• My phone is not nearby [another room] so I would not be woken by a text

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Other [please explain]

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I leave it in another room, normally I get Vodaphone texting me about something I don't want, if anyone dies I'll catch up with them in the mourning.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I switch mine off before I go to sleep each night, partly to stop it distracting me (even though I have no friends, but that's beside the point), and also to conserve charge.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Mine is left on for urgent family calls, I wouldn't be impressed if someone sent me a text at that time of night.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To use as an alarm?

This is the only reason I leave my phone on, I leave it on silent but make sure the alarm is on. I've got an alarm clock too but if there's a power cut it's not very effective.

Of course I nearly always wake up 2 minutes before my alarm is due to go off.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I use the "do not disturb" function and it's set between 22.30 and 08.00 so I don't get woken up by emails/texts throughout the night, I need my phone nearby as I use it as my alarm clock.

The do not disturb function is good as it will only ring if someone calls again within a minute so if there is a family emergency I will be reachable. Everyone knows to ring twice if something serious is happening.

Is that a spongy family thing that you have arranged between yourself that all family members know about?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Is that a spongy family thing that you have arranged between yourself that all family members know about?

Yep. But they also know what constitutes "urgent". Ie close family unwell, broken down car, other accident etc. and this one is directed to my folks, which is that not bein able to use their new PC is not an emergency!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Because of issues, I am using my phone for frequent alarms, so it needs to be on. Last week I had alarms set for every hour through the night. This week I'm trying every two hours. I suspect I will stay at every two hours for a while.

I don't tend to get texts during the night, but I do get notifications about f/b posts etc. which also wake me up as I need to be a light sleeper at the mo.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Because of issues, I am using my phone for frequent alarms, so it needs to be on. Last week I had alarms set for every hour through the night. This week I'm trying every two hours. I suspect I will stay at every two hours for a while.

I don't tend to get texts during the night, but I do get notifications about f/b posts etc. which also wake me up as I need to be a light sleeper at the mo.

You need to turn off all notifications from your apps (unless they're critical to your health).

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
You'd only keep it on with sound if you were prepared to be disturbed. Like when i'm on call. Other than that you are glutton for punishment.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
As the designated domestic taxi driver I regularly get calls/texts between midnight and 2 to pick up my teenage girls from parties and clubs.
I'm usually grumpy but always happy to get them home safe.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
For me, rules for sending texts are the same as phoning someone. I wouldn't call someone at midnight unless I'm well aware they are up and about.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I just stick my phone on flight mode - that way it's on in case I want to check the time or anything during the night, but it can't receive any messages/be called and also doesn't drain the battery looking for signal/wifi/updates for any apps.

During the day, the only apps/functions set to have notifications of any kind are WhatsApp and text messages (a single vibrate and subtle noise only) and incoming calls. I find it very annoying when others have phones constantly making noise as they have hundreds of apps shouting at them. I've even turned off the push function on email (work and personal) so it'll only refresh my inboxes when I open them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here