Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mo Salah: will he, won't he?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Could this be another Andy Carroll moment when they blow £80m on Che Adams?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'd bite their hands off for 120 million. He's 31 and they have billions of forwards.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Big news away from the Albion today is that Liverpool have rejected a £150m Saudi offer for Salah.

Unless they're expecting an increased offer, that's an awful lot of money to turn down for a 31 year old.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Big news away from the Albion today is that Liverpool have rejected a £150m Saudi offer for Salah.

Unless they're expecting an increased offer, that's an awful lot of money to turn down for a 31 year old.
I expect if that offer had arrived earlier this window they would have accepted it.

It would be very difficult, near impossible to get a replacement in at present.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jim White and that lying **** Jacobs were obsessed with this on TS this morning. They now call Jacobs their “Saudi football expert” :lolol::wanker:.

Three hours on and off of “we hear that the club might make an offer”, discussing that as if a deal was close. TS even fixing the fee. Their school teachers would’ve definitely had them down as Grade E essay wafflers.
I caught a bit of Jim Shite on the radio this morning explaining how the news of the £150m offer had sent shockwaves through the studio and everyone couldn't believe it. Which is odd, seeing that the vast majority of people seemed to have been expecting it to come for a while now, seeing as it's been all over the media, including Talkshite's sister outlets SSN, The Sun and many others!

Then he was frothing even MORE at the gash after Sam 'Whatsthe' Matterface revealed that the rejected bid would be followed up by one for £175m. Poor Jim couldn't quite believe what he was hearing, but he did his utmost to tabloid it up to the max!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The whole thing stinks and it would be both encouraging and heartwarming if Liverpool continue to tell them to stuff their money where the sun don’t shine. Having said that, they would be absolutely bloody stupid to turn the money down if another offer comes in. I reckon they have enough in their squad to keep them going until mid season.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The whole thing stinks and it would be both encouraging and heartwarming if Liverpool continue to tell them to stuff their money where the sun don’t shine. Having said that, they would be absolutely bloody stupid to turn the money down if another offer comes in. I reckon they have enough in their squad to keep them going until mid season.
It's an interesting situation. And yes, I agree with you that they'll be fine until mid-season at least.

There's little doubt they'll qualify from their Europa League group. The FA Cup 3rd Round is in January, so no loss there.

Lining up a quality replacement to come in on January 1st in just 4 months time wouldn't be unreasonable. They've got forwards.

Do they really believe that they can challenge City for the title having finished 5th last year?

As much as Salah's graced the English game, unless another offer comes in, I think they could be left with a want-away player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s totally disgusting.

Sky reporting that the Saudis will keep bidding until they get him, could go over £200m.

Liverpool will lose a legend to semi-retirement in the sand league because billionaires want him to perform for them.

FIFA need to step in and stop this shit. (Yes, I know they won’t and are a part of it).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A huge mistake by the PL (due diligence .... my arse) in allowing Saudi Arabia to buy Newcastle. They are to all intents also the owners of the Saudi league.

They can use that for obvious other advantages, but in addition unsettle players at PL rivals to Newcastle. Don't just think of this as an non-Albion matter, we would've finished a place higher last season without the vast spend on Isak etc.

For many reasons, the takeover was a disgrace. Sometimes I think, wouldn't it be nice to follow a club untainted by the top two divisions money, money, money.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
150m rejected.
Next bid expected at 200m.
I don’t expect him to go now, but depending on results and the state of the table come Xmas, it’s a different story.
I think he has lost a little pace watching him in the last 12 months, but mentally he’s super sharp to compensate.
£200m effectively pays for our new midfield, and BM Sane could be his replacement.
The king is dead, long live the king! Such is the way of football and life.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Liverpool are mad to reject that money for a 31 year old.

Club have refused to appease fans over the sensible option of selling.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s totally disgusting.

Sky reporting that the Saudis will keep bidding until they get him, could go over £200m.

Liverpool will lose a legend to semi-retirement in the sand league because billionaires want him to perform for them.

FIFA need to step in and stop this shit. (Yes, I know they won’t and are a part of it).
Putting aside geopolitics, the Saudi's human rights record and other dubious practises for a moment, there's a huge amount of hypocrisy about this issue in this country. I don't think you'll find any other European teams and leagues who have sympathy for Premier League teams on this matter. What they're doing is no different to what the Premier League has done for years.

Why should FIFA get involved unless you want them to do the same here and stop clubs like Brighton being able to buy players from the side who won the French league two years ago purely because of a quirk of geography that we're part of the richest league in the world?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
What's going to be done about this? Anything? Before it's too late? Maybe it is too late. Even if it only lasts another year the amount of money the top teams will have syphoned off from this will have completely distorted things beyond repair. Chelsea should have been f***ed this year. Totally bailed out.
It's really, really worrying.
Liverpool would be mad to turn this down if they Saudis keep raising their bid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here