mobile phone advice for work and play

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear all,

After years of not owning my own mobile phone.

I am having to invest my very precious cash into one of these boy toys.

I may well be having to go self employed very soon, so key:

is the accesibility to my e-mails and internet,
my PC is windows,
easy to use,
a good contract,
camera is a consideration, as it will save lugging one around,
looking good, having a smart screen, ability to play music, video's to keep the little ones amused on train trips are bonuses.

LC

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apple iPhone or htc Hero, if you are willing to pay the monthly tariff.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
One of the joys of being independent / freelance, is that there's no IT Department to stop you buying the most productive and user-friendly kit out there, ie Apple. First thing I did was get a Macbook, and when my old phone got too unreliable, an iPhone. No regrets.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apple iPhone or htc Hero, if you are willing to pay the monthly tariff.

iPhone is great but pricey

HTC Hero is gnerally not as good but a damn sight cheaper.

(I'm about to change to Hero myself)

EDIT: jsut seen the bit about PC integration: The iPhone is not all that hot about synching with PCs - if you're looking to work with Outlook. I don't know what Hero is like

Last edited:

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
nokia 6700 classic i got, which has all things you want, and so easy to use, but bit too good for 24/7 work usage.. in my opinion o course !!!:rolleyes:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It may be worth considering two phones, one for work and one for play. It depends on whether you want to be able to switch your job off at the end of each working day.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
If you want the full on business functionality then really you're looking at either the iPhone, a Blackberry or the HTC Hero running Android.

And unless you really want the hardware keyboard over the on screen one then I'd ignore the Blackberries and make it a toss up between the more expensive but very classy iPhone or the cheaper HTC Hero which runs Google's very exciting Android operating system.

I don't think one handset trumps the other when it comes to bread and butter functionality but there are more fun and games to be had with the iPhone at the moment however the Android marketplace (where all the apps are downloaded) is ever growing so the HTC isn't so far behind it anymore.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
iPhone is great but pricey

HTC Hero is gnerally not as good but a damn sight cheaper.

(I'm about to change to Hero myself)

EDIT: jsut seen the bit about PC integration: The iPhone is not all that hot about synching with PCs - if you're looking to work with Outlook. I don't know what Hero is like

Made the move from iPhone to Hero about 3 months ago myself, haven't looked back.

Made the move from iPhone to Hero about 3 months ago myself, haven't looked back.

Interesting, from reading pevious postings you were a strong advocate of iphones?

LC?

Sorry for my ignorance but if I pick up a an e-mail on an ordinary non windows phone, could it still open an excel or word document

Yours and thanks everyone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am still a strong believer in iPhones, I just rate the HTC Hero very highly as well. It's powered by a company behind Google, and early HTC's were known as "Google phones".

Yes, you would be able to open Excel and Word docs, however you may need to download (probably free) apps from the Android (HTC Hero's operating system) Marketplace to make the usability of said files easier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you need to write/respond to emails then the list starts and stops with the blackberry. people i know with both a BB and iPhone all prefer the BB for emailing. if you need more access to general internet then iPhone with the bigger screen is best of the two.

personally, i'm waiting a few months to see what comes of the Google phone, or the next version of HTC range for alot lower price than the iPhone.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports