2 of them for Trent Arnold / Trippier / Henderson. It's not like Southgate hasn't played his sub fullbacks in midfield before and by choice at that.

If that was a WC finals group game, or a knockout phase at the tournament, you could be going out for an error like that in a game you've pretty much dominated. I'm really positive about England at the moment, and the criticism is because I think they could win a tournament IF they add some crucial belief, guile, shrewdness etc. to their game. It's these little moments that are the difference between semi final or final defeats rather than wins.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Poland's 3 subs on 80mins changed the complexion of the game. I didn't really see why we needed Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Kane all still on the pitch, could easily have swapped one of 2 of them for Trent Arnold / Trippier / Henderson. It's not like Southgate hasn't played his sub fullbacks in midfield before and by choice at that.

If that was a WC finals group game, or a knockout phase at the tournament, you could be going out for an error like that in a game you've pretty much dominated. I'm really positive about England at the moment, and the criticism is because I think they could win a tournament IF they add some crucial belief, guile, shrewdness etc. to their game. It's these little moments that are the difference between semi final or final defeats rather than wins.

There was a bit of Brighton about it. Look the better side, but don't create loads. Have one good moment, can't get the crucial second. Try to see it out in the last 5. Concede

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
There was a bit of Brighton about it. Look the better side, but don't create loads. Have one good moment, can't get the crucial second. Try to see it out in the last 5. Concede

Definitely the better side, controlled pretty much 85mins of the game. At around 75mins with Poland getting frustrated and tackles flying in, I thought the likes of Pep, Tuchel, Nino etc. must be wincing and hiding behind the sofa pleading with Southgate to make some changes.

If it's all going well and the team looks well set, don't necessarily feel you need to make subs unnecessarily. However with 2 subs made, then on 80mins bringing 3 fresh pairs of legs on, their tactics and approach is clearly going to radically change and they're going to go for it, so however set you were, you're going to had to adapt, so you may as well bring fresh legs on as you're dealing with a new threat anyway.

It really is these fine margins that win tournaments. Before anyone accuses me of being negative - I do think we can win a tournament, the criticism is massively positive because we aren't far away.

Watching that first episode of Fever Pitch! on BBC, you remember how close MU were to not winning their first PL title, that Fergie might have gone, but once that belief clicked in, once the mentality just clicked over, that was it, history made. Feel like England could be the same in a way, just that click of real belief, both from the players and Southgate believing in himself and his decisions.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Definitely the better side, controlled pretty much 85mins of the game. At around 75mins with Poland getting frustrated and tackles flying in, I thought the likes of Pep, Tuchel, Nino etc. must be wincing and hiding behind the sofa pleading with Southgate to make some changes.

If it's all going well and the team looks well set, don't necessarily feel you need to make subs unnecessarily. However with 2 subs made, then on 80mins bringing 3 fresh pairs of legs on, their tactics and approach is clearly going to radically change and they're going to go for it, so however set you were, you're going to had to adapt, so you may as well bring fresh legs on as you're dealing with a new threat anyway.

It really is these fine margins that win tournaments. Before anyone accuses me of being negative - I do think we can win a tournament, the criticism is massively positive because we aren't far away.

Watching that first episode of Fever Pitch! on BBC, you remember how close MU were to not winning their first PL title, that Fergie might have gone, but once that belief clicked in, once the mentality just clicked over, that was it, history made. Feel like England could be the same in a way, just that click of real belief, both from the players and Southgate believing in himself and his decisions.

This is true. All i'd say is Southgate's recent record is very good. Even the best team's don't win every game. Poland away not a gimme.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Think we need a song for Moder (see below) ;)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Totally agree.

But let's not forget he is only 22.
Plenty of time to secure his place in our starting 11.

He is quite a laid back type of footballer, some may say he is lazy...he doesn't run round like a headless chicken. He does the simple things correctly and makes very few mistakes. He has also a shed load of skill and has a killer pass in the locker. Lovely looking footballer in more ways than one. :blush::)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He is quite a laid back type of footballer, some may say he is lazy...he doesn't run round like a headless chicken. He does the simple things correctly and makes very few mistakes. He has also a shed load of skill and has a killer pass in the locker. Lovely looking footballer in more ways than one. :blush::)

Yeh he plays within himself. The trick that does come out is occasional, as a surprise. Apart from that he's a low risk player. Get it, play it simple

The one criticism I would make is that, quite often his teams mate is on the ball and he's not especially moving into position to take a pass

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yeh he plays within himself. The trick that does come out is occasional, as a surprise. Apart from that he's a low risk player. Get it, play it simple

The one criticism I would make is that, quite often his teams mate is on the ball and he's not especially moving into position to take a pass

That's the notable difference in MacAllister this season for me, he seems to be demanding the ball and always wanting it. Real sign of confidence at this level.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I would rather have the Mod-ster in my team than Jack Grealish. Moder was diligent and steady.... then blew the game apart with the one moment of quality from any player (Kane's goal was a bit too flukey/poor keeping). Grealish made many nice, short passes on the left wing and exchanges with Mount that carried on..... until they lost it or passed it backwards, no end result or effectiveness at all. Plus of course plenty of diving/looking for a freekick rather than, again, anything effective. Love Moder.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
There is competition, but surely he's good enough to start. To me he looks in front of MacAllister, at least on a par with Gross. Last night he showed what he can do from his best position of left midfield. I'd have him in for sure.
Do we know what his preferred position actually is? Think I've seen him on the left (either LWB or more advanced) more than any other position, and he's looked pretty effective on the whole. I don't know how he'd fair alongside Bissouma in CM for example, as his stand out strength seems to be the clever timing of his advances up field & taking up attacking positions off the ball rather than dictating/dominating play on it (like we might see from Lallana). Although he does seem to be quite good at most things.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Still think Southgate needs to bring an attacking coach in

We are quite easy to defend against when up against semi decent sides.

Southgate seems like a decent enough bloke who knows how to keep a happy camp. However, he is a tactical novice who has shown no ability/inclination to change from his rigid defensive formation, with talented attackers in front, even when it is not working. He seems to have the skills of a good assistant rather than an international coach. He excels at ensuring that the players deal with the pressure of tournament football, but he lost the key matches in the last two tournaments because he could not respond to his opponents' in-match tactical changes. He doesn't need an attacking coach, he needs a top level tactician willing to teach him how to press an advantage. His comments last night, saying that he didn't make changes because we were in total control were laughable from someone in a job at his level. We scored after 71 minutes. Anyone could tell you that the opposition's response would be to try to become more attacking. The best managers keep control by adapting before it happens. Fresh legs at the back and pace in attack for the counter were obvious options, or he could have sacrificed an attacker and packed the midfield to stifle supply, but he once again did nothing, showing a worrying repeat of an inability to predict his opponent's move and take proactive action to counter it.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Moder's feint leading to the goal was great...but I think he gave the ball away and then failed to close down for Kane's goal. Still raw and inconsistent but fantastic potential.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Apart from the last sentence (why do you do that? It just makes you look like gammon dresed as bacon pretending to be gammon) I'm with you 110%.

People who take wormy club partizanship to England games should take up knitting as far as I'm concerned.

It’s a joke man - tongue in cheek joke!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Pretty much exactly how I felt about the game as well - very little threat in the final third, no real measure of control over a game where we were comfortable and conceded to the only good chance created against us. Disappointing, but a good result in full context of the qualification group.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Moder's feint leading to the goal was great...but I think he gave the ball away and then failed to close down for Kane's goal. Still raw and inconsistent but fantastic potential.

Exactly. Felt bad for him when Kane scored...but luckily he redeemed himself with the 'TAXI FOR SHAW' :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here